A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 570
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How's your Etsy shop doing now?  (Read 326349 times)
Tags for this thread: etsy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5390 on: August 19, 2008 03:58:21 AM »

Glad you're doing better Bea, and I hope things continue to improve.  Smiley

Been keeping an eye on this thread, and your shop to see how you're doing. So this is good news indeed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5391 on: August 19, 2008 07:53:22 AM »

Welcome back, BeaG, and I am so happy that you are on the road to recovery.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ren
Ren

controls bunnies writing literary works of genious

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5392 on: August 19, 2008 09:06:30 AM »

BeaG, glad to hear you're feeling much better. My nan has diabetes and I constantly worry about her.

Not sure whether the cuff is too expensive or not? I was basing it off how long it took me to create the embroidery, plus it took me a long while to draft the pattern too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5393 on: August 19, 2008 09:32:30 AM »

I don't know about your cuff prices, but your graphic design prices are way low. I understand you're catering towards a small business/hobbyist crowd, but as a fellow designer, I feel you're really selling yourself short. Way short.

BeaG, glad to hear you're feeling much better. My nan has diabetes and I constantly worry about her.

Not sure whether the cuff is too expensive or not? I was basing it off how long it took me to create the embroidery, plus it took me a long while to draft the pattern too.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: August 19, 2008 10:02:00 AM »

I think the graphic design prices are so tough on Etsy.  If she prices them too high, I don't think they'll sell on Etsy.  That market is saturated with graphic designing listings, unfortunately. Sad

I really like the cuffs.  I think their pricing is okay.  They are so detailed -- down to the little bunny buttons!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5395 on: August 19, 2008 01:07:25 PM »

You're right, etsy does have a lot of people selling design services. I don't think that undervaluing the work is the answer though. At this point, I'm not sure what is though. It just really rankles me to see people charging so far below the value of an item [any item, I'm just most intimately connected with the costs of design work].
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
sewbettie
« Reply #5396 on: August 19, 2008 02:46:47 PM »

welcome back beag! glad you are doing better now. etsy is so funny. sometimes no sales and then all the sudden several in one day. go figure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: http://craftyourselfrich.blogspot.com/
Etsy Shop: http://www.sewbettie.etsy.com

Sew Bettie is a collection of limited edition fabric, sewing tutorials and crafty kits.
Ren
Ren

controls bunnies writing literary works of genious

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5397 on: August 19, 2008 03:01:31 PM »

I don't know about your cuff prices, but your graphic design prices are way low. I understand you're catering towards a small business/hobbyist crowd, but as a fellow designer, I feel you're really selling yourself short. Way short.

I'm a designer by trade, and personally charge much higher than what I'm charging on Etsy for personal design services. I did have them a little higher, but after taking into account the type of prices Etsy users are asking for, I decided to lower them by around $20. I feel that a banner and avatar design will only take me a small portion of my time and is very justified at this price. The logo services I would prefer to charge more as I don't think a lot of people on Etsy truly appreciate the amount of work involved in creating an original logo. I am very much the type of designer who could spend days doing background research before even starting on ideas. I just know I won't get any sales if I charge what it SHOULD be.

I think my personal problem with a lot of design listings on Etsy is that many of them are by people who don't do it for a living and have set the bar too low to start with, so it makes those of us who can offer a professional service seem far too expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: August 19, 2008 03:09:10 PM »

I think my personal problem with a lot of design listings on Etsy is that many of them are by people who don't do it for a living and have set the bar too low to start with, so it makes those of us who can offer a professional service seem far too expensive.[/size]

That is exactly the case.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5399 on: August 19, 2008 03:16:47 PM »

I think you're exactly right, Ren, and that carries over into other areas as well.  My sister is a clothing and theater designer, and she's always ragging on me for underselling.  I research my prices on Etsy, and they're pretty much what the market would bear.  In other venues, I know my work would be worth more.  I think your cuff is priced right for Etsy, and but probably not as high as it is worth.  I do embroidery/applique, too, and I know I undersell on that, because of the work involved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 570 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ambient Art - Sisley
Ambient Art - Seurat
Ambient Art - Renoir
Ambient Art - Pissaro
Ambient Art - Morisot
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...