A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,177
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Look 6620  (Read 5875 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ShelbyBelby
BeeShell

Words and Ideas Can Change the World

View Profile WWW
« on: November 16, 2006 07:53:49 PM »

Okay...so I bought this shirt pattern tonight (it was like $3.50):

And here is the fabric I bought ($2/yd. @ Wal-Mart): http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9598/picture001bi2.jpg  The fabric isn't ribbed - it just sorta looks it when scanned.  Also, the contrasting fabric is a solid royal blue like in the pattern.

I plan on starting this in a week or two (may wait until after Thanksgiving & after I finish my swap.) and I'm gonna do shirt D only I'm gonna prolly do the sleeves a little different 'cause I don't like to wear those tight bands on 3/4 sleeves or long sleeves.  They'll probably be a 3/4 version of shirt A.  Anyway...anyone wanna make it with me???
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013 07:01:56 PM by meleriffic - Reason: changed non-working image to link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personally, I experience the greatest degree of pleasure in having contact with works of art. They furnish me with happy feelings of an intensity such as I cannot derive from other realms. - Albert Einstein

http://shelbyp-book.blogspot.com/

http://www.wists.com/ShelbyBelby
Ericab
~Erica B.~

D.I.Y with Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006 12:57:29 PM »

I made mine a few weeks ago.  I did like the tunic length at the time so I cut mine shorter.  I think I'll go back and do another one.  Since I made this, I've been seeing sleeves with ties everywhere.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShelbyBelby
BeeShell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006 02:48:54 PM »

OMG!  Your shirt is gorgeous!  I really love the color!  I also made a jacket similar to the one you are wearing in the picture, only mine is leopard print!  Post pics when you make another.  Depending on how well this one goes, I'm wanting another in a all black - maybe sheer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personally, I experience the greatest degree of pleasure in having contact with works of art. They furnish me with happy feelings of an intensity such as I cannot derive from other realms. - Albert Einstein

sarah73
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006 02:40:07 AM »

wow that looks great shelby i LOVE that fabric!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
m*babylon

you can't get there from here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006 12:37:24 PM »

i have a ton of teal cotton jersey i scored on a wal-mart $1/yd table a while back, so i picked up this pattern today.  erica, i totally love your version, it turned out fantastic!  did you use a serger or a regular machine with a stretch stitch? or a 3rd option i'm not thinking of? 

i'll probably start this over the weekend.  i need more work tops, and you can't really beat $2.75 for fabric, $3.22 for a pattern, and $1.74 thread for a <$8 top. =]
a*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just a city boy, born & raised in south detroit
he took the midnight train going anywhere...
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007 09:27:24 AM »

I am so encouraged to see your results, Ericab!  This pattern was exactly the style I was looking for, but I have to say it looks rather dumpy on the model.  It looks fabulous on you!  How was the sizing?  Did you have to do any adjustments?  Were there any quirks in the pattern I should know about?  I'm planning on doing a 3/4 or elbow length version of A, shortened to about the same length as Ericab's.  I'm going to make a skirt to match, too -- I had wanted to make a duro or kimono style dress, but I think I'll get more wear out of a separate skirt and top.  Wish me luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
Ericab
~Erica B.~

D.I.Y with Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007 10:06:21 AM »

Be careful with your hip measurement.  There isn't a lot of difference in the waist size and hip size for the skirt part of the top.  You may have to go up to the next size for that piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007 11:29:24 AM »

So, I made a practice version of this top -- here are some pictures (yes, I'm a goofball!  Grin).  Don't mind the fabric -- it was pretty cheap which is why I'm using it for practice.  I didn't do the ties in back or the bands at the sleeves because I didn't have enough black fabric.  I'm still trying to decide if it should come in at the waist a little bit more since it looks a bit dumpy (I already took it in a bit), or if it'll be fine when I do it in my lightweight jersey instead of this heavy stuff.  I did it all on my serger, except for gathering and basting.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

weberly
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007 11:57:37 AM »

this is great, i've been checking out something similar- the jumbo houndstooth dress- over in completed projects, wondering about a pattern which i usually try to wing.  i like new look and they're cheap, i didn't even notice the arm ties until i looked at erica b.'s picture, that is sweet!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007 04:52:51 PM by weberly » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007 04:28:57 PM »

