A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Saharah: Stitch Diva (Knit & Tonic)  (Read 37430 times)
Tags for this thread: sahara  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

missknitty
« Reply #280 on: August 18, 2007 01:43:42 PM »

Yeah - me (again!). I'm currently on hold (waiting to be able to print out the wrap&turn instructions), so I wanted to ask this in the mean time: When you get to the wrap&turn in the pattern, are you doing the back and front separately or is it still done in the round? I have to say the pattern confuses me a bit at this point. I've only done 1 w&t, because I'm afraid of botching it by turning and purling back to the armhole marker. Can anyone make me wiser?

I'm also wondering what the ''TBL'' means in the diamond rib pattern. (And, since I have a 72 st sleeve, whether to decrease/increase for the diamond rib - I can't find a mention of that anywhere in the pattern!)

(And I'm thanking my lucky stars for the existence of this KAL right now...!)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007 03:35:40 PM by missknitty » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: August 19, 2007 04:59:58 PM »

tbl = through the back loop. Video example can be found at the www.knittinghelp.com Glossary page.

Whether or not you are proceeding in the round, a wrap & turn is knitting flat.  http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/ Scroll down to the Short Row with Wrap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aunt Suzi
« Reply #282 on: August 19, 2007 07:34:33 PM »

Checking back in on my earlier problem, which I've now solved.  Here's the substitute lace I used:

The diamond lace from the pattern is up top and "#78 tiny eyelet rib" from the Vogue Stitchionary Vol. 1 is below.  It's worked very well.  Similar number of stitches and rows.  Lies flat, stretches to fit.  Because it does take up less width/no. of stitches, I picked up a few extra around the neckline, and it's worked fine.  I'll post a picture of the unblocked sweater to my blog soon. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missknitty
« Reply #283 on: August 26, 2007 12:44:37 PM »

Nice! Cheesy

I probably completely botched the wrap&turn (the instructions still make no sense to me!), but it's coming out ok still.

I used the Pure & Simple for the arm and bottom lace pattern, too. I'm afraid I won't have enough Atmosphere to go around, so I decided to only use it for the neck lace pattern.

On another note: has anyone else used the Tilli Tomas yarn, and if so, can you share your blocking experiences? Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aunt Suzi
« Reply #284 on: September 08, 2007 04:20:49 PM »

Just wanted to let you know that I finally finished!  In typical Aunt Suzi style it took me days and days just to get around to sewing that one, simple seam.  But here it is: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=195001.0
...also on my blog, of course.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missknitty
« Reply #285 on: September 08, 2007 04:55:37 PM »

It looks awesome! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mizoodle
« Reply #286 on: February 24, 2008 03:13:14 PM »

So, I'm brand new here at Craftster--though I don't know why.  I've been crafting for years and own my own costume business.  This site is GREAT!

Anyway, I'm making up my Sahara (no fancy silks for me--cause they are EXPENSIVE in Japan!  Just plain-ole variegated merino wool in shades of blue, lavender and grey), and I'm just about to join the front.  Now, I'm a left-handed knitter (cue screaming here), and I always have to reverse the instructions on patterns, as a rule.  However, the instructions for the front join have me a bit confounded.

Are you supposed to knit across the front panel (in my case, the right front) all the way around the the underarm on the opposite side (the left, and supposedly the EOR) and then knit the other front (the left), join, and go back around a second time to the EOR marker (on the right side)?  OR do you knit until you come to the first underarm marker (right side), make that the EOR, and then continue on around to the left, join the front and finish up back at that very first underarm marker?

Any help you could give me would be great, because thus far, I love how nicely this sweater has knit up, and all the other instructions have been easy to understand and follow.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mizoodle
« Reply #287 on: February 25, 2008 02:28:40 PM »

...and a new issue crops up.

I decided to follow the letter of the Join Front instructions to see what would happen.  Well.  What happened was that now that I'm knitting in the round, the arms of my stitches end up twisted.  Did anyone else have this problem on this particular project (because this really defies the laws of physics and circular knitting!) or is this yet one more oddity produced by left-handed knitting?

I have a sinking suspicion that I need to do the increase for the center section on a purl row, turn, and then join everything up on the next knit row and continue on in the round. This is going to create a small gap, but I'm hoping that can be closed up in finishing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aunt Suzi
« Reply #288 on: February 25, 2008 02:38:24 PM »

Yeah, the twisted stitch thing.  I have the problem.  For me, stitches are not twisted when I knit in the round but are twisted when I knit back and forth, unless I knit through the back loop instead (and not just on this project - but I never noticed it till I did a project like this where you switch from back and forth to circular).  I have never figured out why this is.  So I can't help you with an explanation.  But try knitting through the back of the loop instead of the front and see if that untwists your stitches. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mizoodle
« Reply #289 on: February 26, 2008 04:22:29 AM »

So I can't help you with an explanation.  But try knitting through the back of the loop instead of the front and see if that untwists your stitches.

I'll try this and see what happens.  I don't really relish having to ktbl for the remainder of the sweater, but if it works, then that's what has to be done.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Survey Shows Women Have No Shame In Buying Fake Designer Items
Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt Prove the Power of Neutrals
Carbon Copy: Get The Military Jacket With Leather Sleeve For Less
3 Ways to Wear Your Turtleneck Sweater
Designer Launches Rooster Shoes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...