A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,015
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is Walmart getting rid of fabric??  (Read 62814 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: March 24, 2010 09:26:23 PM »

Walmart definitely is doing away with fabrics.  It is being replaced by an expanded electronics department which earns them more money per square foot than fabrics/crafts.  This was the excuse reason that I was provided with...I guess on paper it would make business sense, but you figure from our perspective, how can you do something like this in the current economy?  Seriously?!  I think their business is more inclined to suffer b/c people are now going elsewhere to get their craft on....and who the heck is going to be affording to go out and randomly purchase electronic equipment when handmade things are becoming more affordable forms of entertainment and gifting?  just saying....

People are more willing to spend more on their entertainment in this economy than on practical things, like clothing.  Most people can't sew, we are the select few, we are the minority.  When people on a budget can spend less on clothing so they can spend more on electronic entertainment, they will, even if in the long run they aren't spending less on clothing or food.  Most people don't see the BIG pic. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krafty_Karasu
call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #501 on: March 24, 2010 09:57:41 PM »

my problem is that I don't sew clothes.  Sad  I haven't done that since my senior year of high school.  that was 10 years ago.  I'm too afraid to make clothing, though as soon as I get my craft dungeon back I'll be making a pair of lounge pants.  but those are easy.  so I have to buy 99.9% of my clothing.  trust me; if I could sew my own normal clothes, I would.  then I'd be even more mad that Wal-Mart doesn't have fabric.  right now all I do are purses and pillows and stuff like that.  so it's not as big of a deal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
Idle Hands
« Reply #502 on: March 29, 2010 10:18:00 PM »

The conversion is in process.  There was one Wal-Mart about 10 miles from me that missed the previous "downsize" of the craft department.  They have now lost all fabric and their sewing stuff is maybe a 12 foot wide section of the back wall.  There is still some yarns and a skeleton of craft stuff by comparison to the downsized department. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What would you get if you crossed a goat and a sheep?
An animal that eats tin cans and gives back steel wool.
Idle Hands
« Reply #503 on: March 29, 2010 10:30:50 PM »

Walmart definitely is doing away with fabrics.  It is being replaced by an expanded electronics department which earns them more money per square foot than fabrics/crafts.  This was the excuse reason that I was provided with...I guess on paper it would make business sense, but you figure from our perspective, how can you do something like this in the current economy?  Seriously?!  I think their business is more inclined to suffer b/c people are now going elsewhere to get their craft on....and who the heck is going to be affording to go out and randomly purchase electronic equipment when handmade things are becoming more affordable forms of entertainment and gifting?  just saying....

People are more willing to spend more on their entertainment in this economy than on practical things, like clothing.  Most people can't sew, we are the select few, we are the minority.  When people on a budget can spend less on clothing so they can spend more on electronic entertainment, they will, even if in the long run they aren't spending less on clothing or food.  Most people don't see the BIG pic. 
I personally consider crafting my entertainment and factor that into the cost of a project.  As an example in 8 hours time I can buy a $20-$30 purse then go see three movies at $40-$50 including snacks vs. 8 hours of crafting for $20 to make a better purse than what I would be able to buy for my cost of materials.  Even if I consider the $8 in rental fees for a DVD playing in the background as I work, I'm still $$$$ ahead.

I think the idea of crafts contradicts what Wal-Mart's philosopy is. Buy cheap crap repeatedly so the retailer makes big profits doesn't mesh well with the customer taking pride in the self-made quality product.  I think there's some instant gratification conflicts there too but I can't seem to get the words to work out right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What would you get if you crossed a goat and a sheep?
An animal that eats tin cans and gives back steel wool.
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: March 30, 2010 06:37:57 AM »

