A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: dorm gifts?  (Read 1753 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krazykt1286
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006 11:16:12 AM »

more details about boyfriend, roomie, and other girl down my hall:

boyfriend: NERD! lol we're both in school for engineering (him computer & electrical, me Biomedical), he loves music and techie stuff, but he's not a gamer, he's a little kid @ heart - he loves coloring and playing with toys, we were both in the marching band but the season ended...
--i've made SO many things for him...a shirt, an etched bowl, a stocking, ya know... so i'm out of ideas :S

roomie: love her to DEATH. she's very easily entertained...so i might just get some small toys for her...we share a new-found love of eddie izzard, also a biomedical engineer, she juggles - it's her stress reliever, also very into music, kinda almost tom-boy-ish but not completely...
--thinking of stencilling a shirt or attempting to knit a scarf..but my knitting skills are lacking Tongue

other friend: studying nursing, very cute and sarcastic, is in a choir that requires lots of commitment, over-anxious and stresses over small things (as do i), also shares the love of eddie izzard...
--small stuffed animal or pillow for her? havent given her a lot of thought...

my current idea for the girls on my floor is making little felt pins for them...idea i found on the jewelry board (plush badges or something like that) and doing little bags of candy with labels like snowman poop (marshmallows), reindeer poop (chocolate covered raisins), reindeer food (red and green jelly beans or m&ms), elf pillows (pillow mints), etc...
one pin and one bag of candy each...does that sound like a decent gift?

i'm hoping the things will turn out alright, and not too "homemade" looking...that's one thing i hate, when my presents turn out looking like i'm just cheap, not that i actually put my care into their presents...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006 11:18:10 AM by krazykt1286 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jecajeek
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006 10:51:57 PM »

Something I've done before was got small/cheap photo albums from the dallar store or target or anywhere and decorated with a paint pen with frosh 2006 or Mullins 3rd West or their names or whatever

and if there's time makeing copies of a picture you like of the two of you/the group/floor

and if you're sentimental or have even more time a personalized note about why you like the picture or the memories from the moment of the picture or about the friendship etc

Grin Jeca
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We cannot all do GREAT things but we can all do SMALL things with great LOVE~Mother Theresa
CraftyCoug

Croquet at Molbaks

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006 12:06:36 AM »

elf pillows (pillow mints)

That is so cute!!  I love those mints soooooo much!  MMM, must find some elf pillows!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down w/ a personal swap now and then!  PM me!

www.craftycougknits .blogspot.com
talmina
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006 02:47:29 AM »

For the friend studying nursing, what about some cute stressballs, either plushies or something similar to stress balls, and a relaxation pack, if you aren't allowed candles/incense in your dorm, use some dried lavendar or similarly relaxing plant, some relaxing, or energising herbal teas, a chill out cd, and one of those cooling eye pads.

For your roomie, you could do something similar to the relaxation pack.  Or you could give both a voucher for a homemade facial/pamper session (depending on what you can whip up in the dorm).  Otherwise, while you are making the stress balls for the other friend, make some juggling balls for her.

For the bf you could make him a cute colouring book, actually somewhere there is an executive colouring book that my bf found hilarious, I think you can find it on iambored.com.  Otherwise do something based of one of his fave webcomics or something.  If he is into the pen and paper rpg's like d'n'd you could make him a chuthullu or some other mythical character.  Or a funky folder to store his character sheets in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazykt1286
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006 09:56:10 AM »

thanks for the ideas...a destress thing would be great for the nursing friend, but who knows how well i could actually pull it off.... :S

roomie, has GOOD juggling balls...she's actually a very serious juggler. weird, yes. and a pamper thing wouldnt really be her...too boy-ish for that...

boyfriend...i've made him a coloring book before...and the other things dont really work...

sorry, i'm not trying to be difficult, just explaining...thanks so much for the ideas tho! like i said before, all suggestions are getting the wheels turning...

i just got the little marble things to make marble magnets (or maybe pins...we all have bulletin boards...), so if my little felt pins dont work, i'll be making magnets with the candy stuff...or maybe all 3! who knows...i have varying levels of ambition, we'll see what all i get accomplished Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
talmina
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006 05:56:36 PM »

Do you think you could whip your roomie up a jesters cap, or something equally crazy?

What instrument does your bf play in the band?  Could you do somethng related to that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinasworld
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006 08:18:28 PM »

I was in those shoes 2 years ago when i was still dorming...

my solution:

Customised Christmas ornaments. They come unpainted then you paint them however you want!

I had trees and stars ornaments and they all had their name and date! Everyone loved 'em and still have 'em.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
funkyjunkie
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006 01:58:33 PM »

You could do personalized note cards for the girls on your floor. Get a pack of cover stock paper, some plain envelopes (or make your own if you're up to it) and make up a few on your computer/printer. Gift with a nice pen or funky pencil, and magnets. 

OR ... another option with the cardstock, picture frames (which could double as holiday cards). If you know anyone with scrapbooking gear, maybe you can use the stencil cutters for openings. Decorate, put magnets on the back. Again, gift with something else like your food goodies.

Speaking of food goodies ... puppy chow would be a super hit! The easiest think I could think of for multiple gifts are your food goodies and little giftie items (like your magnets) in a decorated lunch-size paper sack. Something with a little ribbon and a gift tag.

And, for boyfriend ... silly putty, slinky, jelly bellies ... a collage of your pics together

roomie ... a collection of music you create

if you sew & have the time ... fleece socks, hats or mufflers. I made fleece socks one year for Xmas and they were a hit. I just used a pattern I bought.

good luck and have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funky junkie ~ addictively good handcrafted jewelry ~ www.funkyjunkie.biz ~ the blog @ www.funkyjunkie.biz/blog
xx_Kellybean
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006 04:53:54 PM »

for my friend that went away to college, i got those little clear marbles and put a picture of each of our friends that are in our little "group" and surrounded it by a sweet smelling candle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Embellish Skirts
How to Sew an Invisible Zip
How to Make a Tutu Dress
The Wildlife Pins of George G. Harris
Ryan at the Hot Shop
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...