A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,912
Currently Running With Scissors:
409 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bamboo Yarn  (Read 782 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ChloeZ

this is why graffitti rocks

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 18, 2006 03:24:20 PM »

I want to make a scarf for my vegan (non-wool wearing) boyfriend and was thinking about bamboo yarn.

Is it warm? Is it too silky to be "Manly"? Is it a pain (splitting, etc)?

Any thoughts on nice quality non-wool yarn? Acrylic is shunned a lot of the time and cotton isn't super warm for when the snow starts. . .

Thanks for your ideas!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.knitmoi.blogspot.com

I really really really would love to have Interweave Knits Spring 2007 for those Eunny Chang entrelac socks. . . Does anyone want to swap for it?! I have yarn, I can sew, embroider, knit.
talmina
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006 05:55:27 PM »

I'm not sure how warm it would be, but the bamboo yarn I have actually handled wouldn't be too silky for a man-scarf.  I haven't knit with it yet, just fondled the sample swatch in my LYS, I'm waiting til Feb when they start stocking it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neekie

gauge schmauge.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006 12:52:45 AM »

I'm currently knitting a shawl in SWTC bamboo yarn for my mom.. It does have a sheen to it, but if you get a dark color I don't think it will look too silky. Not too sure about how warm it is though, so far while knitting it, it's been pretty light and drapey (dunno if drapey is considered unmanly). I've been using metal needles, at first I wasn't used to how slippery the yarn was on the needles and my tension was a bit wonky. Lastly SWTC bamboo is a chained yarn (I think that's what it's called..?) so it's not splitty, but the individual strands can get caught on teenytiny things like bits of my stitch markers got stuck in the yarn sometimes (shouldn't be a problem if you use better stitchmarkers than mine...)

also, acrylic isn't so bad and evil, if it's soft and it's a nice colour I'd go for it as well (:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluey
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006 01:17:12 AM »

I had been knitting with katia bamboo (60% bamboo and 40% cotton). I find it soft and nice to touch.

Personally i think that katia bamboo is not suitable for a man scarf and it might not be warm enough for the winter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stormshade
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006 09:22:56 AM »

Although I adore bamboo, I don't think it will be good if you live in a very cold climate.  Also the bamboo I've worked with does have a sheen.
May I make a suggestion? Are you opposed to knitting with cotton?  If not then I would highly recommend Pakucho organic cotton for any vegan.  Not only is it animal friendly but you get the added environmental and socioeconomic benefits of the yarn.......the yarn is organic and undyed plus you are supporting Peruvian farmers.  I really love this yarn! It's super soft and has a slightly rustic look about it.  There are quite a few lovely colors to choose from, it's amazing that the cotton actually grows this way.
I say this yarn would be a perfect "manly" choice for your vegan bf.   He would be very impressed with the thoughtfulness you put into his gift; not to mention the bragging rights to a homemade item that any vegan would envy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See some pics of my knitting http://www.picturetrail.com/stormshade
ChloeZ

this is why graffitti rocks

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006 03:18:22 PM »

Hey Thanks guys!!

I can't wait to go and fondle me some bamboo -- I might skip it for the scarf because of the lack of warmth but will definately check out the Pakucho thanks for the tip!

Cotton is great too, or maybe a cotton acrylic blend for warmth.

All it means is some fun fun yarn shopping!

Thanks again for your words of widsom  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.knitmoi.blogspot.com

I really really really would love to have Interweave Knits Spring 2007 for those Eunny Chang entrelac socks. . . Does anyone want to swap for it?! I have yarn, I can sew, embroider, knit.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Free EBook?
Claire Legrand: What Are You Reading?
Crystal Chan: What Are You Reading?
The Frackers: Wildcatters Who Made It Big
John Tayman: How Byliner Pays Its Writers
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...