A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,118
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: at least i tried... right?  (Read 1248 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beautifulcreature

give me all your shinies, please.

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2006 05:20:43 PM »

Lately I've been struck by the urge to make stuff.. something. anything. Saw a wallet tutorial and thought I'd try that. mutilated it and thought hey, maybe a purse would go over better. Not so much.

The topic says it though- At least I tried. Hopefully I'll be posting here more in the future and my sewing skillz will vastly improve so I don't have to continue hanging my head in absolute shame and mortification.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/beautifulcreature/walletinpurse.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/beautifulcreature/purselining-1.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/beautifulcreature/lining.jpg

In retrospect I wish I hadn't tried putting that binding around the edges of the wallet, it became extremely thick and difficult to work with and by the time I got to the purse I felt like I was beating my head into a brick wall. Better luck to me next though eh?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011 10:01:43 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was happier then with no mindset.
Leesah
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006 05:55:08 PM »

Good try!!!  The first few things you sew are always the hardest... you'll get the hang of it.. just keep trying.. buy lots of cheap fabric and have fun Smiley   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mebsmommy

searching for inspiration in everything

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006 06:48:30 PM »

It's the process, not the end result that should matter, right?  I mean, enjoy the journey not the destination!

I know it can be disappointing when you have a vision in your head about what you want it to look like and it doesn't quite turn out the way you expected.  But hey, next time you will go through the same steps and say, hey! I think I have a better way to do this!

You made something unique and one of a kind.............priceless.

*/ off of crazy soapbox, therapy session now /*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The best things you can give your children are roots and wings..............(?)
three thirty three..............my blog:  http://www.three30three.blogspot.com/
GirlyGirlBags
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006 07:00:45 PM »

You did a nice job for your first try!!  Don't give up.. keep trying and it will become easier.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beautifulcreature

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006 07:10:23 PM »

This place is full of the best punk/indie/creative/unique cheerleaders ever. Thank you.

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sooper_nikki

i do everything Alton tells me to

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006 07:16:45 PM »

I really do like it! It's a little rough looking, but that's what I like about it. Could I possibly buy it? I hope it's not innapropriate to ask on the message board. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheeky bastard
SpookShowBaby
She's a Killer, She's a Thriller

Milk Sucks! Got Margaritas?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006 10:39:43 PM »

I like it too!  Grin  I really do...it's got a special charm about it...AND you made it yourself...I totally agree with what the others said....the first one always seems to leave a funny taste in your mouth (I know this from personal experience), but each one you do after that only improves...you learn neat little ways to hide your mistakes with each one...don't give up....you should be proud...you've done good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't believe in ghosts, bigfoot, or flaking on your swap partner!

http://www.wists.com/SpookShowBaby
pinkninky
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006 10:55:08 PM »

"if at first you don't succeed, try, try again"

fantastic start! i'm nerdy, and i keep a craft journal, and the first few things that i made, well, not the greatest! this is what i do: draw a picture of what i want the final product to look like, then draft a pattern to make it work, follow my hand written pattern EXACTLY, then take a picture of the actual finished product. from there i will write in revisions if neccessary, and i photograph the "improved" versions as well. all of this, i keep in my craft journal.

its a great way to keep track of my sewing skills, especially when i learn a new technique - and when i'm bored, i'll flip through my older stuff, and apply my new skills to make a better version of it. i strongly suggest that you pick up a nice blank journal and start your own, because clearly you're on a great crafty path, and you'll enjoy documenting your own journey  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beautifulcreature

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006 05:27:43 AM »

sooper_nikki- I don't know how selling stuff here works.. if it's ok, if you want it you can buy it I guess. If you're serious I'd probably prefer to make a second one that didn't have some of the glaring problems of this one... like crooked liner fabric and stuff.

Heh, I really do hope that things after this start getting easier.

I think the keeping a crafting journal is going to be the way to go. I'm usually a very disorganized scattered person but it just doesn't work well for this sort of thing for me it seems. and I don't want to keep repeating mistakes. I'm going to go write on the blackboard a few hundred times, "I will be an Organized CraftGeek"

Thank you everyone for being all supportive and kind!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Yakitori
How to Make Pad Thai - Thai Foodcast:
Learn About Traditional Indian Food
Learn About Different Kinds of Raw Fish
How to Make Spider Rainbow Sushi
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...