A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote for your favorite Bottle It Up project now! Smiley
Total Members: 302,458
Currently Running With Scissors:
398 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 53
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is Walmart getting rid of fabric??  (Read 60570 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dancingrabbit
« Reply #310 on: April 05, 2007 04:33:21 PM »

Not everyone who crafts is into the fun fur, sparkles, and sequins scene.  Maybe something ala Anthropologie?

Oh, you are so so right.  That's my beef too, both with Walmart and with Hancock's closing many of their stores.  Why don't they carry fabric that people would actually want to wear on their bodies in public?  I sew for myself because I want to dress in better clothes than off-the-rack.  And for pity's sake, I'm 28.  I also don't want to dress like I've been at Club Libby Lu.

I sent Walmart a message suggesting this, and I'm sure they are taking it to heart even now.   Roll Eyes

I'm sure there is some practical economic reason why fabric store prints are always 5 years out of date.  And that would lead to the practical economic reason why I'm now buying my fabric online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FredPie
« Reply #311 on: May 04, 2007 06:30:26 PM »

A few months after the rumors started flying here about WM and fabric, our locally-owned quilting store announced its closure.  Ummm??  I don't like driving 45 miles (at least it's Only That Far!) to browse fabric and other sewing stuff.  I can't claim that I spend thousands of dollars on fabrics, although I did just make new sheers for 2 rooms at around $150/room, which was a chunk of change to me.  The strange thing is that WM's fabric selection got really crappy and thin then they started getting more fabric in again, AFTER they shrunk the department.  This means that it's all dumped on tables and hard to get to, even if you wanted it.  The notions are nearly nonexistent, and the yarn hasn't been restocked in ages.  They are not having any clearance sales, though.  Sad   I can't figure them out: can't find snaps or animal noses (had to fix my son's stuffed cat), and even the buttons are a very wimpy selection.  I thought they were expanding the scrapbooking stuff, but apparently they merely spread it out, because the last time I wandered through there, half of it was on clearance and there were a lot of empty pegs. 
We DID just get a new yarn store, though!  I have yet to check that out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would love to swap, but must admit I'm a little flakey!
bcgrote

Why doesn't evolution work with embroidery kits?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: September 20, 2007 07:14:02 AM »

At least Ikea seems to be picking up the slack.  They have come out with some pretty nice prints, and the fabric is usually cotton, linen, synth, or a blend of any or all of these!  And when on sale, it can be had to $1 a yard!

Also, I found a neat pillow cover or case that, with 1 long snip, a fold and a stitching, I could make a neato skirt!  For $5, in a color and print I adore!

We in the larger cities ARE lucky.  Here in LA we have an awesome fabric district and some good choices for fabric with only about a 30 minute drive, which in LA is practically next door!  I drive to the next county over to go to Beverly's as often as not, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If your site doesn't support Firefox, Firefox users won't support your site!
IamSusie
« Reply #313 on: September 20, 2007 07:39:20 AM »

This thread had been quiet for awhile so I figured the fabric was staying.  It sure looks like our fabric is safe at my store.  I can't say the same about the embroidery floss.  It all sold out after clearancing last week at 10 cents/ skein.

Hobby Lobby halved their fabric department at my location.  It's not at all worth going there now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #314 on: September 20, 2007 07:47:19 AM »

Ours is staying for now, because our wal-mart supplies the Amish with a lot of fabric.  The woman in our department told me it will be shrinking to make way for the celebration center, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
chrissiemags
Chrissie's Custom Creations

Is there such a thing as too much fabric or ribbon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #315 on: September 20, 2007 07:59:45 AM »

Has anyone else received a mailer (post card style) from Jo-Anns that boasts soon you won't be able to buy fabric at Wal-Mart but thankfully they have so much it's even in their name with coupons attached?  I received this in the mail last week and was kind of surprised at the statement LOL Good coupons though 1 50% off 1 item and 20% entire purchase Whoo Hoo  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chrissie's Custom Creations
~Offering Laser Cut Scrapbook Embellishments~ Trendy & Classic Hair Accessories~ Cute as Can be Bottle Cap Images~Bottle Cap Jewelry
LaughingLark
« Reply #316 on: September 20, 2007 08:40:27 AM »

I haven't gotten that, and I signed up for their mailing list.  But I think our fabric department, such as it is, will be around for a while because of the Amish and Mennonite communities here. If they lost the Walmart fabric, they'd have to get rides to Joplin to buy fabric, and that would suck. They are Old Order, and only drive horse and buggy. Thye don't use the internet, either, so they can't buy online.

There are a lot less craft supplies in general, and less fashion fabric. They are focused on the stuff that Amish use to make their clothing and quilts, and they have a lot more "Celebration" crap. I don't see that doing well here. It really sucks that I can only buy felt in primary colors now. No more hot pinks or lime greens.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittycitycrafter

The Clarks www.clarksonline.com

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 20, 2007 07:59:25 PM »

Ours is staying (for now) according to the woman that is usually working at the section.  I have noticed that the selection is not as good as it was before. We will probably end up with a celebration center too. Yippee (in sarcastic voice)  Tongue

Seriously, I'm happy for the people that don't have a choice, but I will probably make most of my purchases at Jo-ann's etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If I had a magic charm
It would protect you from all harm
There'd be no sirens to alarm
We could stay here every day
And if I were a super hero
Good guys all the villains zero
I'd save you from all that is evil
So you can sleep at night"

by the Clarks
Report Abuse:
1-800-4-A-CHILD
momwith3kids
HOMESChOOL

Hey y'all

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: September 21, 2007 06:31:15 PM »

Way back when, ours said it was to go out in spring.  Well, I believe that season has come and gone.  We are still getting in new fabric and supplies everyday.  I'm glad too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing machine is like my left hand.... I can't write with it, but I NEED it none the less.

see ya'll on the flip side

My Etsy Shop
http://momwith3kids.etsy.com

My Homeschool Blog
http://homeschoolblogger.com/momwith3kids
panda
« Reply #319 on: February 03, 2008 05:03:49 PM »

I have 3 Wal-marts within 5 miles of my house and 2 have already gotten rid of the fabric dept.   There is not fabric store near me any longer...I have to drive 30 min. to hour to get to one.   Wal-mart has great thing going with fabric if they would keep someone in the dept....to work it.    Cry  Cry  Cry   When they did have it you could never find anyone or they were working another depart.  Sad to see it go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 53 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sunglasses Designer Kerin Rose Interview
How to Bet at the Horse Races
Learn About the Art of Glass Blowing
How to Make Money as a Stand Up Artists
Women in Comedy
Latest Blog Articles
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags
Whatz Up, My Peeps?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...