A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 53
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is Walmart getting rid of fabric??  (Read 55267 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: January 08, 2007 09:57:03 AM »

they would.......they are an evil mega-corporation and the government doesnt care that they violate nearly all the anti-trust laws........i am so glad i dont live in a rural area....if I did I would rather hunt and farm than go to walmart. I barely go there now. I just go now to get all the fabric I can before it is gone....

I hear all these horror stories, but none of them pan out when you talk to an employee. Mom tells me all the bad stuff (a bit of nepotism got her a real moron for a boss) but she's really happy there. Wal-mart is proof that capitalism works. Which is why they are reviled. But this isn't the place.

Like I said, call their number and complain if you don't like it. I've called, and so has all of my family. Even those that don't shop for fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
smashergrl
Doing what you like is Freedom. Liking what you do is Happiness.

Procrastination: art of keeping up with last week

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: January 08, 2007 11:39:14 AM »

I got frustrated trying to get through the menu of 1800walmart, so I decided to email them. 

My original message:
Keep the full service fabric desk!!  I spend a lot of money in the Craft department at Wal-Mart and it is the only store that has quality fabric at reasonable prices!!

Here is the response:

Thank you for your message.

Thank you for you recent inquiry regarding the fabric department in your local store.  In keeping with our emphasis on being a store of the community, Wal-Mart is converting the fabrics and crafts department in some stores to a newly expanded assortment of merchandise that focuses on life's celebrations.  We are thrilled to offer our customers this exciting new crafts and celebrations center that makes available craft and party planning needs along with information on current trends and new ideas in the area of life's celebrations, such as holidays, weddings and birthdays.

In those stores where the new crafts and celebrations center is placed, merchandise commonly referred to as 'notions' will be included in the product offerings - such as sewing machines, yarn, needles, thread, etc.  As a part of this conversion, most of our new and remodeled stores opening in early 2007, as well as a small number of existing stores, will feature the new crafts and celebrations center in place of cut fabrics.  Wal-Mart will continue to carry cut fabric in most of our stores.  Due to the continued evaluation of our stores, we are unable to share a list of existing stores scheduled to receive the new crafts and celebrations center at this time.

Thank you,
Wal-Mart Customer Relations
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zippecar
« Reply #142 on: January 08, 2007 02:21:13 PM »

My grandma works in the fabric department in one of our local Wal-Marts, and she told me a few weeks ago that the cut fabric would be fazed out in the new year. I have to admit, with no more than I've been finding in the department in the last couple of years, I won't really miss it. Even the selection of VIP fabric has really become iffy. That being said, I don't want a bunch of pre done junk from a "celebration" department either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please spay or neuter your pet!!!!
BrightEyes_PR
« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2007 04:59:51 PM »

LOL Smiley!  I've been sick and didn't see your post.  I live in Virginia.  I'm really shocked at the fabric, beading, quilting and yarn stores that have popped up in this area.  At least I'll have some where to go if all WalMart's phase out the section.  The only thing about coming here to visit is that there is nothing else to keep your interest LOL Smiley!

Hon, ANY shopping ANY where is a good time.  Hope u feel better!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for my 360 theme!!  http://my360theme.com/theme_detail.php?id=219

I never have an idle day,
New ideas come my way.
Don't know yet what I'll create,
But my imagination's great!
KatAutumn
Knitty Hippie

Princess of Mod Podge

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2007 09:44:02 PM »

I don't mean to sound crass, but exactly what in the hell is a "life celebrations center" supposed to be?  I mean, does "craft department" sound too..."old lady"? 

We still have a fabric department in our old Wal-Mart, but at my Aunt's Wal-Mart they have already cut all of their fabrics into fat quarters and are selling bundles of them for $1.  I keep telling myself I need to get my arse over there and get in on some of that action...before I have to start driving to JoAnn every time I need some sort of cotton knit.   Angry

And that's total bull crap about the yarn.  My old Wal-Mart has a huge yarn selection that I noticed recently they aren't re-stocking as frequently as they used to and the new Wal-Mart has maybe three colors of Bernat Softee Chunkee, absolutely no Lion Brand and about ten colors of Red Heart Super Saver. Their beads and jewelry findings selection is pitiful.  But by gosh, they sure have a ton of scrapbooking and wedding supplies!  I guess that's what the new "Life Celebrations Center" will be about - lots of white lace, plastic tiaras and "It's a Boy!" stickers.  Not that anything is wrong with those items, but geez - give us a fair selection!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007 09:48:04 PM by KatAutumn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Artsy Fartsy LJ:
The Krafting Kat
suganspyyce
« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2007 12:33:57 AM »

