A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: When printing directly on fabric  (Read 932 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sparklinglove
« on: November 13, 2006 11:20:53 AM »

even those iron on fabric sheets, how well does the  ink stay?

HOw do you know it will last thru a washing? are there special instructions for washing with puter ink?

this is for my bags~! so they won't get washed TONS
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swift

That's never a pit bull!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006 03:57:36 PM »

There is a fixative you can get called Jet Set 2000. You soak the fabric in the liquid before hand, let it dry, then you can print on it. I've used it tons of times and it doesn't run at all. I've even tried scrubbing the fabric with a nail brush and soap and it stayed! (In case you're curious why I did this -- the fabric got trapped in the printer and when I pulled it out the picture was fine, but it had black marks on it. I tried to remove the marks but they wouldn't budge!)

If you have a printer like an Epson with Durabrite, waterproof inks, you can forego the soaking in this stuff (I've tried this too, as I have an Epson printer.)

I'm not sure about the fabric sheets you can buy for the computer, but I imagine they would be treated with the setting stuff or why would you buy it? You could just use regular fabric! If you want to do quite a few sheets, I would suggest going with the Jet Set stuff. It's not that expensive -- I bought mine for about $25 Cdn or so -- and I've done easily 50 sheets of fabric and have at least half a bottle left. But if you're just doing a few sheets -- say 10 or less (which, I think, is about 2 packages of the stuff from the store) -- then it might be worth buying the sheets.

As a final note - like this message isn't long enough -- if you are running fabric through your printer, make sure you tape at the bottom (where you are feeding the fabric through) and top to a piece of cardstock. The fabric isn't heavy enough for your printer, and it will get caught in the rollers. This will keep it standing straight and will make it heavy enough to feed. Just my two cents...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's not an obsession. It's a quest for excellence!"
gingerquilts
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006 04:06:32 PM »

You can also iron the fabric to freezer paper and then cut it to size before running it through the printer.

I have used the fabric sheets that you buy with great success. I really like the ones that are fabric but you can print and then iron them on.  I use those for ATC's. I think if you heat set the inks with an iron after printing they work well.

I have a friend that uses the brand Printed Treasures in her quilts.  She likes them much better than the ones you get at JoAnn's or Walmart.  You can buy them at quiltshops.

I bought a bottle of Bubblejet  but haven't tried it yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

swift

That's never a pit bull!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006 04:08:34 PM »

Okay, I must be tired because I zoned on the freezer paper. I actually iron the fabric to the freezer paper, then tape it to the card stock because it's still really floppy. My Epson doesn't like just the freezer paper alone! I need the thickness of the card stock and tape to make the printer like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gingerquilts
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006 04:09:50 PM »

Okay, I must be tired because I zoned on the freezer paper. I actually iron the fabric to the freezer paper, then tape it to the card stock because it's still really floppy. My Epson doesn't like just the freezer paper alone! I need the thickness of the card stock and tape to make the printer like it!

I never tried that.  I bet you could use two thickness of freezer paper.  Iron the shiny side to the paper side and then the shiny side to the fabric.  I do that for quilt templates, it might work for this, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sparklinglove
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006 05:51:38 PM »

does the paper iron on or do i need an adhesive?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swift

That's never a pit bull!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006 08:40:10 PM »

The freezer paper is wax on one side. Iron that to the back of your fabric. It will stick, but not so much that you can't remove it when you're done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dmerk
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006 09:45:22 PM »

There's a great tutorial by "queenofdiy" on making your own Bubble Jet Set really cheap..

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=129537.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pibbgirl
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006 09:22:07 AM »

I've used spray adhesive to stick fabric to regular computer paper before because I think freezer paper is a little too floppy for my printer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About "Triptych, 1974" by Francis Bacon
Learn About "Ponies" by the Artist Jeff Koons
Painting Lesson - Infused Light
Painting Lesson - Spotlight Effect
Painting Lessons - Landscape Commission 1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...