A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
753 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: please help keep me from going crazy...  (Read 722 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chamaecyparis
« on: November 14, 2006 03:56:36 PM »

...and help me find a solution to the Christmas present dilemma.

Here's the story:  In the last few months I've developed tendonitis in my arms (at least I think that's what it is), and it's really cramping my crafting style.  I'm usually always doing things with my hands, but now almost all of the things I usually do make my wrists and elbows hurt worse then they already do.  Anyway, I haven't been able to knit for about a month now  Angry(knitting=my form of craftster crack Wink), and most other things I know how to do require similar wrist movement.  Even writing for more than 10 minutes or so hurts!

As you can imagine, I'm starting to get slightly frustrated and bored.  And I was planning to knit christmas presents for everyone this year.  So if anyone has any ideas for crafts I can do that won't be too hard on my wrists (and might make good christmas presents), I'd really appreciate your suggestions. I figure knitting, crocheting, sewing, and beadwork are all pretty much out. 

Thanks in advance- i'm sure the collective craftster mind will have many more creative ideas than I can come up with!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006 04:01:28 PM »

have  you tried the  wrist  guards?
  and  aleve  really  helps  the  pain.   and  swelling.
my step mom and I  use sleves that  have  ice  packs  in tehm  to  help  keep the  swelling  down.  we  put them on before  we  start and   it  helps  tremdously!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
chamaecyparis
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006 04:15:53 PM »

wrist guards didn't really help...I think maybe the problem is more in my elbow, but makes my wrist hurt too?  And the pain isn't really bad enough to need a pain killer- it's more of a constant dull ache, but it gets to be a sharper pain if I strain it too much.  I'm kind of worried that taking aleve or something would cause me to hurt it more, beacuse I wouldn't be able to tell when it was feeling strained.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006 01:26:36 PM »

maybe some arm/hand stretching exercises would work...it helps me every once in awhile with repetitive motion stuff.
1. put your hands, palms together in front of your chest like you're praying, forearms parallel to the floor. move the bottoms of your wrists down gently toward your belly button.
2. assume the same praying position but rotate your hands away from you, forearms still parallel to the floor, feeling the stretch on the insides of your forearms
3. hold your hands out in front of you like you're stopping someone and alternate your hands up, down to stretch the top and bottom of your forearms.
and maybe try something besides knitting for a bit to rest your elbows and let them recover.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006 01:35:15 PM »

have you used Sombra yet? It's a natural painreliever, you can get it on the net if you can't get it at a chiropractor or massage place. I use it all the time and it helps speed up healing when my arms get like that. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
chamaecyparis
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006 09:43:10 PM »

Ooh, I'll have to ask my chiropractor about the natural pain reliever.  Thanks!

Also, thanks for the stretching exercises.  I'll give them a try.  I've already knocked off most of the things that bother my wrists and elbows for about a month, but it's still getting worse.  I'm not sure what the problem is (but I am going to see a doctor soon).

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hollow Shel
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006 11:49:45 PM »

Yeah, I wouldn't delay on seeing a doctor, because that sounds like a really bad sign. I know it took some time for my wrists and hands to improve when I took measures to fix my repetitive stress injuries, but they did not get worse after I'd taken steps. You might have other issues going on aside from repetitive stress
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not obsessive compulsive, I am not obsessive compulsive, I am not obsessive compulsive...

Bringing sexy back for a refund. It really just wasn't "me".
chamaecyparis
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006 09:39:45 AM »

Yeah, I think it might be lyme disease...that's why I'm trying to think of crafts to do that are easier on my wrists, because it might be a while before they really get better (and I need to do something with my hands).  Oh well, hopefully I'll find out the cause pretty soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006 09:47:28 AM »

((((I'm so sorry! ))))

Try making scarves, etc. from thermal fleece. You can cut them out with a rotary cutter (they even make those with decorative edges) that's pretty easy on your hands.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
chamaecyparis
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006 08:51:16 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion!  I should be able to do something like that without too much trouble.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Match Wellies to Your Outfit
Give Your Sweater a Festive Embellished Collar
The Must-Have Moto Jackets You Need Now
Marsha Ambrosius Talks Leather & Layering With VIBE VIXEN
Web Deals This Cyber Monday
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...