A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 298,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spice Swap? Cooking Swap?  (Read 2044 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ChloeZ

this is why graffitti rocks

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 15, 2006 10:43:58 AM »

Hey All,

I love to cook. Love it! And I love trying new things. One of my all time favorite swap items that I received were herbs de Provence from France along with some sea salt from the north of France. Believe it or not the salt is Awesome on salads, has a great taste.

I thought it would be fun to swap seasoning mixes / spices with other folks here. It could be international or it could just be based on tastes.

Maybe it would go something like I give out 5 packets of my rockin' taco seasoning packet and my roasted potato seasonings to 5 people and get 5 different tastes in return (cajun spice, paella seasonings, rubs for grilling, cinamon sugar, curry, I could go on and on) etc.

Maybe we can include recipes for the spices or suggestions for what to make with it. The craft here would be creating the seasonings and to package them in some fun way.

What do you all think??

Sound fun or totally random?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.knitmoi.blogspot.com

I really really really would love to have Interweave Knits Spring 2007 for those Eunny Chang entrelac socks. . . Does anyone want to swap for it?! I have yarn, I can sew, embroider, knit.
glittergirl94
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006 05:34:28 PM »

I bet even a recipe swap would be fun.  Ohhh(the hamster is running on the wheel at full speed!) we could even decorate the recipe card similar to that of an atc, only bigger.  We could do them in groups of five(similar to the sweat shop swap)?  Make five of the same recipe cards and then send them to five different people and then get five back... 

I just realized... I'm not trying to squash your spice swap idea, really I'm not.  I just get carried away with myself.  Maybe we could do recipe cards in addition to spice packets?  This sounds like fun either way...  Bookmarked!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkkittypiper
Bead Junkie

Can't cut a straight line to save my life...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006 05:39:23 PM »

I like the recipe cards idea - could write the recipe on one side and decorate the other
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where the wild things are is where I am most at home!
Wanna do a personal swap? PM me!!!
My wists: http://www.wists.com/pinkkittypiper
Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006 11:31:06 PM »

I love the spice idea.  I was just saying a few days ago (on a different thread obviously) that I do a nice mussaman curry powder.  I think I would need to include the recipie for the Balti curry I make out of it though. 

I have customs concerns though.  I suspect this stuff would be seized by Australian customs.  I'd have to check that out.  It looks like I would be unable to participate   Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
glittergirl94
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006 03:21:22 AM »

I was wondering about that myself...  Maybe just the recipe card would work in that situation?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChloeZ

this is why graffitti rocks

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006 06:43:35 AM »

OH never thought about customs! I received things from France, but maybe that was a fluke. . .

Maybe if the spices themselves are no good we can do receipes for the spice mixes. . .

Receipe cards could be very fun too. Maybe some sort of cooking combo swap?!

I'm sure others out there have other ideas, this can morph into a fun swap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.knitmoi.blogspot.com

I really really really would love to have Interweave Knits Spring 2007 for those Eunny Chang entrelac socks. . . Does anyone want to swap for it?! I have yarn, I can sew, embroider, knit.
Polkaroo
Running with scissors since 1978

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006 09:05:56 AM »

I love the idea of a recipe card swap... count me in if this goes ahead!  I've already got a million ideas bubbling. Smiley

I agree with the possible customs issues with spices, though.  The customs rules for food products can be a bit dicey when shipping across the border (I still remember the glare I got when I joked about having milk chocolate in my luggage when the customs agent asked if I had any "meat or dairy products" in my luggage... *sigh* I thought it was funny, dammit.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amalas
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006 12:22:20 PM »

I already have too many spices, but it couldn't hurt to have some more.    Cheesy

I would also be fine w/ a recipe swap.  I loooove getting new stuff to try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Two roads diverged in a Yellow Wood
~ Twitter ~ Flickr ~
glittergirl94
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006 02:11:21 PM »

Well, if we went did just a recipe card swap, we could do it in themes...  For instance; the first one could be recipes for snacks and appetizers, and then a second swap could be for soups, the third for dinner/main course items, then salads, desserts, ect...  Even a beverage round...  It'd be a great way to build a recipe box!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knitty club
old is the new new

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006 02:27:49 PM »

I have customs concerns though.  I suspect this stuff would be seized by Australian customs.  I'd have to check that out.  It looks like I would be unable to participate   Sad

Australia has pretty harsh laws, not all international participants would undergo the same scrutiny. I love this idea! I always buy sprinkles when I am in America because here in Sweden cake decorations of American calibre are forbidden due to the additives... But I love them and get many surprised ooh's and aah's when I bake.
Likewise, I know there are alot of things here which do not exist in many other places around the world.

I would be into this! and Miss Vicki, maybe as long as it can't grow, it would be ok? Isn't that the Australian custom's main concern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the mermaids in the basement came out to look at me
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Nightmare on Elm Street Glove
How to Make a Mosaic
How to Make a Native American Flute
How to Make a Mandala
How to Make a Magazine Holder Out of a Cereal Box
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...