A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 305,020
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewn needle roll for my Mom!  (Read 1320 times)
Tags for this thread: gifts_for_knitters  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 16, 2006 11:39:02 AM »

I finished my 1st homemade Cmas gift for the year, it's a knitting needle roll for my Mom!.  I made it last night (from 10pm-12midnight).  Not too hard, but I couldn't find one tute that had: a) measurements b) clear instructions AND c) consistant (large) photos!  Most had 2/3, but not all 3!  So, I winged it, with my own measurements and plan.

Anyhoo, here it is.

Inside, with my dirty paintbrushes (I have no hooks or needles!) to show it...room for lots of needles, as well as a few larger pockets for scissors, paper/plans/patterns, etc. etc.  The top shows how it folds down to cover the top of the needles.  She crochets too, so the little guys should fit well in the front pockets.

And the outside, with it folded.  Technically, it's a 'book', not a roll, since I sewed the tie straps on the edges, so if you rolled it, you would have to tie with one strap.  This view shows the fabric better, it's a heavyweight, brocade upholstery fabric; very classic and sturdy.

The bottom row can accomodate needles up to 9" tall, and the back row will fit up to 16" or so (that leaves a 3" flap to cover the top of the needle).  Each 'needle pocket' varies between 3/4" and 1.5" wide, but skinny needles fit well even in the larger ones, they don't slip out.

The whole thing (opened up) is 13" wide, and 19.5" tall (flap opened).  Closed, it is approx. 6" wide, by 13" tall. 

Anyways, I hope she likes it!

I don't knit though, so I'd love to see comments by others (who do) on this one!

Let me know if you think I should add anything else.
THANKS SO MUCH!

(P.S. Sorry if you saw this earlier, I ignorantly intended for it to be for crochet hooks, but was informed that they are only up to 9" tall or so, so I am now pretending that this is for knitting needles instead!  It's all fine, since Mom knits, it'll be for her and she'll never know the difference.  I made another one (for my Mother-In-Law) for crochet hooks, it's on the crochet board: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=post;msg=1306899;topic=133571.0;sesc=83f4c799c9e63851c90b889a123e68a7)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranberry
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006 01:14:17 PM »

What a lovely gift to recieve!

I want!

I think it's a nice little knit roll to carry about to the knitting group! It is lovely. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
creepyhugger
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006 02:25:21 PM »

very nice!  i need to make myself one of these...  i hate digging through my tote bags looking for my needles...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006 02:30:31 PM »

good  work!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
jaded
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006 05:23:51 PM »

I like the layered pockets.  More functionality in a small space.

Technically, you could roll it if you wanted to - you'd just fold it as you have it and then roll the folded edge towards the open edges, the ties go around the roll the way they already are and there you have it.

But, since you've got those handy wider pockets, it probably wouldn't be rolled even if it was meant to roll, so the book style is more useful.  Anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Gabrielle Reece’s Tips on Marriage
How to Use Deadlines to Achieve Writing Goals
Adapting Standup Comedy Writing to Screenwriting
An Excerpt from A Farewell to Arms By Ernest Hemingway
How to Get a Literary Agent
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...