A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,754
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with Monsoon dress  (Read 1253 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Yttrai
« on: November 13, 2006 07:23:34 AM »

Some of you may have been aware of the store Monsoon, UK based, but used to have 2 stores in the US.  It is where i went for every formal occasion.  Until they pulled out of the US!  Bad Monsoon.  Their quality was very high, and their prices reasonable for formal wear, if a bit pricey for every day wear.

Anyway, i have our company annual xmas party in just over a month, and i have found the perfect dress:

http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/85212603

I love the wide waistband - that is the main selling point for me.  The turned over bit of skirt is optional for me, although if it isn't too difficult i might be willing to try.  Maybe.

Anyway, how would you, o gods and godesses of Craftster, go about reproducing this dress?  I am an american size 18, i think (i only wear men's jeans, and i bought all my girl clothes at Monsoon which uses different sizing) with wide shoulders and hips and a waist that is much narrower.  And not so much in the bosomage Cheesy

Thanks tons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
i.am.flowerchild

Hello from Australia!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006 10:20:45 PM »

The easiest way to make this would be to get a strapless dress pattern.

The bodice is fitted and would have a zip at the back - the skirt part is full circle (think 50's skirts they have a similar shape). 

The waistband section I'd say can be done separately and added afterwards - it would be easiest if it wrapped like a belt/sash and maybe hook together at the back with hook/eyes.

I'd leave the ruffle out if you aren't an accomplished sew'er/pattern drafter as it's slightly complicated to work out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yttrai
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006 04:54:54 PM »

Actually my Plan A is to find the perfect dress, and then make the sash myself, and bag the overturn.

Any patterns anybody likes for just the sash?  I don't know if its best to make some sort of lined hook-and-eye closure very wide belt, perhaps lightly boned to give it structure, and then simply wrap and hand stitch the red fabric over it.

I have a huge problem in that all good looking plus size dresses are empire waisted.  Well, i know it flatters most zaftigs, but not me <:{  It makes me look pregnant, because i have a decent sized midriff but little or no bosomage.  A structured wide sash i think would solve that problem by adding definition and lenthening my torso, at the same time skimming over the "problem areas".  That's part of why i love the Monsoon dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amy_UK
Got any sci-fi?

I don't like cricket. Oh, no. I love it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006 04:56:49 AM »

It looks to me like it's ruched at the sides - possibly held by a row of stitching.  That would be a great place to put some soft boning, just for structure.

In the Monsoon dress, it's probably sewn into the dress with the zip, so if you get a RTW item, and you have the confidence, you could unpick the zip and stitch your own sash in.

I don't think you'll need a pattern, because it's just a large rectangle with some gathering at the side.

HTH
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My new blog: http://dyedinthewool.wordpress.com/
Do you craft?  Are you called Amy, or Amie or Ami?  Join us at http://knittingamys.blogspot.com
Yttrai
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006 03:37:46 PM »

Hmmm, see, you think it is ruched?  To me it looks like a single band of thing cloth wrapped around about 27 times after being gathered.  So basically ruching before wrapping.

But i will give it a test run using both methods.  I don't want to waste the money on that much fabric, but i will cruise the sale aisles.

Thanks for the advice.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
i.am.flowerchild

Hello from Australia!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006 06:50:08 PM »

Yeah it looks like it's gathered at the sides.

Try doing it with a cheaper piece of satin first (it's called Party Satin here in Australia) to see how it looks before splashing out on more expensive fabric. You'd only need a small piece maybe 30cm long and the width around your waist/hips plus seams.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amy_UK
Got any sci-fi?

I don't like cricket. Oh, no. I love it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006 03:44:37 AM »

It just looked like an obi sash - just a large rectangle of fabric - but with some gathering at the sides.  I'd never thought about it being thin strips wrapped around and around.  Interesting ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My new blog: http://dyedinthewool.wordpress.com/
Do you craft?  Are you called Amy, or Amie or Ami?  Join us at http://knittingamys.blogspot.com
GoddessMama
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006 08:08:26 PM »

Ok thats and easy dress to make it a basic bodice sloper with added fullness on the bottom done in a wrap design and pleated in the front.  The sash would need to be drafted of the orrigional bodice piece otherwise you going to get a puffy look you wont like.  Wink Its probally done in 3 peices, one in front and two in back where it meets up with the zipper. Its just some simple gathering to create that look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Unexpected Skin and Hair Saviors to Pack in Your Beach Bag
Top Picks For Lashes, Brushes And Contouring
How To Properly Apply Bronzer
Latest Skin Care Trends For Summer Wedding Season
Put Your Best Face Forward With These Beauty Tips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...