A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how I made circular needles - not DPN  (Read 835 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

akneedler
« on: November 17, 2006 01:06:20 PM »

I've been lurking here for a while and had to tell you all how I made circular needles.  I'm not talking DPN.  I made short dowel needles sanded down a dowel, skewer or chopstick, cut it to about 4".  I drilled up the end carefully to receive a piece of 2mm round leather cording.  taper the second end but not to a point, just enough to keep the stitches from catching.  Glue a piece of round leather cording into the end with strong glue .  

Another finishing tip: I couldn't get enough wax from the wax paper method so I dipped it into a melted candle.  Then to scrape the excess off I just ran it through the appropriate hole of my needle sizer and the extra wax just fell off.  It made them nice and smooth and they smell like apple/cinnamon!  If you're going to work with white yarn first you may want to not use a colored candle!

I've made several pair of circular needles from shish-kebob skewers (size Cool varying the leather cording length to make 16-29"  One pack of the bigger skewers will make more than one knitter will need.  The smaller skewers make great sock needles (size 3).  1/2" dowel makes a nice size 10.  When I wanted to sit down to make needles I wasn't feeling like also working with clay so I just got a bag of various sized wooden beads and glued them on the ends.  

For my needle keepers I just use a cork on the end.  Cut it in half so it's not unwieldy.  It already has a hole from the corkscrew so it just sticks right on or you can drill it out to fit better.

Hope these ideas are helpful to someone, let me know if they are Cheesy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tracinglines
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006 03:30:46 PM »

very very very useful. i'll be travelling longterm this spring and i won't be able to take my needles with me. this will be a cheap, easy way to satisfy my knitting addiction while on the road. thanks so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachelo
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006 07:19:15 AM »

What a great idea!  Thanks for sharing!  I've been puzzling over how one would make circular needles for a while.  I'd love to see pics of your finished project though -- any chance you can upload your circs?   Grin  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
akneedler
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006 01:45:05 AM »

Embarrassed  After I posted I realized that someone already linked to a tutorial in the dowel DPN thread.  Oops.  That thread is 30 pages long, can't imagine how I missed that Cheesy  The tutorial calls for weedeater cord.  That would be more like the store bought ones though I like the flexibility of the leather.

Now that I've been using them my only tip is to make sure both ends are pointed well or the stitches catch on the ridge where the cable and the needle meet.  I think I'm going to unglue mine and do a better job this time.

sorry for the repeat info...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Good Black and White Tone
How to Achieve Balance Amongst your Images
How to Crop to Achieve Image Balance
How to Use Negative Spaces in Images
How to Anchor an Image with Scenic Architecture
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...