A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,161
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I WANNA SILKSCREEN!  (Read 65663 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

abricot
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2003 11:19:53 PM »

I'd really like to look into getting some silkscreening supplies, but before then I've been using the "stencil" method to make t's... So far I've have no big gripes about the method... Ok, I guess my gripe is that make a stencil ready image is sometimes a big-pain-in-the-butt...

This is a tee I made for my boyfriends birthday present... He really likes Paul Mc Cartney and I've come to notice that official Macca shirts seriously lack in the chic department.

After making the main part of the image, using a small paintbrush I highlighted parts of the print using silver fabric paint.... The ragged edges on the bottom of the image were maded using very little paint on a napkin and smearing it on the dges... (looks sort of like faded black bliobs in the picture... but I assure you it looks cooler in person)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
envelopers
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2004 09:03:44 AM »

nice detail work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2004 11:44:03 AM »

that is VERY cool...I hope he enjoys it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Local Girl Denise
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2004 01:31:40 AM »

how much do screens and photo emulsion usually cost (in canadian dollars) because I use to do screeprinting at my school with the supplies there and i wanted to start doing it again and i know my old teacher would let me use the darkroom and some of the equipment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I use to be with it. Then they changed what it was. Now what im with isnt it and whats it scares me.
Local Girl Denise
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2004 01:31:49 AM »

how much do screens and photo emulsion usually cost (in canadian dollars) because I use to do screeprinting at my school with the supplies there and i wanted to start doing it again and i know my old teacher would let me use the darkroom and some of the equipment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I use to be with it. Then they changed what it was. Now what im with isnt it and whats it scares me.
murdercitygrrrl

Logic will break your heart.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2004 03:36:33 PM »

Has anyone here done much multi-color screen printing? It looks like a huge pain in the rear.

What about printing on paper? I'm considering doing some paper prints for my house, but I'm not exactly sure what to use--I'm want the screenprinted flier-type effect that a lot of bands use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raine
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2004 01:00:47 PM »

I was super excited to try silkscreening last summer and went out and bought all the stuff for it. Then I got busy, and the stuff is still sitting in my closet. But I have some renewed enthusiasm now.
I thought I'd share some of the links I found when I was researching.
You can get supplies from Opus in Canada. If you email them, they will send you their silkscreen catalogue so you can figure out the prices http://www.opusframing.com/sales/catalogue.html
They also have a tutorial http://www.opusframing.com/library/pdf/intro_screenprinting.pdf. It doesn't say how to expose your screen tho, these ones do:
http://www.986disposable.com/site_pages/diy_pages/screen_printing_guide.htm
http://www.reuels.com/reuels/page512.html#PEM

I have a couple of questions that I couldn't find information on, if anyone has answers. Do I need a special photo bulb, or can I use a regular household lightbulb?
Also, when I print my transparency, can I print it right off my computer, or do I need to use a special printer to make sure it is opaque?
When I bought my photoemulsion the guy told me I had to buy special emulsion remover to clean the screen, not just bleach, but everywhere else it says to just use bleach, which is right?
Hope somebody knows, any help is appreciated so I actually get up the nerve to start this project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Garbage Collector

Are we there yet?

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2004 02:38:34 PM »

Print Gocco -- the Easybake Oven of Silkscreen Printing

Someone in this thread previously mentioned Print Gocco.  If you are new to silkscreen, that's a great way to go -- it's super easy to use, there's virtually no set up, it doesn't make a big mess and it's almost impossible to screw up because it's so simple.  You can buy them at craft stores and online. (Probably cheaper online.)

Here's a link to how it works.
http://www.gocco.co.za/goccouse.htm

The downside to the Gocco is the size limitation and if you need really tight registration for multiple print layers that could be a challenge.  It works really well for making cards, small book arts projects and small-medium size images on tshirts.  If you wanted to make personalized labels for your crafts, Gocco would be a great way to do it.

"Real" silkscreen is a pretty messy process (but I'm a sloppy printer ... you might not make as much of a mess as I do).  Even after taking a couple classes where we did different types of silkscreen, I'm not sure I'd want to do that in my apartment.  (I would if I had a garage and a nearby hose in the backyard!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tikibird

crazy... but not cruel

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2004 12:48:33 PM »

While on the whole silk screening topic:
Just wanted to mention that Peach Beserk (funky clothing shop in Toronto) offers Silk Screen Printing workshops and also have a "How-to-Silkscreen" DVD for sale.
Check it out at their site:
http://www.peachberserk.com/

PS:
That Paul McCartney print really rocks! I want one! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

make crafts...not war!
ChimpGod
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2004 04:43:40 PM »

Hello everyone! I recently became interested in silkscreening and I have a few questions that I can't seem to find answers for.. for example.. If you want to use a logo/picture etc. from the internet, and it's smaller than what you would like to put on the t-shirt, what do people use to increase the size to put it on the shirt? photoshop? And if you have to increase the size of the picture/design does it make the quality look like poo?  Because generally when you make a picture larger in photoshop it becomes grainey. I'm curious because I want to have some custom shirts made. I have a lot more questions that I think of every so often, so please if anyone knows a lot about silkscreening/embroidering add me to your msn messenger, yahoo messenger, or ICQ.

Msn: yellowchimp@hotmail.com
Yahoo: chimpgod@yahoo.com

Thank you,

- ChimpGod
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Craft a Duct Tape Tote Bag
How to Craft a Duct Tape Rose
How to Craft a Duct Tape Tie
How to Craft a Duct Tape Hat
How to Craft a Duct Tape Halloween Bag
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...