A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,458
Currently Running With Scissors:
749 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday Nov 17th  (Read 3688 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Necia
« on: November 17, 2006 07:16:39 AM »

Ok I can't wait any longer for someone with more to offer to start this thread.  I humbly present you 1 lone skein, that I spun, and then dyed this week.

http://www.thescentscene.com/pictures/DSCF0567.jpg

4 ozs Henry Attic Superwash Merino.  Sport Weigthish, about 180 y.  Used Wiltons, and a little bit of acid dyes for this.  Calling my 1st colorway Under The Kitchen Sink, because I grabbed dyes, and just called it a day.  No real inspiration at all.  Surprised by the outcome, but will always love it, as this is my 1st spin to knit, and dyed yarn.

Now, what should I knit with it?

Ok, whose next?

Necia
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011 10:13:47 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006 07:39:01 AM »

Wow!  Bright!  Cheesy  The colors look so cheery.  you should make yourself something that you might use on an otherwise gloomy day.  Some fingerless mittens or something.  With yarn that "Sunny" it should brighten up any day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
tenrec

*adaptive*radiation*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006 08:06:03 AM »

I love those colors - especially the little bit of brown!

All of my recent spinning has gone out my door in swaps... Hopefully my partners will receive soon, and then I can post them up here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misshawklet

spin spin spin!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006 08:17:41 AM »

i love the brightness!  Especially with such dreary weather, well here at least.

I didn't do a ton of spinning this week, but here are a few.  I did do a lot of dyeing of the bump I got last week. 

not yet washed

« Last Edit: November 17, 2006 08:26:47 AM by misshawklet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

grayling40
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006 08:39:09 AM »

Hi! This is my first post, and my first attempt at spinning!

http://people.alfred.edu/~lg2/christmasevei.html

It's called Christmas Eve I (more to come in this series, because those are the only colors I have right now). It's merino and faux cashmere, about 50 yards. I'm definitely hooked on spinning already, and am working on getting my knitting/crocheting friends to try it too. Have a good weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saule - Design That Shines
http://sauleshine.etsy.com
flwrhead
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006 08:47:54 AM »

Wow!  Those are so pretty!  Necia, you could make a happy little hat!  I can't wait to see that knit up.  And Holly - you've been a dyeing FIEND!  Haha!  Great colors - isn't it fun to see how the colors come out on the roving and then how they change when you spin them?  Grayling - that's great first yarn!  The red is really rich-looking.

I'm going to wait and post next week because my yarn is resting on the bobbins and I'll ply tonight.  And probably do some dyeing too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Necia
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006 08:52:41 AM »

Miss Hawklett, or anyone who knows,

How are you spinning such a worsted weight single?  I'm itching to spin up a yarn similar to the weight you're spinning, and so far can't.  I can do thin pretty consistently but nothing else.  Any advice?

Necia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misshawklet

spin spin spin!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006 09:24:57 AM »

grayling40 nice job!!  Post pics when you knit it up!  Or crochet, or whatever.  Btw my brother went to alfred u! 

As far as worsted Necia, man, I dont know!  When I first started spinning I spun really bulky, and that was it.  Worsted just came with time.  Also, it might be the fiber?  I honestly don't figure out what I'll spin until I spin a certain fiber.  This merino cross seems to "like" to be this worsted weight, or a nice thick and thin.  The ply I spun pretty thin first, but I think it would be hard for me to do a thin merino single without lots of overtwisting.  That is why I plied it, ha!

Someone else might have more helpful advice, I'm sorry!  I've never taken a lesson so I just kinda do things by the seat of my pants, figuring them out as I go along.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Necia
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006 09:33:38 AM »

Well, whatever you're doing, don't stop.  Your stuff always looks awesome!

Necia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

princesakati
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006 09:50:08 AM »

Necia, awesome colors!  I would love to see that knit up!

Hi Holly!  that purple yarn just said it wants to be my Christmas present!   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You've gotta sing louder if you want to stop war! -- Arlo Guthrie
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Extreme Crochet - Part 1/5
Extreme Crochet Ideas
How to Crochet a Small Smiley Flower
How to Crochet a Large Smiley Flower
How to Crochet Jolene Sugarbaker Sweater Cuffs
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...