A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any ideas for decorating "Our First Christmas" ornament?  (Read 4240 times)
Tags for this thread: ornament  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

burstandbloom
« on: November 14, 2006 11:09:12 AM »

okay...so i'm making an ornament for my boyfriend and me for "our first christmas" and i found this really cool plain clear glass one that opens up (as you can see below)...but i don't know how to decorate it!! painting is pretty much out of the question because i'm TERRIBLE at it. also...my mom said i should etch the glass. but i have no clue how to do that...and i'm pretty low on cash.

any ideas would be sooo greatly appreciated!

here's what the ornament looks like.
closed:

open:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006 03:27:05 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps!
Pinkaholic

I <3 shiny things

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006 11:38:41 AM »

Maybe you could fill it to the top with red and green beads  Undecided or tissue paper? Im useless haha but i just wanted to say that that ornament is really cool!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love me for who I am
burstandbloom
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006 11:54:12 AM »

Maybe you could fill it to the top with red and green beads  Undecided or tissue paper? Im useless haha but i just wanted to say that that ornament is really cool!!!

well the thing about filling it is that i bought it so i could like put a little note inside..telling about our first christmas so we could always remember and stuff. so...while your ideas are really good (i have some other plain clear ornament that i might put beads in!)...i need some decoration for the outside. thanks for your help though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps!
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006 12:39:58 PM »

Well glass etching is easy as pie, but you need the "glass etcher" first. And that is pretty pricey (but a bottle lasts a long time).

Last year I made ornaments with bases that looked like that (but didn't open! That's neat), and I had it all etched except for some snowflakes that weren't (I made a sticky-paper stencil to make sure the etcher didn't get in), and added some little silver "rhinestones" to the tips and glittery white-ish paint (in a bottle with a tip, which made it easy!), and used a sheer white ribbon as the hanger. (I just had all of this stuff hanging around, so the only thing I bought was the ornaments themselves).

You could maybe do something like this but add names... years... etc?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quikroxy85
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006 12:46:38 PM »

I know this is supposed to be at encouraging the OP to craft, but since she said she was low on cash...
An idea:

Go to an ornament place that will etch it for you. It shouldn't be more than a couple dollars to get a couple words and the year put on it...

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

burstandbloom
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006 01:39:40 PM »

Well glass etching is easy as pie, but you need the "glass etcher" first. And that is pretty pricey (but a bottle lasts a long time).

Last year I made ornaments with bases that looked like that (but didn't open! That's neat), and I had it all etched except for some snowflakes that weren't (I made a sticky-paper stencil to make sure the etcher didn't get in), and added some little silver "rhinestones" to the tips and glittery white-ish paint (in a bottle with a tip, which made it easy!), and used a sheer white ribbon as the hanger. (I just had all of this stuff hanging around, so the only thing I bought was the ornaments themselves).

You could maybe do something like this but add names... years... etc?

any chance you have pictures of those ornament? i could probably do the sticky paper stencil thing. because then painting skills arent' really required as long as i can stay in the lines haha. any chance you could tell me about glass etching? if youdont want to, it's ok..i'm sure i can find something on here that would tell me how to do it. but yah... my mom might have some stuff for it...that's why i ask.

but the stencil thing seems like a good idea.

and to quikroxy...i did actually consider taking it someplace and having it done...but i just couldn't do it. it's such a personal gift and i'd just much rather try to do something myself. if all else fails...i may end up having to do that though
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps!
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006 01:59:14 PM »

any chance you have pictures of those ornament? i could probably do the sticky paper stencil thing. because then painting skills arent' really required as long as i can stay in the lines haha. any chance you could tell me about glass etching? if youdont want to, it's ok..i'm sure i can find something on here that would tell me how to do it. but yah... my mom might have some stuff for it...that's why i ask.

Hm.. I think I still have one. Although it is probably the crappiest one (I gave most of them away). I'll take a picture tomorrow, because my camera won't do close-ups when it's dark...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

burstandbloom
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006 02:41:28 PM »

Hm.. I think I still have one. Although it is probably the crappiest one (I gave most of them away). I'll take a picture tomorrow, because my camera won't do close-ups when it's dark...

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps!
caradee
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006 07:42:43 AM »

You know, I wouldn't decorate the outside.... I would make it like a time-capsule to commemorate your first christmas.  Think of things that are very 2006 or things that remind you of stuff that happened to you two this year, and the ornament's beauty will be seeing all the great stuff inside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewing. felting. dyeing. hot glue bandit.
burstandbloom
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006 10:03:25 AM »

You know, I wouldn't decorate the outside.... I would make it like a time-capsule to commemorate your first christmas.  Think of things that are very 2006 or things that remind you of stuff that happened to you two this year, and the ornament's beauty will be seeing all the great stuff inside.

well yah..that's what i was sort of gonna do by putting a letter inside and that told about our year and our first christmas and stuff. BUT..if i could find enough small things to put inside...that would be reaaaally cool! and i could just like put the date on the outside or something. yah..that'd be neat. thanks for the great idea!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare Ham Boiled in Cider Roasted with Cloves and Honey
How to Mix Halloween Pumpkin Punch
How to Bake Pumpkin Bread
How to Marinade Spicy Vampire Batwings
How to Make Yummy Cheese Balls
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...