A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Montreal: thrift and craft stores  (Read 33953 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sera_Angel

Donuts don't evaporate

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2003 06:07:56 PM »

Village des Valeurs (aka Value Village)
It's a thrift shop selling second hand goods. There is one near Pie IX if you plan on going to the botanical garden you can make a trip there.
2033 Pie IX
Montreal, PQ H1V 9Z7
TEL (514) 528-8604

Here are other locations
http://www.villagedesvaleurs.com/whoweare/canada/pq.php

L'Oiseau Bleu is my favorite craft store, they have so much stuff in one store. It's amazing...
Soap & candle making supplies, rubber stamping, origami paper, beading, rug hooking, basket weaving, baking supplies. I can spend hours there, and the prices are reasonable. Also near Pie IX

How to get there:
http://www.loiseaubleu.com/rejoindre.htm

the same bus (it goes along Pie IX) that takes you to L'oiseau bleu passes by village des valeurs, it is a few stops before it.

Omer de Serres is another favorite of mine, they are a franchise art store but they too sell crafting supplies.
They have quite a few locations around the city. I go to the one near St.Catherine/St.Denis (eastern Montreal)
http://www.omerdeserres.com/engl/about/contact.asp

If you have time you should go to Au Papier Japonais
It is my favorite paper place. They sell all kinds of Japanese paper, origami paper and crafts. It's a little place just off of St.Laurent (past Mount Royal on Fairmount.
I can spend hours there and $$$, they have a great range of papers and prices.
They have an online store but it's sooooo much nicer seeing it in person.
http://www.japanesepaperplace.com/hours_and_contact_info.htm#contact_info

Dont' forget the Dollarama's!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are all over the city and a great place to find stuff. I get a lot of my craft supplies there such as glue sticks, marbles to make magnets, storage containers, candles etc....
Just a few locations
On St.Laurent just below Duluth
St.Catherine just below President Kennedy. (Downtown Montreal near all the major shopping Malls (Eaton Centre and the Bay)

Shopping on St.Denis between Sherbrooke and Mount Royal is a great place to find a few fabric stores and other second hand stores. St.Laurent is the the next street over which is also worth a look at.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 04:00:08 PM by -1 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyLea14
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004 09:38:35 AM »

Thanx 4 your help sera_angel !
I know all of the stores you mentionned and there some of my favorites too  Cheesy Umm i don't know if you've ever been to Toronto (kensignton market) the store courage my love...it's a little like Village Valeur ?! I was wondering if their was any kinda stores like that around here ?! Winners is good too ! I need REAL thrift store  Wink hihi..but thanx aloooot and if you've got any more info, well let me know ! Thanx a bunch

-x-Craftyme-x-
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cathou

se roule un mouton

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004 03:07:34 PM »

I know for a fatc that we have a lot of trift stores ... just have to figure out where  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<("<) <( " )> (>")>
CraftyLea14
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004 07:20:05 AM »

yeap...umm here's what i can think of ...Winners, Villlage Valeur..Oh and there was this one..ooo i can't remember the name but it was so KEWL !! This old lady owned the shop and it's a really small, crowded shop were they sold EVERYTHING ...Shoes from the 20's up 'till now ummm really old keys, jewlery, purses, Books, Costumes, everything you can think of...it's in montreal i think Huh Yeah it's montreal ! Grin I'll find more info on the store and i'll keep ya posted !! Wink Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004 07:58:56 AM »

I'm gonna be in Montreal for a weekend soon.

I just read the craft and thrift store recommendation in this thread but if anyone feels like recommending any more or perhaps other cool places to shop, eat, sight-see, etc, I'd totally appreciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
SarahFroggy
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004 09:26:33 AM »

st hubert street has lots and lots of fabric stores. also a bead store called chaton beads and there are other stores that sell only notions. its way too fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loulou
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2004 07:48:07 PM »