I was about to post a thread about this.  I am so disappointed that they will no longer be carrying fabric.  I love to craft and hancock is just too expensive for me, being a mother.  I thought when i saw the 25% off signs that they were just getting ready for a new stock.  Then it went to 50% off so I decided to ask.  The other part of the craft section is pitiful in our wal mart and I live in Arkansas, close to the main office.  You'd think it would be a good selection here but it seems to be the same all over.  Walmart is trying to appeal to a different crowd of people and go more upscale from what I have heard and read on our news stations and papers.  Their advertisement has changed, as they will not even have that smiley face anymore.  If Sam Walton could see what they are doing to his empire, I'm sure he would be disappointed.  Maybe they will realize that their celebrations and whatever wont be as sucessful as the fabric and will urge them to bring it back in the stores they are doing away with their fabric department. 

edited to say that i think they are getting rid of other parts of the store too, i have not asked about this yet tho,  I noticed that nearly the entire section of clothing was on clearance also
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007 12:37:40 AM by suganspyyce » THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2007 06:00:24 AM »

I was at Walmart last night to talk with my favorite fabric lady.  She said that they were told ALL stores are going to be getting rid of fabric.  She has been calling all the schools in our area to let the teachers know.  Some of the teachers she has spoken with are getting with the newspapers to try and get the message out that we need to protest to Walmart about this.  So, everybody be sure and get the word out to all your local schools.  Around here, they had already started to get away from traditional "Home Ec." type classes.  Now if there is no longer a source for inexpensive fabric, they may eliminate that part of the class completely. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
LadyCregga
keeper of the castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2007 06:40:15 AM »

What I thought was messed up was when they remodled the super store in the town next to me they nearly tripled the amount of fabric they have.
When they remodled ours last summer we have maybe a quarter of what we used to.
It really sucks too, the selection and the service now.
I rarely go there anymore, only to get dog food.
I have been going 30 miles to the nearest Joann's to get my fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! -- What a Ride! -- Anonymous
seamonkeychik
LOOK OUT!

OoOo What I could do with this!

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 09, 2007 07:01:12 AM »

Lately the ladies at Joann's recognize me when I come in. They are more than willing to suggest things, answer any of my questions, make recommendations about products (even direct me in the range of cheaper!!). The last visit I was at the cutting counter and the lady said to me "what are you doing with all this style fabric? Didn't you just get some last week sometime??" So I can go into my local Joann's and feel at home. Which should be the way my local Walmart should be, Walmart used to be that way, they used to care!
Lately the service at Walmart stinks, their attitude towards helping you at the cutting counter is just unreal, there are NO smiling faces even though we still have the smiles on things around the store and the craft section is slowly being overrun with wedding crap! Not that I do not enjoy things such as that either BUT, I already got married. I can only find soooo many uses for wedding supplies and scrapbook items galore. IDK and I literrally had to CHASE down an employee one night in Walmart (because I was looking for mothballs and was tired of walking UP AND DOWN every isle) the guy kept ignoring me!!! Then when I got his attention it was like it was BEYOND him to help me! Sad what walmart is turning into. I have signed the petition and I started a letter to send via the mail...I don't want to call and sit on hold to end up speaking with a LACKOFcustomerservice rep but I am not sure what I can do to voice how I feel about this. Doesn't seem like it matters though, sadly.
Thanks for letting me rant about the local Walmart that used to be my source for all my crafting needs...now it's my LAST resort!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neophyte282
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2007 08:24:13 AM »

I've been thinking about this and I'm happier to spend a bit more money somewhere else. Wal-Mart has really changed the marketplace and I don't like supporting them very much.

When it comes to people who rely on Wal-Mart because other options aren't available, I feel ya.

Come to think of it, this is opening up a chance for other fabric and craft/hobby retailers to offer a better selection, price and item wise.

I'm interested to see what company is going to bring their company into these cities that Wal-Mart has taken fabric and craft/hobby materials from.

This could be a good thing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 53 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Back-to-School Fashions Look Like 80s Flashback
4 Perfect Hairstyles For The New School Year
Back to School Fashions for 2013
8 Top Back-to-School Fashion Looks
Dress Your Baby Like Prince George
Latest Blog Articles
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...