A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,910
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: gaudy attempted skirt  (Read 1540 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beautifulcreature

give me all your shinies, please.

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2006 08:21:51 PM »

I tried making a skirt based on a skirt i already had that fit really well and looked very simple. the original skirt didn't have the binding stuff at the bottom but i have a love affair going on with binding for some reason... there was more detailing around the waist but as the photos show i was having issues with fit and the waist already so i'm calling it done for now. i might go back and try to fix it but people are making fun of it and calling it Old Lady Fabric. ahck

this is it with a shirt convienently hiding the waist-

this is one where you can see where the waist kind of gaps. i think i'm going to try and take it in some.. there are side seams where i can try... except what you can't see in the pic quite so much is how tight it is in the hips so it sort of rides up and creases in the hip area if that makes sense... arg.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2006 12:54:16 AM by superstitch » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was happier then with no mindset.
Nadezh Star
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006 10:10:19 PM »

I love that fabric!!! Its so funky!! It'd make a killer jacket. Having said that I really like it as a skirt!! If it's tight around the hips and bunches etc why don't you cut it up a little and put in a waistband with a zip in it and maybe hook and eye closure at the top? that would probably help it sit around your hips nice.

Anyhoo
I heart this skirt and the fabric a lot. Smiles SmileySmiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flammable_feline

If people could put rainbows in zoos they'd do it.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006 12:49:38 AM »

thats cute. its a nice shape, from what i can tell from the photos...
my skirts are ALWAYS munted around the waist, if you wear long tops, no one can even tell Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006 03:51:28 AM »

Old lady fabric!!! No way. That fabric is beautiful! The large print is perfect on your slender figure. And I like the binding at the hem.  Cheesy

An easy way to take in the waist would be to put a few darts in the front, and a few in back, if needed. No need for a waistband.

As  for the tightness across the hips, why not just hike the skirt up a bit, until the amount of fabric across the hips gives you enough ease, then lop off the excess fabric at the top? You have nice legs, so you can afford to have the skirt length a bit shorter!

Take care of the hip issue 1st, then you can deal with the waist fitting w/ darts.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
julietalpha
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006 03:19:04 PM »

I like it!  And thank goodness for long shirts!  I have a sway back which means that everything gapes at the back - sometimes even after I've put darts it! - so good luck getting it to fit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So much to make, so little time!
beautifulcreature

give me all your shinies, please.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006 05:40:49 AM »

Heyya everyone-
Been working long 12 hour days so I didn't get to write back sooner and say thank you for kind comments and suggestions.
It doesn't show in the photo because the two are only from the front but the skirt's made in 3 panels and there's already a hook and eye closure with a zip in the back between the two back panels..
That's why I had such a nervous break down when it didn't fit because it took me 11 tries to get the zipper in decently.. 11 tries and 3 broken sewing machine needles.. oops.

anyway, I feel contrary saying- You're suggestions don't work! but because it's already there adding a zipper and hook won't help so much and I might go bonkerz if I ever see another zipper in my life. <G> and because the zipper and hook's already there hiking it up more and creating a waist lower in the original skirt means taking the zipper out.. and then I'm back to little white jacket and little padded room land again..

I'm going to try taking out the two side seams I think, resewing them with smaller seam allowances.. that'll make the waist even bigger but give my hips more space to spread, heh. then put in darts on the back to take it in at the waist and through the hips if there's any need after making it bigger... Does that make sense and sound right? I was just frustrated because I realized it wasn't being happy AFTER I'd put in zipper, hook & eye, and bias binding stuff on the bottom and good god I don't want to have to redo any of that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was happier then with no mindset.
librarylass
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006 05:47:53 AM »

I'm with everyone else and wonder the hell why anyone would call that stuff 'little old lady' fabric. so not. bold and funky and look perfect Wink is what it is.

I'm not a sewer but good luck sorting all that nasty fit stuff out.. because it really is a lovely skirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a wist!
http://wists.com/Bookybabe
So I up and decided to do the whole blog thing...
http://ballysaxter.blogspot.com

I do personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
30 Seconds to Frizz Free Hair
Learn to Create the Katniss Braid
Retro-Glam Hairstyle Tutorial
Easy Braided Updo Tutorial
How to Skip That Awkward Growing-Out Phase With Your Pixie
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...