A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,397
Currently Running With Scissors:
752 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet hook roll, EDITED cause I made a new one!  (Read 1539 times)
Tags for this thread: crochet_hook_roll , gifts_for_knitters  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 16, 2006 07:45:54 AM »

Here's an ACTUAL crochet hook roll.  I moved the first one I made to the knitting board, since it was much more appropriate for needles instead.  This is a Christmas present for my Mother-In-Law (the bestest ever!), and I don't know much about crochet.  I DO know her needles are stashed all over her house and could use some organizing!

This one is 12" tall (when the flap is opened, see the blue ruler for scale), so it will hold 8" needles with a 4" flap to cover the tops of them.  It has a few pockets in the front row as well, for scissors, patterns, etc.  The Sharpie markers are for scale, the are about 5.5" tall.

It has interfacing in the lining, and with the binding on the Left and Right edges, it is very sturdy.  Also, the tie is on one side, so it can be rolled correctly.

Here is the size when rolled up...about 9" tall.  Very compact to slide into her knitting bag.

Is this one better?  Thanks for the comments!

(P.S. I edited this because my first version was more of an appropriate knitting needle roll and TOO big for crochet hooks, so I posted it on the knitting board instead.  I used the suggestions of others to make a smaller, more suitable size for crochet hooks.
Here's the larger knitting one: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=133607.0)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006 11:50:26 AM by OriginalYouth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpookShowBaby
She's a Killer, She's a Thriller

Milk Sucks! Got Margaritas?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006 07:57:27 AM »

I crochet...I "purchased" a hook holder and it's not nearly as nice as yours...most of my hook slots are too small to even fit my hooks, only about four of my hooks fit in it...so I  use the other slots to hold needles...BUT...one like yours would be perfect....I think your MIL will love love love it!....I do...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't believe in ghosts, bigfoot, or flaking on your swap partner!

http://www.wists.com/SpookShowBaby
Amalas
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006 08:10:55 AM »

I'm a little concerned that the pockets are too tall.  Aren't crochet hooks only like 7" tall or so?  They'd end up getting lost in these pockets, especially the back ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Two roads diverged in a Yellow Wood
~ Twitter ~ Flickr ~
OriginalYouth

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006 08:19:22 AM »

I'm a little concerned that the pockets are too tall.  Aren't crochet hooks only like 7" tall or so?  They'd end up getting lost in these pockets, especially the back ones.
That's what I was afraid of...I wasn't sure how the size varied with hooks.  I will sew a seam above the top of the bottom pocket line if this is the case.  The top pocket is 9" tall (so a 9" hook could fit all the way to the bottom, and it would'nt peek out), so if I do this, it will change that to 5"...so a 7" hook would stick out 2".  I hope that makes sense.  I can do a quickie paint illustration if I need to.

Any more opinions on this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amalas
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006 08:32:39 AM »

I looked a few places, and they all say that crochet hooks are about 6" long.  I hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Twitter ~ Flickr ~
OriginalYouth

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006 08:35:22 AM »

I looked a few places, and they all say that crochet hooks are about 6" long.  I hope that helps.

Thanks!  D'oh!  If only I had thought to do that instead of just searching everywhere for roll tutorials.  I guess I was getting them confused with knitting needles (since I am yarn craft ignorant!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amalas
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006 08:41:32 AM »

Acutally, yes.  The bag you made would be nearly perfect for knitting needles.  Shorter knitting needles are 10" long and longer knitting needles are 14" long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Twitter ~ Flickr ~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon SD770 IS: Set Delete Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Auto Mode Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Sunset Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Sports Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Product Photography
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...