But I also said that we crafters were in the minority.  Because we are.  There's another thread in this forum entitled "Sewing isn't just for Grandmother's" and that right there says alot.  Personally you may know alot of people that are crafty but the big picture is that alot of people aren't.  People would rather buy a $5 t-shirt so that they can afford their $50 Wii game, or $700 big screen TV to play the newest releases on or their Wii, or buy a new camera or phone or even computer.  Just because you personally don't do that, doesn't mean that the population as a whole doesn't.  Wal-Mart banks on it.  Crafters are the minority.  They aren't bringing in the big bucks.  Think about the times you go buy crafts at Wal-mart, how much do you spend in one trip?  Personally I rarely spend a dime at Wal-mart anymore on crafts because they rarely have what I need.  But in the past I never went over $20.  Compare the small sales, they make off of us, $20 here....$10 there, versus $50 + over in the electronics wall.  Fabric section .....dead.  Electronics wall....pumpin, crowded, people all over the place.  Yeah, I can see why we as crafters would matter.   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

doodahmomma
« Reply #505 on: April 07, 2010 12:12:05 PM »

I had heard this as well....my friend's sister works in the fabric/crafts dept, and she was told that because of theft of fabrics, the department is being phased out this year.  Maybe that is just in Michigan?  Apparently, some people like to get expensive pieces of fabric as well as clearance pieces of equal yardage and switch that receipt between fabric dept and checkout, ditching the clearance fabric along the way.  Has been an unprofitable department for awhile.  Too bad someone ruined it for all of us Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beesrme
« Reply #506 on: April 13, 2010 07:48:25 PM »

they got rid of fabrics in ontario,canada ...not surprising since no one was ever around and didn't know how to cut or label it...one day it was self serve and even still i was ahead of the manager on all parts of the job...he wanted to hire me lol....when someone finally showed up....i guess after 3 requests for help, and my do it myself idea, noone wanted to be responsible for me...lol neither do my sons at times or husband when it comes to fabrics and i...oh well it is not my 1st place to shop on whole only in a pinch...mostly i shop at home owned fabric shops and quilting shops...not even fabricland if i can help it... Smiley  happy sewing everyone
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kwicz
« Reply #507 on: April 22, 2010 12:16:52 PM »

As far as I can tell, nobody with ties to the WM home office has chimed in, so I will. Wal-Mart doesn't like to compete with specialty stores that can get better volume pricing than they can, so they are phasing out a lot of the craft supplies as each existing store is remodeled. Fabric by the yard in particular, because they have no good way to keep fabric from walking out the door.

The three new or remodeled stores in this area still have some sewing supplies, and sometimes fat quarter bundles or other quilting cuts, but no fabrics by the yard. Unless there's a huge change in demand or one of the big chain craft stores goes out of business, it's unlikely that WM will carry fabrics by the yard again. However, they *are* waiting longer between remodels because of the economy, so if your local store still has their fabric they probably will for a while longer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krafty_Karasu
call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #508 on: April 22, 2010 12:37:28 PM »

I better get up to the 3 near me that still have fabric by the yard then and snatch some up!  the one here was built without that section, but 3 older ones still have fabric.  the good news is that one of them is right on the way to where my tattoo artist is.  the bad news is I don't have my tattoo plans worked out yet, so I have no real reason to go to that one until I do.  Tongue

my Wal-Mart has some crafts and sewing stuff, but I can't tell you how many "out of stock" tags there are in the bead section.  it's sad really.  Wal-Mart is the only place to get craft items in my city.  I have to travel no less than 45 minutes to get to any chain craft store like Jo-Ann.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
rural_neural
« Reply #509 on: May 15, 2010 07:19:33 PM »

I've seen at least four Wal-Marts in Arizona get rid of fabrics, and one ensmalled the craft area. The new one by me has no fabric department. I am quite rural, so going to the chain fabric stores is a big deal, and a special treat. Was so nice when Wal-Mart had fabric. I could get ground beef, tampons, motor oil, and a year's worth of clearance fabrics all in one go. *sigh*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chandelier Casts Tree Shadows on Wall
Hudson Yards Exhibition Space Design
Shades Of Spring
How to Decorate Outdoor Rooms
How to Set Up Your Patio For Spring
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...