A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,388
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 532 533 [534] 535 536 ... 570
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How's your Etsy shop doing now?  (Read 361870 times)
Tags for this thread: etsy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5330 on: July 25, 2008 08:51:31 AM »

**gasp!** That is GORGEOUS, sockdiva!  Shocked

(And thanks, sarasvati & sockdiva!)

BeaG, when I do a price increase, it's usually incremental, and I stress over each rise in price!  I haven't done a drastic increase yet.  Honestly, and please don't take this the wrong way, some of your prices do seem a little high for me, but that's just me.   Just see what the market will bear, and keep us posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hollylynne

step away from the cashmere

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5331 on: July 25, 2008 09:55:45 AM »

ooh . . . pricing . . .woe!!!!  i sometimes feel like i should raise mine too.  Bea, I also think they seem a tad high, but i'm very interested to see how it goes! you've obviously got a huge base of fans already so maybe they'll be fine with the increase.

thanks, sockdiva, for the congratulations and MAN that piece (a pendant, is it?) is AWESOME!!  I've got to learn some wire wrapping techniques . . . I've got some ancient coins that I'd LOVE to make into jewelry but I'm reluctant to drill through them like I do with more modern coins.  Can you suggest any books or sites about wrapping, or did you learn by playing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sockdiva
« Reply #5332 on: July 25, 2008 11:34:14 AM »

Morning holly! About 3 years ago, I paid some $35 for an hour class at the local bead shop for the 'classic' cabochon wire wrapping using square wire. Then from there, I bought online tutorials, from Remy http://www.studioheath.com/tutorials.php and Eni http://www.enijewelry.com/jewelry/lessons.html. I LOVE the online tutorials, because the pictures are as big as your screen, and lots more than are practical in a printed book. And you can start with their easier tutorials, and build up to their advanced ones!

Pricing is the hardest thing for me too! Mine has been more trial and error! But I've been reading that thread about pricing and increasing your prices on Etsy forums! Something to consider...

Diana
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://sockdiva.etsy.com
Omiyage, unique yarns, fibers, and jewelry

http://deedolce.blogspot.com/
barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5333 on: July 27, 2008 12:28:48 PM »

I've decided to take a two-week "vacation" from my etsy shop.  Boy, that is hard for me to do!  I just felt buried all the time, and like I was always two steps behind and couldn't catch up.  I'm taking the time off to (1) relax/breathe a little, (2) work on some new designs, (3) build up my inventory.  So I will still be sewing, just not working IN my shop.  I may be shooting myself in the foot by breaking up the momentum, but I just don't want to burn out. 

Does anyone else ever feel like this?  Did you take a vacation?  How did it go for you?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hollylynne

step away from the cashmere

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5334 on: July 27, 2008 01:31:02 PM »

oh, i feel you barbalot!!! sometimes i need a break too, but so far i've had lulls (like right now! only on sale in the last week or so, although I am working on that wholesale order) and while I can't time them to suit my schedule, the lulls do help keep me sane.  with your featured seller exposure i'm sure you need a break. i wouldn't worry about breaking up the momentum either!! i took a week and a half trip to the UK last november, right at the start of the holiday rush, and it didn't seem to mess up my stride at all.  enjoy your break!!! Cheesy

thanks, sockdiva, for the links!!! i'll check those out for sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

normasbathandbody
« Reply #5335 on: July 27, 2008 06:14:03 PM »

Hi Ladies!
I'm no longer at etsy Cheesy But I may be back one day. sure hope that sales pick up for those of you who are slow right now Sad
~Norma
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Norma's Bath and Body
" It's Luscious.. It's addictive"
 http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/normasbathandbody
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5336 on: July 28, 2008 11:10:14 AM »

Thanks for your replies, everybody! Much appreciated.
Yep, I increased some prices quite substantially, since I was working for nearly nothing on those items. We'll see what it brings.
I think I reached a point where I will settle for less sales with a higher profit margin.
I thought the holidays season was the right time to take the plunge. If it doesn't work, I can always go back down.
On the other hand my sales outside of Etsy are increasing, and my Etsy shop doesn't have to pay the bills, so I can afford to just try it out and see what happens.
Thanks again!
Now I'm off to check out your shops.
BeaG
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IamSusie
« Reply #5337 on: July 28, 2008 01:39:30 PM »

I went on vacation for 10 days and sold 3 items while I was gone.  Shocked My store had been really dead for awhile, so I neglected to put a note up about a delay in shipping.  Fortunately I was able to convo the first buyer and change my shop announcement before I went into vacation internet darkness. 

Does anyone else ever feel like this?  Did you take a vacation?  How did it go for you?
I found that I was unable to really keep up the momentum of new in my shop so I tend to it in fits and starts.  I got working on some quilts and large fabric projects at home and that took attention away from the smaller scale crafting I do for my etsy shop.  Sales dropped off a bit, but that's okay with me.  I tried to raise my prices on my items, but nothing sold so I put them back where they were.   Undecided  Pricing is so tricky!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5338 on: July 30, 2008 01:31:53 PM »

I think I reached a point where I will settle for less sales with a higher profit margin.
BeaG, I really understand what you're saying here.  For me, this attitude would mean feeling more satisfied and appreciated for the work I did.  Recently, I've done a few wholesale or bulk orders, and now I'm wondering why I do them.  Sure I make a little more money all at once, but since it's less per item, and I don't feel as appreciated as when a customer comes to my shop and personally places an order, even if it is smaller.  But I'll probably keep doing the wholesale/bulk discount orders.... I don't know.

How do you guys feel about wholesale orders?  Are they worth your time?

Thanks for the feedback, hollylynne and IamSusie.  That is very encouraging, and I am enjoying my vacation very much! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

allyinthevalley
« Reply #5339 on: July 30, 2008 01:52:30 PM »

For my Etsy shop, which is all vintage... If someone came and asked me, "Hey, can I buy all of your jewelry off of you at once for a discount?" I think I'd laugh at them. It's way more advantageous to wait for each piece to be bought seperately. But if they were asking about things that I make, I'd probably go ahead and give the discount. I don't know why. It's kind of sad that this mentality- that things I make aren't worth as much as vintage items- just comes naturally to me.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 532 533 [534] 535 536 ... 570 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Clip In Foxy Locks Extensions
Loose Flipped Out Curly Hairstyle Using Wide Straighteners
How to Make an Easy Fishtail Braid or Plait
Hair Care Secrets Tips and Products
How to Backcomb or Tease Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Kitchen Dishtowels with Fabric Accents
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...