A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 53
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is Walmart getting rid of fabric??  (Read 52397 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

2prettie
« Reply #490 on: September 13, 2009 03:52:03 PM »

I'm too lazy to go through and read the entire thread but I can say that I work for Wal-Mart and I can tell you for sure that they are getting rid of the fabric department. Within the next three years I believe there will be no fabric in any Wal-Mart. We haven't been told why they are doing it but it's their choice we have been telling customers to dial the 1 800 walmart number to air your concerns. I know there are sooooo many people that are saddened by this. I happen to be one of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
notanotherxerox
« Reply #491 on: September 13, 2009 05:05:37 PM »

Does anyone know if theres a petition or something online we can sign?
I already used the feedback form on walmart.com
The other fabric store nearby is ridiculously expensive, so now I have to drive over a half an hour to go to Joanns:( At least they have a great clearance selection. As much as I hate Wal-Mart, I really miss their fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One of a kind upcycled greeting cards
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ReCardCreations
Send someone a smile, help the Earth
IamSusie
« Reply #492 on: September 25, 2009 03:33:03 PM »

Does anyone know if theres a petition or something online we can sign?

There was, but that was a while ago.  I think it's pretty much a done deal, although very few local stores seem to be keeping their departments based on the local market. (According to the anecdotal evidence reported in this thread..)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maeganb
« Reply #493 on: March 03, 2010 07:34:20 PM »

Wal-mart where i live has removed all of their fabric section and reduced the other crafts by about 1/2, so yea i am not really happy with that decision.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
daludestar
« Reply #494 on: March 04, 2010 10:22:27 AM »

Hi everyone, not sure this has been noted yet or not, but they ARE phasing the fabrics out of all of their redesigned stores and new stores as well. Apparently the one lady on the board who continuously demanded a fabric section in the store has since resigned or past away (can't remember which). My info comes from a discussion I had about 2 months ago with a store associate who's been with the company 20 plus years and knows her stuff. Sorry to upset you all, being a fellow friend of the needle and thread, I am saddened by this as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krafty_Karasu
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #495 on: March 04, 2010 10:57:03 AM »

it is true.  they are phasing it out unfortunately.  the Wal-Mart the was built in my town just a few years ago never even had a fabric section, but the 2 stores 45 minutes from me still have it as well as at least one other about an hour and a half from me.  but I know it'll all be gone soon enough.  Sad  it's not fair and I think it is a seriously stupid decision.  I've spoken to some people about fabric at Wal-Mart and they laugh at me.  why?  because they have it in their stupid little heads that the fabric at Wal-Mart is of a lower quality than what you find at Jo-Ann (for example).  that is totally untrue.  I know a lot of people think Wal-Mart is the devil, but I only think that when it comes to the crafts department.  I wish there was a petition we could set up to try and change their minds, but what good would it do for stores like mine?  Cry Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
peace_piper
« Reply #496 on: March 04, 2010 09:23:16 PM »

This is the first I've heard of it and I have to say that's a bummer. I personally don't have a wal-mart anywhere near me at all. The closest one is at least six hours drive away. We do have a Kmart, but their craft section consists of some binders and a few magic markets. There's also a Target, but they are the same. Pretty much the only places to get fabric here at Joann's and some local (read: expensive shops). It's rare to find fabric for anything less than $9-10/yard even for not very good fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SillyJessi
« Reply #497 on: March 17, 2010 01:57:20 PM »

My walmore did away with fabric, and most of the arts & crafts section.  It used to be huge.  There were always people mulling around in that department.  *I* was always there, that's for sure.

But we do have a bigger electronics department, and toy section *scoff*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fochaux
« Reply #498 on: March 24, 2010 12:11:00 PM »

Walmart definitely is doing away with fabrics.  It is being replaced by an expanded electronics department which earns them more money per square foot than fabrics/crafts.  This was the excuse reason that I was provided with...I guess on paper it would make business sense, but you figure from our perspective, how can you do something like this in the current economy?  Seriously?!  I think their business is more inclined to suffer b/c people are now going elsewhere to get their craft on....and who the heck is going to be affording to go out and randomly purchase electronic equipment when handmade things are becoming more affordable forms of entertainment and gifting?  just saying....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Since my girls actually nap (knock on wood), I am going to start trying to work off my negative feedback.  Life got hectic with their early arrival.  I apologize for the inconveniences my flaking caused.
soorawn
« Reply #499 on: March 24, 2010 12:20:46 PM »

When I studied marketing, they taught me that you make customers for your product by creating the need.  For example, you bombard your target potential customers with as much publicity as you can possibly afford, and then they come to believe they cannot live without the product.  How many people do NOT have a gamebox or similar gadget? (I don't, but hey, I am within the minority of Western people who rarely watch TV, and don't even have one).  How many people do NOT drink coke?  Ask anybody not to drink it anymore and see what they answer.
That's our society, and the only meaning customers have for sellers is income.  They don't care for anything else, and if they've done an expensive market research that shows they're supposed to earn more by one method than another, be sure they'll choose that one.  So one person buys an electronic equipment and earns the seller as much as, let's say, twenty people buying craft material.  Fewer people will buy the gadget, but if the gadget has been created so that it needs/calls for replacements or increases (new software, for instance, more games...), then the customer becomes a long term one, at least for the life of the product.  And if they market it properly, when the product goes to the bin the customer will come back for an upgrade.  Perfect marketing strategy.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010 12:21:50 PM by soorawn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Raw Southern Style Cherry Cobbler Recipe
Filipino Cascaron Bitsu Bitsu Carioca Recipe
Cookie Dough Bite Recipe
Chewy Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
Chocolate-Dipped Biscotti Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...