A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,589
Currently Running With Scissors:
714 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I WANNA SILKSCREEN!  (Read 65008 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

travtrav

i might love you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2004 05:45:22 PM »

thanks. i just remember sitting there on the floor reading the instructions that came with my dit for like half an hour going, "okay... WHAT?!" and then i just went for it and was like, "OOOHHHHHH!!!"

travis
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009 12:44:02 PM by rackycoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

travis<br />www.ilikeapplejuice .com
paris
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2004 05:02:15 PM »

So how do you all that stencil get the actual stencil to come out so straight? Just take a really long time cutting it? Also, where do I buy decent stencil paper? I went to my local craft store today and all I could find were pre-cut ones.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004 06:10:30 PM by paris » THIS ROCKS   Logged
paigeywithwings
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2004 06:28:51 AM »

I have a question.

I used to do this thing in high school, known as Sign Shop.  We screen printed lots and lots and lots of t-shirts, for buisnesses, events, school prom, etc.  We had to use this huge ass dryer thing though, for the ink to dry.  When you screen print at home, how do you let the ink dry?  Will it just dry on it's own?

Thanks,
Paigey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
helenpaige.etsy.com
travtrav

i might love you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2004 11:16:52 AM »

what i do is let them air dry while working on everything else, then i get a sheet of paper or fabric and put it over the ink and iron (cotton setting) both sides of the shirt for about a minute. when i'm done with all of the shirts, i throw the shirts in the clothes dryer (as in the one next to the clothes washer) and run a 40 minute cycle on pretty high heat. this also gets them pre-shrunk (if the shirts aren't already pre-shrunk) for the people who will be wearing them.

travis
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009 12:44:32 PM by rackycoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

marshmallowfluff
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2004 05:56:01 PM »

speedball is a great company for silkscreening stuff..
my boyfriend bought me a kit from some store in toronto. its awesome.

and silkscreening is easy and fun... not very cheap tho. hehe

www.speedballart.co m

good luck!

I just finished silk screening my first t-shirt using the photo emulsion method. It turned out great!

BUT..
I have a question about re-using screens. Should I rinse and clean the ink off the screen between every printing? What is the best procedure for making multiple prints from the same screen?

You can see my first t-shirt here:
http://www.csmithhart.com/blog/archives/000032.html Cheesy

Your shirt is soo cute!

I never have done silkscreening before, but i have that speedball kit... still unopened, cause im nervous about doing it and having to buy all the screens and stuff, but i noticed that you said that you purchased a cheap frame from Ikea, and that it warped from getting wet.  Well i was wondering if anybody knew if you could use stretcher bars, like what you use to stretch canvas? Cause they are pretty good and heavy duty.

I hope no body asked that question yet, cause i was just skiming through the thread...

Thanks,
Liz Smiley

oh and i noticed that somebody posted about getting the supplies and that michales dosnt carry it, well the one that i work at, has the kits from speedball, there $50 bucks and they had some screens next to it, but it looked like they were about $20 each, i cant believe that they cost that much... i dont think they have the inks sold seperatly but they do have a ton of fabric paint,, i believe that would work.. not sure though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hand crafted jewelry and more
http://www.lizzybethcreations.com
travtrav

i might love you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2004 06:12:45 PM »

don't be scurred! and didn't your speedball kit come with a screen? mine did.
just do it! it's so fun and easy. you'll do it once and go, "oh, that's not at all like i thought it would be."

you can probably use stretcher bars. as long as you use sturdy wood, the screen will stretch nicely and you'll be in show bootie business. i think i even saw a screen made out of a modified picture frame once.

travis
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009 12:45:00 PM by rackycoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

marshmallowfluff
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2004 09:58:53 PM »

hehe, thanks Smiley

yeah my kit came with a screen, i just never opened the kit, because i didnt know if i would use it or not, but now i really want to try it. ill post a pic if it turns out, hopefully before the summer is over,,, cause i procrastinate too much
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hand crafted jewelry and more
http://www.lizzybethcreations.com
Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2004 12:05:42 PM »

I just bought the Speedball Delux silkscreening kit at A.C. Moore for about $70.  They have a cheaper one but it doesn't include the how-to video so I shelled out the extra money.  They put coupons in the newspaper for time to time, I saved 40%.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rose_theghost
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2004 01:36:36 AM »

After lurking for a month or so, I'm finally joining the board (Hello!). Anyway I'd been wanting to try to silk screen for a while and reading all of your posts motivated me enough to buy one of those Speedball kits and yesterday I actually did it! I'm already totally hooked. Onto my questions: I'd like to start making some good quality personalized shirts for friends and was wondering what kind of shirts and fabric inks (both with as many colour options as possible) do you guys recommend? How much screen filler (or rather, how little) should I use? Also, is it ok that not all of the screen filler and paint didn't come off my screen after scrubbing for an hour? Sorry for so many questions! Thanks, and once again, I'm so excited to finally join - this forum is terrific!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phunkpunk
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2004 05:29:53 AM »

those pictures are actually excellent!!
 i wanna do it! but i cant afford to buy a kit!
 there must be a cheap student way of doing it where i dont have to buy hardly anything??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Photoshop Text Look More Professional
How to Sample Photoshop Colors From Anywhere on Your Desktop
The Most Powerful Button In Lightroom
Creating a Single Photo Composite in Photoshop
Photo Restoration Tips and Tricks
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...