A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: gift ideas: The Uncles and Aunt edition.  (Read 843 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ladymare

Do Your Ears Hang Low?

View Profile WWW
« on: November 16, 2006 10:52:08 PM »

I have the worst time ever thinking of ideas for my aunt and uncles.  If I'm going to make something, It has to be simple. My sewing machine is in storage and I can possibly dig it out. I don't crochet or knit. I like to paint and sew though. I'm kind of in the process of moving is why it'll be difficult to make anything this year.

Uncle number 1: He's a "weird" kind of guy. Likes strange art and strange things. i.e. he has barbies and kens dipped in wax in random non-sexual positions. He enjoys making silver jewlery from coins and other such things. He likes scuba diving although doesn't like to announce it. He doesn't want stickers or shirts or anything because he's afraid of his stuff getting stolen. 

Uncle number 2: He is going back to college for accounting. Has 2 bulldogs but is pretty much bulldogged out from other christmas pasts. He likes ebay, auctions, and stuff like that...

Aunt: She's married to number 2 and is a girly girl. I feel like my aunt and uncle have everything so I'm not sure what they'd want. They are the type to be happy with anything they get though so I'm not very worried about it...

Gifts from the past they've enjoyed, pillows, quilt wall hangings...

Ideas can be store bought or made (if fast and simple). Thank you sooo much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Silverrose11
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006 03:27:59 PM »

I am having the same problem with my aunts and uncles.

Aunt and Uncle #1(they are in their early 40's): I was thinking of rice bags, and something home-made(cookies or cooking stuff(spices, etc))

Aunt and Uncle #2(early 30's): These are hard because although I "grew up" with my aunt(we are only a few years apart), I dont know her all that well anymore.  I was thinking rice bags, and something home-made, just like for the others..

Other than that, I have no ideas
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LOLMegan

You all everybody!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006 04:02:53 PM »

These are some things I thought of
Uncle 1:
-Charms from oriental trading (There are some silver coin charms for very good prices)
-A coin ring like this http://homepage.mac.com/johnhuber/CoinRing/PhotoAlbum20.html
-You could make a book with directions on how to make cool things like that coin ring (There are good tutorials for making books here on craftster)

Uncle 2:
-Handmade planner/assignment book since he's going back to college

Aunt:
-Home made bath bombs, scrubs, lotions, lipglosses, soap ect.
-Sleeping mask

Ideas that might work for any of them:
-A cool clock (One that I have a link to right now is the coffee clock here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=83656.0)
-Hand made candles
-Baked goods (Who doesn't love those??)
-"In a jars" i.e. brownies, cappuccino, hot chocolate

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftsters fear the ordinary, not the impossible!
cinnamon teal
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006 04:07:58 PM »

hmmm...  I don't know how big you want to go on these gifts, but a quick, easy and not too expensive thing would be to make stationary with images from your art work.  Just scan or photograph some images and print them on card stock.  Fold into cards and include some appropriately sized envelopes.  Makes a good gift for distant, letter writing type relatives.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ladymare

Do Your Ears Hang Low?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006 08:17:49 PM »

You all have such amazing ideas. Can I be greedy and ask for more ideas???

LOLMegan - you saved me with uncle number 1. The coin ring is amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VaxGirl
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006 07:59:44 PM »

I am a 40-something aunt(Ok, I just turned 50, but don't tell anyone); so here's my auntie opinion.

I would love anything that can be added to a collection I already have.  In my case it would be Nancy Drew books or cheap little box cameras or kitschy salt & pepper shakers, all from the thrift store or garage sales.

Is there a store they like to shop at?  Sometimes little things from a favorite store are nice.  I like Trader Joe's and would love a couple bars of thier soap or a little tea selection.

For some reason I really love little kits like first aid kits or sewing kits.  It's always great to stash one in the car or at work.  Same thing with mini umbrellas.  Boring, but it seems like you always need one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StarFire
Maker of Things.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006 10:25:38 PM »

A friend of mine is preparing a "date" or "Family" night gifts for her extended family members.  Fill a container (painted boxes, stocking, pretty paper store bought boxes, big popcorn bowls, etc.) with everything you need for a night at the movies- in your living room!  Popcorn (the ones already in their own buckets are cool for this), movie theatre style candy, cocoa or warm cider mixes, and top off with a rental gift card!  If you really want to be extremely ambitious with this....include a fleece throw for them to snuggle under.  ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can do personal swaps!  ^_^

Pinterest!  http://pinterest.com/dmlinc2179/
butterflymary
The Dominatrix of Craft

I Bitch, Therefore I Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006 09:01:46 PM »

Uncle likes strange art? Try the thrift store and then visit this site for some weirder inspirations.....

http://thewurstgallery.com/vintage_vandals.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now get craftin'!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Candy Cane Reindeer
Artist Creates Famous Images on Morning Breakfast
Affordable Wall Artwork
Artist Hong Yi Explains Her Flower Portraits
Embellished Totes For Earth Day
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...