A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: making baby mobiles...  (Read 395 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

showmehelen

*it's nice to be nice

View Profile WWW
« on: November 13, 2006 03:03:29 PM »

i've been asked to make a baby mobile for my sister-in-law's new baby who will be arriving very soon 

i was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas about how i could go about making this?
ideally i would make it from amigurumi - but i can't crochet - which obvously would make this rather difficult!!

i can knit ok and i my sewing is not too bad. i was thinking about doing something made out of felt shapes?

do you think that it's important that the objects hanging from the mobile face downwards? i would have thought that this was an important thing, but when i've been looking at mobiles on google images, loads of them have flat pieces hanging down that should be viewed from the side rather than underneath.

any thoughts or ideas that anyone has about this will be greatly appreciated 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

corduroy cat
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006 03:17:20 PM »

i made one for a friend earlier this year, check out my post:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=71659.0
it was needle felted, but i'm sure you could make something similar with craft felt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
impchild
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006 03:23:18 PM »

i think i would either find little stuffed animal patterns that i like or that go with their theme and attach them to a square or circle. i think i would either use a embroidery hoop (or anything like that) wrapped with ribbon like in the second pic or a square with a "tent over it like in the last pic. if they don't have a theme bright colors are good as they encourage eye developement

THIS ROCKS   Logged

momma to a 5yo drama king
ISO: purple/black/green yarn scraps (2yds or more), vintage hankies and a single fire opal bead.
MadelBlue
Blue Sees...

Tangled up in blue...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006 03:44:00 PM »

I think it's important to have the animals facing downward if its to entertain the baby and not just make the room look cute. A lot of mobiles have the animals so the adult sees them and the baby underneath gets a weird view. Hold one of those traditional mobiles over your head, it sucks. Also, babies are very interested in human faces at early ages and can only see black and white and red patterns at first. (think checks, swirls, stripes)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polkaroo
Running with scissors since 1978

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006 03:50:48 PM »

IMO, a good mobile looks interesting whether you're looking at it from below (like the baby) or from the side/above (like the parent).

I'm working on one right now that's a grouping of flowers made of craft wire and fabric - the flowers face down for baby, but they're layered and curved so that you they're not completely 2-D either.  It won't be hanging over the crib and will be out of reach of grabby little hands, so I'm not worried about the dangers of wire - but keep in mind that anything going over the crib should have as no edges that might hurt baby, and preferably no small parts that might present a choking hazard if they come off (says the girl who swallowed the clapper from a bell as a baby).

There's a wonderful thread of animal shaped cat toys made of felt http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=63399.0... I'm picturing something similar to the birdie, but only flying so that it looks cute from all angles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Different Celebrities Wearing the Same Dress
Pregnant Stars Rocking Their Style
Cannes Festival 2013: Best and Worst Dressed
Style Evolution: Mila Kunis
Hottest Shoes For The Fall Season
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...