A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 53
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is Walmart getting rid of fabric??  (Read 56006 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lylyfai

Multi-Crafter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2006 06:22:22 PM »

The closest I would have to travel is 30 mins. away.

You're lucky, to get to ANY sort of fabric I will have to drive 92 miles.

some lucky person.. in the middle of no where im sure will be the one with the lone walmart carrying fabric!

Nope, apparently they are shafting those of us in the middle of nowhere. People drive from Kansas and Texas middle-of-nowheres to us because we have the only Wal-mart for 92 miles. When I was in the Fabric department two days ago there was a woman from 26 miles away and I thought that was horrible. Then my the fabric cutting gal, Linda, dropped the bomb that our tiny middle of nowhere will be one of those losing the fabric and gaining the celebration....bleh! I celebrate just about everything by buying fabric!!!!! Someone gets married...tulle for favors (oh wait, they would rather us buy the more expensive pre-made ones so that we will all be the same, birthdays...fabric for a purse or a bbq cover (seriously did that)... nope go buy one in our huge purse department so you can have the same one that everyone else in town has, and who needs a custom bbq cover??? Parties....I always make new table covers. I could probably use a different tablecloth every week! No...just go buy the off-the-rack ones we sell.

And if one more smarmy person tells me "that's why I boycott Wal-Mart" I will scream. Obviously you have a choice!! We only have one other grocery store and it charges 3x the price. I guess if you have the money that's fine. If you can afford the time and gas to drive 90+ miles every week or so to get fabric...more power too you and gee aren't you swell. Not all of us have that option.

Help us unfortunates out. Call 1-800-Walmart and tell them that phasing out the fabric is a bad choice. You don't have to threaten, just tell them. Imagine if you lived 92 miles from any fabric shopping. Pretend just for a minute. Would you want me to call? I think you would.

The first thing I said to my husband (while crying I might add lol) after I told him that they were closing it down, was that there was no way my beloved Craftsters would let me down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

145 dependents and counting=
139 dolls, 3 cats, 1 lost Hubby & Roland!
Preppin' for Ro's 3rd Bday- theme=Helicoptors!
http://www.adoptionsbygladney.com (Thank you!)
lieslree
« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2006 06:24:09 PM »

Am I the only one who hates walmart? ....  Embarrassed

I used to buy fabric there and all kinds of other stuff but I can no longer justify supporting that corporation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.  -Wilde

My Etsy Shop
olivecraftable
« Reply #122 on: December 31, 2006 07:42:18 AM »

I did hear in one my college classes that Wal-Mart finds the fabric division one of the most difficult to manage (because of the tons of small items that do not have consistent sales).  So in a way I could see them phasing the department out, but I still think that its here to stay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you love free craft project visit my site: www.Craftable.net for everything...Crafty!
smashergrl
Doing what you like is Freedom. Liking what you do is Happiness.

Procrastination: art of keeping up with last week

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: December 31, 2006 08:22:59 AM »

I was at WalMart this past Friday, and I asked the lady working in the craft area if this was true.  She said they planned to get rid of the fabrics by March, due to lack of sales.  (I'm in Western NY)

Be sure to call 1-800-walmart to complain about it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PunkFlamingo

LiFe Is ShOrT BuT sO aM i

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2006 09:24:10 AM »

What i don't understand is that there are so many who still shop there, knowing how they exploit their employees and contribute to poverty. I agree with lieslree. Maybe there was a choice of various stores and small businesses at some point in rural areas, but the reason there is only walmart in some areas is because walmart squashed them all. Online ordering is cheap enough these days that if there were no fabric stores in my area, that's what i'd do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amy214
« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2006 12:56:35 PM »

I don't have time to read the entire thread, just wanted to relay what I heard. The lady who works in the fabric section at my Walmart said they will be phasing it out and it will be gone by the end of March, but that they will still be selling notions. She said they will not be restocking anymore just getting rid of the inventory they already have.

I don't know why they think this is a good idea. Crafts is just about the only thing I buy at Walmart. I definitely don't buy clothes or food there, and as far as Housewares goes Target is far superior. Well now all I have to go to Walmart for is Shampoo and Toothpaste, but I doubt I'll drive all that way anymore, the crafts section was what always got me in there.

It makes me want to open a fabric store in my area.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006 01:07:46 PM by Amy214 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
snowyangel
« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2006 01:00:35 PM »

So if all the walmarts are getting rid of their fabrics, does that mean a BIG fabric sale?  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funky hand bags, pillows, cat toys and more UNDER $25...
www.snowyangel.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/snowyangel2000
kahluakiggy
Tirelessly working to raise the next generation of Craftsters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2006 03:10:36 PM »

Except that you have to order a certain $ amount to get free shipping online, you can't feel the fabric before you buy, and you have to wait a week to get it unless you pay extra for shipping, which not everyone can afford.  Yes, WalMart sucks, yes they treat their employees horribly, but you have to remember that if there aren't any fabric stores in your area, there probably aren't a lot of other stores either.  Which means that you're probably making less money because you're working at WalMart, or in fast food.  And if you're trying to raise kids on $6.75 an hour, you're probably not going to be willing to pay extra for fabric (or groceries, shampoo, and other necessities) for political reasons.  That's how it is in my area, anyway.  I would love to say "F*@& Walmart!"  But my closest alternative (Target) is an hour away, as opposed to five minutes.
Grin Grin Grin  I'm not trying to be rude to either of you, I'm just letting you know how it is in Podunk Maine.  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What doesn't kill you makes you stranger. --The Joker

After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- Albus Dumbledore

Sokka: My first girlfriend turned into the moon.
Zuko: Thats rough, buddy.
MHLivin
« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2006 03:17:58 PM »

I agree with the situation.. CRAPY!! Thats the fabric house for the next 120 miles for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
m*babylon

you can't get there from here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2006 06:19:21 PM »

...What i don't understand is that there are so many who still shop there...

...Maybe there was a choice of various stores and small businesses at some point in rural areas, but the reason there is only walmart in some areas is because walmart squashed them all...

that's the point, there isn't any place else to shop.  and part of the problem in living in a very rural area is that shipping can take days longer and cost a good deal more. 

besides, for most of the rural-living folks, we aren't just talking fabric.  you can't realistically grocery-shop online for rural delivery of fresh foods, or anything other staples you need to buy on a regular basis.

just saying...
a* 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just a city boy, born & raised in south detroit
he took the midnight train going anywhere...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 53 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit an iPod Cover
How to Make a Tissue Paper Shamrock
Color Coordinate Your Stamp Projects
Clean Your Stamps
Stamp Basics
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...