St hubert is my favourite Street in Montreal. Lots and lots of fabric stores, from very cheap and retro types to very classy expensive silks in one store where you cannot touch the fabric.  Seriously!! There is also Kava Thread company where you can buy large cones of thread for next to nothing.  I am a quilter and by 100% cotton thread in 10,000 metre cones for $4.00 in white and off white only.  This is not Coats and Clark or Metler quality, but is fine for piecing.  They also have the best pair of small scissors that I have ever owned.  They are about a 3 inch blade with green handles and have very sharp tips and I have been known to use them for a seam ripper when mine is buried.  They  are about $4.00 a pair,  get two, you will love them.  I think I have three now and my daughter Sarah Froggy owns a couple also.  I have sharpened them, and they work great.  The notions store Sarah talks of has windows out to the street and you go up the stairs between the windows.  Their zippers are very cheap, less than 10 cents a inch and they will make the size you need for you.  Lots to see and do in Montreal. If you like Greek food, eat at  la Cabane Greque on Prince arthur street, where all the restaurants are bring you own wine.  In summer the steet is alive with buskers and lots of entertainment.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sera_Angel

Donuts don't evaporate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004 02:53:42 PM »

Here are some suggestions for site seeing, shopping and places to eat.

http://www.supernaturale.com/glitter/viewtopic.php?t=594&highlight=
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kymberlee

I craft, therefore I am

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004 03:46:35 PM »

I'm out in the West Island of Montreal, and even if you don't live in the area it's worth a trip for crafting. There'S a wal-mart, 2 winners, a Villager Des Valeurs... There'S a really good Dollarama (The best I've seen) on the corner of Hymus and St. Charles in Kirkland. In the Pointe Claire Plaza on St.John's there is Ted's Hobby shop, as well As a yarn store (I can't remeber the name)
For Fabric, there'S both Fabricville and Bouclair in Dollard, and if you head down to Pointe Claire Village, you'll find a specialty bead shop, as well as a scrapbooking store.
For thrift shops downtown, walk up and down Mount Royal and you'll find a ton. There's alo Eva B on St Laurent, as well as a few army surplus stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_cherry
***Mi$$ Cherry ***

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2004 11:49:24 AM »

I live out in the south shore and have found 1 thrift shop (its not really imprssive  Cry ) And I agree Omer des Serres is a really cool shop (i get all my soap and candle stuff there ) but it can get kinda pricey $$$
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a very special little girl...
mertle
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2004 05:19:20 PM »

In my opinion the best thrift store in montreal is 'Renaissance Fripe-Prix' on St. Laurent and Jean Talon (I think the street is called Jean Talon, anyway it's by the Jean Talon Market)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
semira
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005 05:03:26 PM »

So kewll to see fellow montrealers on Crafster!!! I joined this site recently and am completely addicted already!!!  Here are some of my favorite needle shops in Montreal: A la tricoteuse (a little pricy) 779 Rachel East near Mont Royal Metro, 527 2451, Foyer d'artisanat Raymond 9600 Boul. St-Laurent Ste.200, only for bulk purchases, awesome place!!! 387 8181....Jeanette's Needle Craft Shoppe 5492 Queen Mary, Snowdon Metro 3 blocks west of decarie, very sweet people and everything for needles ++  486 2800...L.B. Magasin de Fibre 2270 Mont-Royal East 521 9000...Very affordable, sells wool ++ by weight...  A la lainerie Lepine, 3884 Jean-Talon East 721 2240, Maille, Maille Boutique Tricot 80, Laurier West 274 9855
La grande ourse on duluth also offers craft workshops and my favourite place to craft and hang in Montreal is the pharmacie esparanza on st-viateur and st-laurent
If anyone in here ever wants to get together to craft and exchange ideas, give me a shout!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aprilkiss
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005 10:53:24 AM »

i just want to say that i visited montreal for the first time last weekend, and i'm absolutely in love with this city.  it is full of the nicest people i've ever met, and all of the shops mentioned here (especially ones on mont royal and on st.denis) are very very cool.
if you're a music geek or a second hand clothing fanatic, definitely visit mont royal.

cheers...et merci montreal!!
april
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.zeldasfitz.blog spot.com
"papa was a rodeo,
mama was a rock n roll band..."
Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010 04:34:26 PM »

Salvation Army also has some great thrift stores all around the city (I usually go to the one on Notre-Dame West.

Also on Notre-Dame West, there's a little store called La Gaillarde that sells recycled & clothing as well as jewelery but they also have a thrift section and offer sewing lessons; staff is great. Actually, I think it's a non-profit organization... check it out!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010 04:38:49 PM by Burgz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. Its our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit. " - Mary Lou Retton
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Ideas of Bottoms For Boys
Top 3 Shirts for Boys
Sun-Protective Clothing for Kids
Trendy Hairstyles for Kids
Tween Boys Back to School Fashion
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...