Well, I finished my real version..except for the hem.  Still can't quite decide what to do there.  I'll post pictures when I have a little more time, but if you're thinking about trying this pattern... DO IT!! Smiley  It would be pretty easy to lengthen into a dress, if you wanted to (and I think I may at some point).  The hip area was fine for me, but the empire waist was a bit baggy.  I ended up taking it in 4" total around, if that makes sense (1" from each side of each pattern piece).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weberly
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007 05:02:42 PM »

oh i see, you did a muslin (i think they call it, something like that)  I keep thinking i should try that, and see how it helps my results!!  i could see how if you had a serger it would be easy to whip one out (it's so great how they can cut and sew at the same time), that's what i envision just drawing something on material with a fat marker and zzzzzt.  i'm just really good at spending hours and hours "simplifying".
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007 05:04:48 PM by weberly » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007 07:35:20 PM »

Well, I finally finished the hem and took a couple of pictures!  Here you go:

(I didn't realize it was bunched up in the back -- the hem really is straight!)

The black floral fabric is a polyester/lycra knit I got at Joann's, and the pink is "performance knit," also polyester and lycra, from Hancock.  I did everything except basting with my serger, including the hem, which is just a narrow serged edge.  However, it would be just as easy to do on a regular machine since you don't need to finish the edges on most knits anyway.  As I said before, I took in the waist part quite a bit, lengthened the sleeves, and shortened the hem.  If I had it to do over again I'd probably lengthen the bodice pieces slightly since the waistband pulls a little funny, I think because it's riding a little high.

What do you guys think about the length?  It kind of hits at my widest spot, which is supposed to be bad, but I don't think it looks too bad.  I can always shorten it later, I guess.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weberly
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007 08:52:54 PM »

oh man, it's really cute, i'm sold.  i think the length is good there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahpanda
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007 06:49:01 AM »

Great fabric, and great fit. Good work. I think it hits you at just the right spot--long tops are in right now, anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchypanda.etsy.com
gmail chat: sarahpanda
ShelbyBelby
BeeShell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007 10:48:27 AM »

This looks amazing.  I never did finish the one I cut out (got distracted by my handbags) but I am on my way to Wally World to get some white jersey to do with the blue trim I've already cut to be an awesome, yet stylish Colts shirt to wear for the SuperBowl parties.  GO BLUE!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

_hunny_
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007 03:20:32 AM »

oh i see, you did a muslin (i think they call it, something like that)
*Called a Toile Wink*

There are some Hot tops here! im going to see if i can get that pattern, i have some 60'fied tops in mind Cheesy x x x x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ All of us girls are stars, and deserve the right to twinkle ~ Marilyn Monroe
ShelbyBelby
BeeShell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007 06:38:48 AM »

oh i see, you did a muslin (i think they call it, something like that)
*Called a Toile Wink*

Uummm...actually toile is a print of fabric and muslin is a type of fabric, like jersey or wool.  And this is a classic example of toile:    Toile comes in different colors, but usually in the Rocco type-pallet and always looks very similar to these spaced out very decorative senic designs.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sam7992
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007 03:51:43 AM »

kemartin2 your top turned out really well! its perfect on you!

EricaB i'm so inspired by your version, its so well done, might have to try something similiar! I doubt it could be as good as one of your creations though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
_hunny_
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007 11:30:53 AM »

hmm whats it called then?  Huh lol x x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007 06:41:40 PM »

I think it's a regional thing.  Here in the US, we tend to call the practice version a muslin, but I've heard other call it a toile (people from Australia, perhaps other countries too?).  It complicates matters that either word can refer to a type of fabric too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angeltreats
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007 04:16:09 AM »

I live in the UK and we call a practice garment a toile. 

I love the photos, everyone's version looks gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

_hunny_
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007 09:36:30 AM »

I live in the UK and we call a practice garment a toile. 

Yes!! I am not going mad, hehe!!! how confusing though! x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Must Have Beauty Devices
Bella Thorne Shares Her Beauty Tricks at Her Glamour Photo Shoot
Get the Look from Jason Wu Fall 2014
Get the Look from Christian Dior Fall 2014
Get the Look from Prada Fall 2014
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...