A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,715
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 53
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is Walmart getting rid of fabric??  (Read 56976 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

momwith3kids
HOMESChOOL

Hey y'all

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: January 01, 2007 03:14:26 PM »

It makes me want to open a fabric store in my area.

My  DH suggested that one to me.  I am seriously thinking about it.  All the ladies I have talked to at WM don't want to drive into the big city of Knoxville, even the ladies who work at walmart.  It would have to be a discounted fabric store though, I wouldn't pay that much for fabric and I wouldn't expect anyone else to either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing machine is like my left hand.... I can't write with it, but I NEED it none the less.

see ya'll on the flip side

My Etsy Shop
http://momwith3kids.etsy.com

My Homeschool Blog
http://homeschoolblogger.com/momwith3kids
mmd32
« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2007 02:33:17 AM »

It makes me want to open a fabric store in my area.

My  DH suggested that one to me.  I am seriously thinking about it.  All the ladies I have talked to at WM don't want to drive into the big city of Knoxville, even the ladies who work at walmart.  It would have to be a discounted fabric store though, I wouldn't pay that much for fabric and I wouldn't expect anyone else to either.

I know somebody who did that, opened an online fabric store. I think she sells reasonably priced, though I don't know for sure, because she did it after I moved overseas, which meant I never ordered from her. But I know she sells NICE fabrics, and she is really popular, so I think she is doing okay. You might have actually heard of her: http://www.sewzannes.com (Of course, you could already be somebody from over at Sewingmamas already, lol, and know all about this!! Grin )

If you can work it, and get offcuts, and stuff like that, and you are the only fabric place in town, I would imagine you would do okay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seamonkeychik
LOOK OUT!

OoOo What I could do with this!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 02, 2007 07:41:34 AM »

I found a petition not sure if anyone is interested in signing
http://www.petitiononline.com/savefab/petition.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShiningStar
« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2007 08:45:30 AM »

Wow, I'm really surprised.  The WalMarts in my area seem to be expanding their sewing/fabric area.  I live in an area where there are Joanns, Hancocks, Michaels and Ben Franklin plus small independantly owned stores.  I had no idea they were reducing/getting rid of the sewing/craft department in some stores.

I agree that sometimes it's the employees that make you not want to shop in certain places.

Child WHERE do you live? 

EVERYONE!!     Trip to visit ShiningStar!!!

LOL Smiley!  I've been sick and didn't see your post.  I live in Virginia.  I'm really shocked at the fabric, beading, quilting and yarn stores that have popped up in this area.  At least I'll have some where to go if all WalMart's phase out the section.  The only thing about coming here to visit is that there is nothing else to keep your interest LOL Smiley!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are  --John Wooden
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #134 on: January 02, 2007 10:09:01 AM »

I found a petition not sure if anyone is interested in signing
http://www.petitiononline.com/savefab/petition.html

Well I went and signed the petition, despite the vaguely sexist part of it... "Is it possible that Wal-Mart is discriminating against women? Perhaps. I havent heard of any plans to close the sporting goods department or the exercise equipment department.".... (it was my knowledge that it's often women who are actually behind the buying of most exercise equipment).

But I still agree with "the cause" Wink And I plan to give the Walmart 1-800 number a call, and continue to encourage everyone else to do the same!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kayla_Wte

Time to put yer big-girl panties on!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: January 02, 2007 04:10:49 PM »

I don't shop at Walmart usually, but for those of you with nothing but a Walmart in the vincinity, I feel for ya!  Maybe you could open a sewing store???  It'd be a great way to keep fabric around and you KNOW there would be a demand without Walfart (sorry...my DH's name, not mine).

K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog - Plied:
http://kaylaunicorn.blogspot.com

My Etsy:
http://plied.etsy.com

I sell and trade my handspun on Ravelry.  Username KaylaWte.  Add me!!!
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2007 09:42:18 PM »

I  signed adn  signed  for  my hubby too!    and  forwarded it on to  others....yeah I  thought hte  discrimenating against  women part  was  pretty  silly to.....

imagine teh  loss they  would  take  from teh  amish communities taht use that department. I can't  thinkof  one  time I have NOT seen 4-8 amish/quaker/menonite   folks in teh  walmarts  in kentucky tennessee or  georgia.   shoot  even  oklahoma and texas (ok not so many there)  but  that  would be  a hard  hit for them too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
xcrotchrot77
« Reply #137 on: January 07, 2007 07:54:03 AM »

Maybe you could open a sewing store???
Well, that would be a good idea if it weren't nearly impossible. As the other people were saying, if Walmart's crushed every other store, etc, in the area and people are living on 6.75 an hour, how the hell could they afford to open a store?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2007 12:26:44 AM »

Everyone call the customer service line. Bitch and moan.

Mom works there and confirmed they are closing ours fabric section in Wilkesboro NC.

And I'd like to mention that if wal mart is killing their fabric section, then how pray tell would they crush a new fabric store opening up?  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
PirateKisses

Love shines in her eyes.....

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2007 07:36:37 AM »

they would.......they are an evil mega-corporation and the government doesnt care that they violate nearly all the anti-trust laws........i am so glad i dont live in a rural area....if I did I would rather hunt and farm than go to walmart. I barely go there now. I just go now to get all the fabric I can before it is gone....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM GETTING MARRIED ON AUGUST 13TH!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 53 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Ask for the Style You Want at the Salon
How to Create a Classic Updo
How to Create a Fauxhawk
How to Create a Funky and Retro Updo
How to Create a Formal Updo
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...