A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
535 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 570
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How's your Etsy shop doing now?  (Read 271575 times)
Tags for this thread: etsy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hollylynne

step away from the cashmere

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5430 on: August 26, 2008 01:47:51 PM »

good luck w/ your market, pinky!  i like the disembodied thinggies in jars, very cheeky  Cheesy  thats interesting about the purses.  i had a really hard time selling purses on etsy, i always felt if i could sell them in person they'd do better.  wonder if there's something to that? 

so i had an interesting etsy experience today.  i had a buyer last winter who ordered toonnnns of neckwarmers wholesale.  she came back to me this year to do more but i turned her down (imagine that! turning DOWN business!).  I'm conflicted, but i think i made the right call because crochet takes so darned long compared to jewelry, i felt i was underselling myself, and OY! the wrist pains i had last winter doing her orders!  there were also some considerations like i found she was marking up my items 200% from what I'd sold them to her for (and also sub distributing my items to a smallish extent).  I feel guilty for turning down the work, but also sort of relieved. 

Barbalot, i know you were talking about nixing wholesale orders for a while. did you ever actually implement that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5431 on: August 26, 2008 02:00:08 PM »

hollylynne, I did stop accepting those orders.  After I mentioned it here, I changed my shop policies and profile stating that.  I still received three more inquiries for w/s orders, and had to tell them no.   I felt guilty, too -- I'm turning down money! -- but it's just not worth my time.  I remember you working on that order, holly, and how much time it took up.  Keep us posted!

Thank you all SO much for the encouragement & virtual hugs.  I feel much better.  The customer and I have resolved the situation, and she's happy again. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hollylynne

step away from the cashmere

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5432 on: August 26, 2008 02:32:51 PM »

awesome about your customer, barbalot. glad you guys could work it out!!!

and thanks for the affirmation on the wholesale thing Smiley  i did change my shop policies too . . . saying that i can't accept wholesale/custom orders on sewn or crocheted items (although i'll still feel free to bend my own rules!).  its really more the time issue that i'm concerned with than anything else.  I don't want to spend ages making the same item over and over . . . its stifiling to me, it really drains my creativity.  jewelry i can typically get done quickly enough that i'm willing to take the orders . . . but not sewing or crochet.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5433 on: August 26, 2008 11:42:39 PM »

Barbolot, I'm glad to hear that customer is happy again.
Things like that will happen, no matter how much time and energy you put into your products.

I once had a button fall of a keychain lip balm holder on the very first occasion the customer used it. I probably cut off the threads on the inside too short (cut right through the knot). I wanted to compensate her financially (and felt rather silly, since I'm such a perfectionist), but she did not want to hear about it and gave me lovely positive feedback anyway. Of course this is one thing that will never happen again. We all learn from our mistakes.

BeaG
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Neigung
« Reply #5434 on: August 27, 2008 09:53:22 AM »

I sold something last week after almost a year of selling nothing, but I don't know if it counts because my friend made it and I just listed it for her.  (She says that my photos helped the sale.)    I also listed something that I'm really proud of for the first time in a long time.  I just hope it gets the attention I think it deserves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ren
Ren

controls bunnies writing literary works of genious

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5435 on: August 27, 2008 04:48:20 PM »

barbolot, sorry to hear that happened to you. D: If you look on the brightside, however, this is one incident out of the hundred or so satchets you've sold, right? If you and people you know are all using them and nothing is happening, you can't beat yourself up about it. Sometimes these things just happen, so don't fret. :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IamSusie
« Reply #5436 on: August 27, 2008 07:22:57 PM »

My prices pretty much already are wholesale, so I really can't offer any discounts.  Tongue 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cookiemonster
« Reply #5437 on: August 27, 2008 07:50:01 PM »

bleh...this month wasn't so great for my etsy shop...I'm looking forward to the (hopefully) busy holidays!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~*Vintage Sewing Goodies*~*
Ooh! Vintage
www.oohvintage.etsy .com

Blog: http://www.oohvintage.blogspot.com/
sarasvati

love for crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5438 on: August 27, 2008 08:38:29 PM »

Hello all Smiley

Barbolot - that's terrible news to hear something like that from a customer!  I hope you're able to sort everything out... if you were able to sell 100 and only have one complaint, that is pretty good!  I know that once I mailed out a button ring, and when it arrived at the customer's house, it had come unglued.  I offered to make her another one, but she ended up being crafty enough herself and glued it back together...I felt terrible though!!  I think that these things just happen, and upon hearing things like that, we only end up improving our products and making better items!  Since then, I have developed better methods in creating the button rings and have also developed better methods for shipping the product, and haven't had any complaints since!   Cheesy

In other news, not really related to my Etsy shop, I knitted my very first pair of socks!  I've never tried making socks before so I'm seriously addicted to it now...hehe.  I posted pics on my blog for anyone who is interested (link in my signature) Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lostmittenblog.blogspot.com - my crafting blog
http://www.flickr.com/lost_mitten - my flickr
I'm Craftster's August 2009 Featured Needlework Artist!

(Mini) Nerd Swap - sign-ups right now! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=342519.0
allyinthevalley
« Reply #5439 on: August 28, 2008 09:42:26 PM »

Oooo! Pretty socks.  Grin
In my Etsy Shop News:  Roll Eyes
I'm trying to slowly make my shops better, one step at a time. My current goal is to get my photos up to par. Right now they look soooooooooooooo unprofessional. It drives me nuts. And I don't like buying from shops that don't look professional, so why should I expect anyone else to? So..... I bought a white backdrop (coming in the mail), and I'm saving up now for some photo lamps. It's frustrating, because I'm not posting many new things now because I'm waiting until I can take decent pictures of them. It sort of puts me at a stand-still.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 570 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter H
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter I
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter J
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter L
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter K
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...