A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,860
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Look 6620  (Read 5567 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ShelbyBelby
BeeShell

Words and Ideas Can Change the World

View Profile WWW
« on: November 16, 2006 07:53:49 PM »

Okay...so I bought this shirt pattern tonight (it was like $3.50):

And here is the fabric I bought ($2/yd. @ Wal-Mart): http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9598/picture001bi2.jpg  The fabric isn't ribbed - it just sorta looks it when scanned.  Also, the contrasting fabric is a solid royal blue like in the pattern.

I plan on starting this in a week or two (may wait until after Thanksgiving & after I finish my swap.) and I'm gonna do shirt D only I'm gonna prolly do the sleeves a little different 'cause I don't like to wear those tight bands on 3/4 sleeves or long sleeves.  They'll probably be a 3/4 version of shirt A.  Anyway...anyone wanna make it with me???
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013 07:01:56 PM by meleriffic - Reason: changed non-working image to link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personally, I experience the greatest degree of pleasure in having contact with works of art. They furnish me with happy feelings of an intensity such as I cannot derive from other realms. - Albert Einstein

http://shelbyp-book.blogspot.com/

http://www.wists.com/ShelbyBelby
Ericab
~Erica B.~

D.I.Y with Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006 12:57:29 PM »

I made mine a few weeks ago.  I did like the tunic length at the time so I cut mine shorter.  I think I'll go back and do another one.  Since I made this, I've been seeing sleeves with ties everywhere.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShelbyBelby
BeeShell

Words and Ideas Can Change the World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006 02:48:54 PM »

OMG!  Your shirt is gorgeous!  I really love the color!  I also made a jacket similar to the one you are wearing in the picture, only mine is leopard print!  Post pics when you make another.  Depending on how well this one goes, I'm wanting another in a all black - maybe sheer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personally, I experience the greatest degree of pleasure in having contact with works of art. They furnish me with happy feelings of an intensity such as I cannot derive from other realms. - Albert Einstein

http://shelbyp-book.blogspot.com/

http://www.wists.com/ShelbyBelby
sarah73
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006 02:40:07 AM »

wow that looks great shelby i LOVE that fabric!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
m*babylon

you can't get there from here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006 12:37:24 PM »

i have a ton of teal cotton jersey i scored on a wal-mart $1/yd table a while back, so i picked up this pattern today.  erica, i totally love your version, it turned out fantastic!  did you use a serger or a regular machine with a stretch stitch? or a 3rd option i'm not thinking of? 

i'll probably start this over the weekend.  i need more work tops, and you can't really beat $2.75 for fabric, $3.22 for a pattern, and $1.74 thread for a <$8 top. =]
a*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just a city boy, born & raised in south detroit
he took the midnight train going anywhere...
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007 09:27:24 AM »

I am so encouraged to see your results, Ericab!  This pattern was exactly the style I was looking for, but I have to say it looks rather dumpy on the model.  It looks fabulous on you!  How was the sizing?  Did you have to do any adjustments?  Were there any quirks in the pattern I should know about?  I'm planning on doing a 3/4 or elbow length version of A, shortened to about the same length as Ericab's.  I'm going to make a skirt to match, too -- I had wanted to make a duro or kimono style dress, but I think I'll get more wear out of a separate skirt and top.  Wish me luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
Ericab
~Erica B.~

D.I.Y with Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007 10:06:21 AM »

Be careful with your hip measurement.  There isn't a lot of difference in the waist size and hip size for the skirt part of the top.  You may have to go up to the next size for that piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007 11:29:24 AM »

So, I made a practice version of this top -- here are some pictures (yes, I'm a goofball!  Grin).  Don't mind the fabric -- it was pretty cheap which is why I'm using it for practice.  I didn't do the ties in back or the bands at the sleeves because I didn't have enough black fabric.  I'm still trying to decide if it should come in at the waist a little bit more since it looks a bit dumpy (I already took it in a bit), or if it'll be fine when I do it in my lightweight jersey instead of this heavy stuff.  I did it all on my serger, except for gathering and basting.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

weberly
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007 11:57:37 AM »

this is great, i've been checking out something similar- the jumbo houndstooth dress- over in completed projects, wondering about a pattern which i usually try to wing.  i like new look and they're cheap, i didn't even notice the arm ties until i looked at erica b.'s picture, that is sweet!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007 04:52:51 PM by weberly » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007 04:28:57 PM »

Well, I finished my real version..except for the hem.  Still can't quite decide what to do there.  I'll post pictures when I have a little more time, but if you're thinking about trying this pattern... DO IT!! Smiley  It would be pretty easy to lengthen into a dress, if you wanted to (and I think I may at some point).  The hip area was fine for me, but the empire waist was a bit baggy.  I ended up taking it in 4" total around, if that makes sense (1" from each side of each pattern piece).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Apple and Frangipane French Toast Recipe
Georgetown Cupcake Sisters Share Their Baking Secrets
How to Make The Easiest Pie Crust
Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
4 Halloween Cake Decorating Tricks
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...