A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
413 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with Monsoon dress  (Read 1291 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Yttrai
« on: November 13, 2006 07:23:34 AM »

Some of you may have been aware of the store Monsoon, UK based, but used to have 2 stores in the US.  It is where i went for every formal occasion.  Until they pulled out of the US!  Bad Monsoon.  Their quality was very high, and their prices reasonable for formal wear, if a bit pricey for every day wear.

Anyway, i have our company annual xmas party in just over a month, and i have found the perfect dress:

http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/85212603

I love the wide waistband - that is the main selling point for me.  The turned over bit of skirt is optional for me, although if it isn't too difficult i might be willing to try.  Maybe.

Anyway, how would you, o gods and godesses of Craftster, go about reproducing this dress?  I am an american size 18, i think (i only wear men's jeans, and i bought all my girl clothes at Monsoon which uses different sizing) with wide shoulders and hips and a waist that is much narrower.  And not so much in the bosomage Cheesy

Thanks tons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
i.am.flowerchild

Hello from Australia!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006 10:20:45 PM »

The easiest way to make this would be to get a strapless dress pattern.

The bodice is fitted and would have a zip at the back - the skirt part is full circle (think 50's skirts they have a similar shape). 

The waistband section I'd say can be done separately and added afterwards - it would be easiest if it wrapped like a belt/sash and maybe hook together at the back with hook/eyes.

I'd leave the ruffle out if you aren't an accomplished sew'er/pattern drafter as it's slightly complicated to work out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yttrai
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006 04:54:54 PM »

Actually my Plan A is to find the perfect dress, and then make the sash myself, and bag the overturn.

Any patterns anybody likes for just the sash?  I don't know if its best to make some sort of lined hook-and-eye closure very wide belt, perhaps lightly boned to give it structure, and then simply wrap and hand stitch the red fabric over it.

I have a huge problem in that all good looking plus size dresses are empire waisted.  Well, i know it flatters most zaftigs, but not me <:{  It makes me look pregnant, because i have a decent sized midriff but little or no bosomage.  A structured wide sash i think would solve that problem by adding definition and lenthening my torso, at the same time skimming over the "problem areas".  That's part of why i love the Monsoon dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amy_UK
Got any sci-fi?

I don't like cricket. Oh, no. I love it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006 04:56:49 AM »

It looks to me like it's ruched at the sides - possibly held by a row of stitching.  That would be a great place to put some soft boning, just for structure.

In the Monsoon dress, it's probably sewn into the dress with the zip, so if you get a RTW item, and you have the confidence, you could unpick the zip and stitch your own sash in.

I don't think you'll need a pattern, because it's just a large rectangle with some gathering at the side.

HTH
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My new blog: http://dyedinthewool.wordpress.com/
Do you craft?  Are you called Amy, or Amie or Ami?  Join us at http://knittingamys.blogspot.com
Yttrai
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006 03:37:46 PM »

Hmmm, see, you think it is ruched?  To me it looks like a single band of thing cloth wrapped around about 27 times after being gathered.  So basically ruching before wrapping.

But i will give it a test run using both methods.  I don't want to waste the money on that much fabric, but i will cruise the sale aisles.

Thanks for the advice.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
i.am.flowerchild

Hello from Australia!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006 06:50:08 PM »

Yeah it looks like it's gathered at the sides.

Try doing it with a cheaper piece of satin first (it's called Party Satin here in Australia) to see how it looks before splashing out on more expensive fabric. You'd only need a small piece maybe 30cm long and the width around your waist/hips plus seams.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amy_UK
Got any sci-fi?

I don't like cricket. Oh, no. I love it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006 03:44:37 AM »

It just looked like an obi sash - just a large rectangle of fabric - but with some gathering at the sides.  I'd never thought about it being thin strips wrapped around and around.  Interesting ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My new blog: http://dyedinthewool.wordpress.com/
Do you craft?  Are you called Amy, or Amie or Ami?  Join us at http://knittingamys.blogspot.com
GoddessMama
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006 08:08:26 PM »

Ok thats and easy dress to make it a basic bodice sloper with added fullness on the bottom done in a wrap design and pleated in the front.  The sash would need to be drafted of the orrigional bodice piece otherwise you going to get a puffy look you wont like.  Wink Its probally done in 3 peices, one in front and two in back where it meets up with the zipper. Its just some simple gathering to create that look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Mini Pumpkin Tarts
The Classic Sugar Cookie Recipe
Chocolate Cream Puff Trifle Recipe
Apricot-Pistachio Biscotti Recipe
Brandy Apple Pie Filling Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...