A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,145
Currently Running With Scissors:
435 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you go from Shampoo to using soap?  (Read 1503 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kythcat
« on: December 06, 2011 12:03:57 PM »

I know it's a funny thing to ask, but I've been having problems lately.  I've made some liquid soap that I wanted to use, but the first time I put it in my hair, I ended up with a greasy, waxy ball of gunk on the back of my head.  I'm pretty sure this "ball" is just the crap from the commercial stuff that's trying to get out of my hair, but it looks horrible when I need to go out and about. 

Been looking for someone or something to help with that, and so far all I found was this from Dr. Bonner's ( http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/SD0701/CitrusConditioningHairRinse.htm ).  Or is there something more simpler to use? 

Basically, what I'm asking is what did you use to make the transition?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011 01:56:42 PM »

I can totally relate! I started using Dr. Bronners myself, and have similar issues. So far the best I've figured is to only use it every other time, and to rinse with a solution of vinegar to water at about 1:3 parts. (I use apple cider vinegar, I couldn't tell you if plain white kitchen vinegar will work as well). I leave the acv on and then rinse it out just like you would with normal conditioner. Oh, and I don't use any other conditioner when I do the Bronners/vinegar rinse. Every other time or so I use a regular shampoo, but have been transitioning away from sls-based formulas to baby shampoo or anything listed as "mild" ... I am gradually trying to use the baby shampoo and Bronners more often, but if I notice my hair getting especially greasy before the next wash (usually 2-4 days apart) I'll use a stronger shampoo with actual detergent. It kills me to do, but I can't stand the gummy feeling of built-up product that didn't get thoroughly washed out. Oh, and I occasionally add in some baking soda and scrub with it. Just be careful if you have hard water as this can dry your hair out if you use it too much, at least that's been my experience. Hope this helps!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
I'm still so far away from
WeLoveSoap
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012 07:51:42 AM »

I use my own solid shampoo bars, and while it definitely makes my hair feel different than a regular shampoo (i.e. my hair has a lot more body after using the shampoo bar), I'm not sure I've experienced quite what you describe...

I like to use mayo (homemade or from the store works) as a conditioner. Vinegar (or beer!) is a great rinse, and adds shine, but for me it doesn't restore the lost oils from shampooing -- I have naturally dry, wavy hair, though, so YMMV.

What kind of hair do you have, and what are you going for?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012 09:45:33 PM »

Interesting! I too have only used handmade shampoo bar and never experienced that problem. Do you use a lot of hair products?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
kythcat
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012 08:44:44 AM »

I don't ususally use anything but shampoo and conditioner.  And I have thick, natural wavy hair.  Since I was a baby, I've always had a problem with "greasy buildup" and my mother always made me use vinegar when I was a child.  Since I moved out to a dryer climate, didn't need to use vinegar at all, and only conditioner once in a while (like maybe 2x a month).

What I'm going for is to be able to use what I make, not have to go buy it in the store.

I do keep hearing about those shampoo bars.  Haven't tried one yet.  Can't even imagine how to use one except rubbing it on my hair like one would rub a bar on a washcloth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WeLoveSoap
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012 07:02:49 PM »

Haha! I rub mine on my hands and then through my hair (shampoo bars are usually made to be extra sudsy). But my husband rubs his directly on his head!

And if you know how to make cold process soap, shampoo bars are just a subtype! (I'll warn you, though, if you've never made cold process soap before -- it's addicting!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012 02:56:04 PM »

This might be over-simplistic, but do you apply the soap to the top of your head only? If you were using traditional shampoos before, you may have gotten accustomed to the fact that they suds a TON and tend to get all over your scalp with little help needed from you to distribute it. You might have to apply the soap directly to the back of your head as well as wherever else. Like a second dose of it. The thing is that without surfactants (suds) the soap itself has a hard time traveling past it's initial point of contact to pick up the oils in all the places you want it to.

I realized this through trial and error  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
I'm still so far away from
Lisa Maliga
Author

Buy it today...make suds tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012 11:20:58 AM »

Shampoo bars can work for most hair types. But there are a variety of shampoo bars available. Also, it depends on whether you have hard water or soft water. There are so many variables. An apple cider vinegar rinse may help, so can a rinse made with white vinegar, rice vinegar or even wine vinegar.

If you want more info on shampoo bars, here's a link to a 500-page discussion on the topic! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=74

Hope this helps!
All the best,
Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lisa Maliga is the author of several novels. Her nonfiction titles include: The Joy of Melt and Pour Soap Crafting, Squirrels in the Hood, Monoi de Tahiti: Spa in a Bottle, Nuts About Shea Butter and 12 Easy Melt and Pour Soap Recipes. She is working on more B&B books.
kythcat
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012 03:11:27 PM »

Thank you Lisa- planning on diving into that one here shortly.  I did make the bars, and liked the way it turned out, but had a problem with getting it on my hair.  I've been having some medical problems that make it hard for me to use a bar on my head ( and I refuse to ask for help from anyone yet).  I did some playing with a shampoo bar recipe, and was able to turn it into a decent liquid shampoo soap.  I use KOH instead of lye, and recalculated the recipe for that fact.  Even the kids like it. The one thing we all have to remember is we have to use conditioner or ACV after using it, or the hair will have issues.  I don't want to go into the issues.

If anyone is interested, I can post my recipe and a pic.  I guess the whole thing has been an adventure for us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lisa Maliga
Author

Buy it today...make suds tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012 09:07:29 AM »

Hello Kythcat,

Glad to read that you made the shampoo bars.
Thank you Lisa- planning on diving into that one here shortly.  I did make the bars, and liked the way it turned out, but had a problem with getting it on my hair.  I've been having some medical problems that make it hard for me to use a bar on my head ( and I refuse to ask for help from anyone yet).  I did some playing with a shampoo bar recipe, and was able to turn it into a decent liquid shampoo soap.  I use KOH instead of lye, and recalculated the recipe for that fact.  Even the kids like it. The one thing we all have to remember is we have to use conditioner or ACV after using it, or the hair will have issues.  I don't want to go into the issues.

If anyone is interested, I can post my recipe and a pic.  I guess the whole thing has been an adventure for us.

Yes, the issues with not using conditioner and/or ACV vary greatly! What I've learned from using shampoo bars is that those in the same family using the same shampoo can have different results. Personally, I've used them in hard water and soft water and have seen a difference in how they work. Shampoo bars and the results personify those initials YMMV. Your Mileage May Vary.

Sure, post your picture and recipe!

Meanwhile, Happy Soaping!  Smiley

All the best,
Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lisa Maliga is the author of several novels. Her nonfiction titles include: The Joy of Melt and Pour Soap Crafting, Squirrels in the Hood, Monoi de Tahiti: Spa in a Bottle, Nuts About Shea Butter and 12 Easy Melt and Pour Soap Recipes. She is working on more B&B books.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Go Past your Photographic Limits
How to Choose Images from a Shoot
How to Create a Story through a Portrait
How to Create an Abstract Background
How to Create Formal Symmetry
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...