A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
779 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty's Danica  (Read 46470 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kittybritches
« on: November 16, 2006 04:52:34 PM »

I'm starting the Danica scarf for a friend for Christmas, and have never done entrelac before.  I may need encouragement!  Anyone want to join in? 

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTdanica.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abbyskeeper
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006 11:22:10 AM »

I may do a solid color version of it - I've been looking for a good pattern for a scarf for my DH - he's been wanting me to knit a scarf in burnt orange (our alma mater's signature color).  I've never done intrelac before either, though.

I think it would be a nice challenge!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mscrafty
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006 04:08:41 PM »

Oh wow. I just started working on a mini Lady Eleanor. I should of did Danica instead.  Undecided

Entrelac is not hard, it really isn't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittybritches
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006 11:20:31 PM »

I have gotten through the first two sections (rows of triangles/squares?).  I had to keep restarting last night because stitches kept jumping off my needles, or I totally got myself mixed up.  When I thought I had gotten throught the first MC section I got down to 2 stitches and realized I had only done 9 on the middle triangle instead of ten! ARGH! 
I started again today during lunch at work and worked on it off and on tonight and it really is moving fast!  I CO 30st instead of 20 just cause I wanted more width.  I am using the yarn called for in the pattern just because I think it is appropriate for the giftee, but I am imagining all sorts of combos! 
I dislike picking up stitches!! It is going ok though, I am hoping I will be a pro by the end.  I use a crochet hook to pull the yarn up.
I will take pics and post as soon as I can. 

Entrelac is seriously easy though, I always read that it was and I am SOOO happy to find that it is true  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abbyskeeper
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006 09:56:34 AM »

I'm on the second square in section 3 right now - and I agree that this is very easy to follow!

I dislike picking up stitches, too.  But doing only 10 at a time isn't so bad - and easy to pick up pretty evenly. 

I'm having to do "secret" knitting on this, (since it's for DH for Christmas).  I hope it doesn't take me too long!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
momma_bear
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006 01:45:53 PM »

I'm in. I have to admit, I already started this a while ago, but it seems to always be pushed aside for other projects. I think joining would give me the encouragement I need to finally finish this before the snow hits. I am doing a little bit of a twist on it though. I really don't like the way the back looks so I'm going to do a straight backing of stockinette, and join it, so it's twice the thickness, twice the warmth, and I don't have to see the back of it.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ambikab

Handmade like Woah!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006 02:26:33 PM »

I saw another version of this not too long ago but this version looks somewhat more readable (I think it was a translation from a German pattern.)  I'm definitely in but will have to wait to buy yarn until next weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittybritches
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006 09:41:44 AM »

I like the idea of a stockinette backing, I will have to decide if I dislike the back enough to cover it.  I was thinking of a fabric backing too, but I don't know how to sew a fabric onto a knitted item and wouldn't want to screw up on something thats a gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
momma_bear
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006 10:32:35 AM »

I think a nice fleece backing would work too, and you could sew it just like you'd sew any two pieces of material together, although it would probably have to be by hand. I can't say that I've had a whole lot of experience sewing material to knit items, but I did sew a lining into a bag I knit, and it worked basically like any other material. I usually double side most of my scarves, as I used intarsia frequently. I am eventually going to learn this double knit thing, and try that out, if it may be easier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittybritches
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006 08:28:09 AM »

I just tried to take a picture of my progress, but the batteries died right as I did it!

About the backing, maybe I will try to sew a lining into a purse to practice my skillz then sew on a nice soft backing Smiley

I've added a purple square and am wondering if anyone has a pattern in mind for adding the third color (if you are using three colors) or if you are just going to wing it.

Also I am knitting on circulars and as I laid it out to take a pic I thought that it might be a neat pattern for a purse with circular handles!  I may have to keep that in mind for the future. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 27/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 25/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 26/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 24/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 23/28
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...