A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,657
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A different way to resize shirts!  (Read 33098 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

snowtigress
« on: November 15, 2006 08:49:55 PM »

Hi everyone.  I haven't seen any posts about the way I resize my shirts, so I thought I'd share. 
I might be what you crafty ladies (& gentlemen) would consider a lazy craftster.  I like to throw stuff together and just see what works.  Skipping steps is always awesome for me. 

These things considered, I cringe at the thought of removing sleeves from shirts when they are just fine in the first place, just oversized.  SOOOO I do not remove them when I do my shirts.  I simply shape the shirt as so that the extra width of the shirt almost becomes part of the sleeve.  But it doesn't actually look like that's what's happening when you wear it. 

So basically, I just cut off extras from the side of the shirt, and the bottom of the sleeve.

This shirt doesn't show it that well because I'm not the best at reconstructing yet, and the fact that I didn't make it very tight because I just want to wear it under t-shirts...but it does work and you can make the arms and torso slimmer in one big swipe!

Another bonus of this method is that the sleeves stay the same length!!!

Hopefully someone will find this helpful.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009 02:15:45 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nani-ka
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006 11:34:25 PM »

i'm going to have to try that... I have a couple of shirts I've been needing to re-size for myself.

Can I just draw the line & sew without cutting in case I have to pick it out & re-do it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bigger than a breadbox, Smaller than a cheese sandwich
pin

Everyday is Halloween

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006 05:10:17 AM »

That`s the way Im doing it too (most of the time). I never shared it in any DIY forum `cause I was afraid of being called a lazy crafter.
Good to know there are more people like me. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cupcakesorbet

I like pretty things

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006 12:38:36 PM »

Yes that is a good idea. I'm not quite at the 'making darts without a pattern' stage of crafting yet so this would suit me fine, thanks!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lars the pirate
.powderkeg.

.BOOM.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006 02:19:06 PM »

i've done it that way before. works pretty much the same. but since i taught myself how to do sleeves and the like, i've been addicted to taking them out, resizing and putting them back in. it also helps if you want to change colors/fabrics etc.

but yeah, i like this way also. yippee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SL rocks.
chicago_essie
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006 05:28:44 PM »

GOSH! There is no such thing as a "lazy crafter!"  I believe that we all have our styles and there are all different methods for doing things.  So if you find one that works...use it..PERIOD!!! I love it! I can't wait to go thrift some manly shirts Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shesxautomatic

my mom says i'm a catch.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006 09:55:32 PM »

i used to do the same thing when i started reconstructing my clothing. however, i don't like the look of the sleeve seams being so far down, or completely off, the shoulder. that's why the sleeves have to be removed and put back on - it creates a new seam in the correct place.

but if the shirt isn't that huge to begin with, you can go the "lazy craftster" (ha!) route.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"i didn't mean to maim you.
i only meant to kill you."

www.lladybird.wordp ress.com
www.wickedtomatofac tory.etsy.com
tamagotchi
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006 11:00:52 PM »

I almost always do this...but I think it only works well if your chest is pretty flat to begin with (like mine).  if you're super curvy I think you might have problems getting a good fit around the chest area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
shadowstealer
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006 11:07:02 PM »

Yay there are other Lazy Crafters! I did this a few hours ago with my favorite green and black shirt and now my sleves are back to being the right length! Woot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snowtigress
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006 11:28:54 PM »

Nani-ka: You can definitely just mark it instead of cutting before sewing. In fact, that's what I usualy do.  I guess I should have mentioned that as an option. 

And again, yay for laziness! 

I usually need the extra length in the sleeves, so doing it this way helps keep the length.  Shesxautomatic was right though that it could make the sleves a little (or even a lot) off the shoulder. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New Releases for Photographers
Photography and Make Up
Macro Photography Tips
What is Macro Photography
Lighting in Photography
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...