A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 303,140
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Giving Up On Buying Clothes  (Read 5245 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2004 10:26:07 AM »

I have a saying..."Size tags are just labels." (Double meaning, ain't I the cheezy one?! Cheesy)There is so much variance on sizes between companies and the child labor they use, that sometimes you see a size, size  and a half difference. If you're comfortable and you feel you look good, who cares what size the tag says - no one's going to look at you while you're wearing them and say"OH MY GOD!!!! ARE THOSE GAP JEANS SIZE LARGE?!" *laughs*
don't give me anythign sharp

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2004 01:10:46 PM »

i just wanted to add about that whole size thing?

when i hit puberty around age 12, i went from a girl's seven, to a womens 12/14 depnding, and constantly was upset because none of the other girls my age looked "chubby" like me, they were these DAMN 0's...

but fast foward to now, i am around a 10 ladies, 11 juniors depending on the cut. i have a average wasit, average hips, my fricken saddlebags so my wasit is an 8, my hips around a 8/10 but my dumb thighs a 12 or 14, so it makes it hard to find pants that fit. plus, since God made me short (5 3) the average size pants drag on the ground. fun fun fun, but strecth denim and stretch courderoy are my favs.

anyway, to get on, i think that gals these days have a severe body image problem... this girl at work (recently 21) she told me (after i incorrectly guessed her size as "no more than a 10") that she would die if she was ever double digits.  Roll Eyes gee, and what does that make me? a suicide victim waiting to happen?

honestly, clothing stores forced me to start making my own clothes... i think we should just go over to other countries... have the size fo the pants, not in vague numbers, but a real measurement like guys pants....

that's just my two cents

pessimism: because i'd rather be pleasently surprised than horribly disapointed

cant help myself

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2004 09:42:04 PM »

i wish i had your problems i am size 18/20 and dresses are just not an option for me ...just basically becasue of my thighs...i have a large booty and thighs...my stomach is on the big side but hiding is out of the question...ive tried making clothes for me..i made a pair of pants..almost a year old..fabric just seems so expensive, and well becaue i am not very knowladgable of sewing ..i usually guess  on everything i do when i sew...so i can make any pretty clothes...how about we all just go around naked....... Cheesy

"reality leaves alot to the imagination"

I dig things and people
The one with the stripes

you look like lunch to me! ^_^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2004 06:03:44 AM »

i second the nudity option! i WILL have my own little nudist colony one of these days.

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

Also, I have a blog at  http://neglectedblog.blogspot.com/
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2004 11:54:50 AM »

awww, but juniper, your clothes are so cute!  if you had a nudist colony, we couldn't wear them!

The one with the stripes

you look like lunch to me! ^_^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2004 04:28:08 PM »

damn. you have a point. .

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

Also, I have a blog at  http://neglectedblog.blogspot.com/
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2004 10:24:11 AM »

I am anywhere from a size 10-14 in pants from Gap/Old Navy and I just discovered a store that seems to fit real 'women' sizes. It's called NewYork and Company, I believe. I bought two pairs of pants, and they both fit me wonderfully, and were only $20 each on sale. I don't know if anyone has heard of this store. I'm from Michigan, and it was just in the local mall. I believe there is also one in Chicago.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004 03:57:51 PM by wizkid » THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog: http://katiesredumbrella.blogspot.com/

the etsy: http://katiecanavan.etsy.com

ravelry: serafinapekkala
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2004 01:29:19 PM »

I LOVE this thread!  Mom and I were just talking about it the other day.  Why can I go in a store (any store) and find a pair of cargo pants in a size 8, for example, then grab a pair of jeans and have to get a size 10?  How much sense does that make?  At least make all the sizes the same IN THE SAME STORE!!!!!  And forget trying to go to several different stores to find pants.  Shirts aren't so much of a problem, but finding jeans is a nightmare!  I'm really needing some right now, so I'm not looking forward to having to shop this weekend.  It's not easy finding an average 7 (not short, not tall) low rise, flared leg pair of jeans.  You'd think it would be, but no...it's impossible.  I'm trying to learn to sew so I can make my own stuff.  I'm not very good at coming up with fresh ideas for clothes, though, so I have to go off of patterns and what I see you all doing.

As hard as it is for me, it's even harder for my brother, though. He wears a 36-36 size jeans.  Yes, he's tall and skinny.  No one in our town sells that size.  My mom has to drive 60 miles to a store or she can order them from the local store (but that is no guarantee he'll actually like them when they get here!!!)  Ugh!   Angry Angry Angry

I am so smart! S-M-R-T....oops! I mean S-M-A-R-T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2004 02:02:43 PM »

Forget what the clothing companies say.  They're working off a screwed up ideal of how a woman should look.

I'm 5'3" and 36-31-41.  I'm curvy, but not fat, though by some of the BMI and other "measures" out there, I guess I supposedly am. 

I have a very hard time finding clothes that fit just right.  Because I have wider hips, many pants makers assume I'll be tall.  So, I have to either find a brand that fits well and sells shorter version, or I have to hem them.  I've found that Gap's lowrise boot cut jeans look pretty good on me.  And because my top is smaller than my bottom, I find that many commercial dresses don't fit right.  If the top fits perfect, the hips are too tight, making me look like a cheap hooker.  And if the hips are perfect, I look like an A cup wearing a DD bra.  Okay, so I exaggerate a bit (but only a bit!)

Making your own clothes, I've found, is an excellent solution.  Not only can you customize your clothes so that the fit YOU, you can also customize how they look.  I don't know how many times I've found a cool piece of clothing and thought "I'd buy that, if only it were in a better color/pattern."  Plus, you're almost totally guaranteed to not be wearing the same thing as someone else!

The best advice I can give for store bought clothes is to ignore the sizing, and shop around a lot until you find something that fits.  Then stick to it like glue until the jerks who design the stuff decide that they would rather have you walking around naked or in old, worn down clothing, because they discontinue that design, or change how they size things.
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2004 01:43:43 AM »

all you curvy ladies should be very proud of yourself. the hourglass shape is dying out -  women's shapes have change so much in the last 50 years. You are a rare breed indeed!

women's waists and hips these days tend to pretty even in size, and clothing companies tend to cater for this. so this is why you have trouble finding clothes to fit your curvy figures.

girls from the UK will be pleased to know, that soon the new clothing sizes will be coming out, and all shops will have to make the same size of colthes. So instead of being a size8 in one store, and a 12 in another, you'll be a 10, in every single shop Smiley

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Tomato Glaze
Forming Meatloaf into Loaves
Adding Meatloaf Ingredients Together
How to choose meat for your Meatloaf
Home Style Meatloaf Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...