A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,161
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Basic pattern, but still confused, please help  (Read 487 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ingysoup
« on: November 15, 2006 09:35:32 AM »

OK, so again, I'm trying to crochet.  This will be my first real project.  I am determined.  It's just a basic hat using sc.  I've gotten through the first 5 rounds with no problem understanding the instructions, but now...grrr.  And this is what it says:

"Round 6:  1 sc in each st (no increase)  Work 7 more rounds, increasing 9 sc on every other round  blah blah blah."

OK, so where, or to what st do I add the 9 sc?  Just arbitrarily add them at what I think is even around the cirlce?  Gah, will anyone understand me?  I hope so. 

Thanks A Bunch!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DisneyFan
I Love Disney, My Husband Loves Shakira!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006 10:35:15 AM »

I hate when patterns make you think and don't tell you what to do each round.  It drives me nuts.  If I wanted to have to figure it out myself, I'd write my own pattern!  lol  Here's the deal:  I'm going to assume that if it's telling you to increase by 9 in every other round that you started out with 9 sc.  Whatever you start out with in your first round is what you increase each round by.  So, you had 9sc in rnd 1, 18 sc in rnd2, 27 sc in rnd 3, 36 sc in rnd 4, 45 sc in rnd 5.  Right?  Okay, work Rnd 6 even (45 sc) then, for Rnd 7, after using a slip stitch to connect to the first stitch in Rnd 6, you will ch 1, (you are connecting with a slip stitch, right?  and not working in a spiral?)  you will work 4 sc, and then two sc in the next sc so that you are increasing, and follow this the whole way around.  So at the end of Round 7, you have 54 sc.  Then, work Round 8 even (54 sc), then, in Round 9, chain 1 and work 5 sc and then 2 sc in the next sc, following this pattern around.  Then, you'll have 63 sc.  Each time you have to increase, just add one to that first number.  You have to increase in an even manner or you'll end up with something lopsided.  Does that make sense?  If you need more help, let me know.  When you have to do all this math, sometimes it helps to write it all out before you keep going!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took up running so that I could eat more, not because it feels good.  haha
ingysoup
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006 11:05:10 AM »

I hate when patterns make you think and don't tell you what to do each round.  It drives me nuts.  If I wanted to have to figure it out myself, I'd write my own pattern!  lol
  Yeah you ain't kiddin'  DisneyFan.

Yes, it did start w/ 9 sc.  But I did not slip stitch to attach rows...GAH!  It didn't tell me to!  Was I supposed to?  I understand everything else you wrote, but should I now begin again?  It didn't take that long so far, so I wouldn't mind too much *rolls eyes*.

And thank you so much with your help!  Because you know my son certainly needs a nice warm hat here in freakily hot FL in Nov.  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DisneyFan
I Love Disney, My Husband Loves Shakira!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006 11:10:27 AM »

If it didn't tell you to slip stitch, then it's making you work in a spiral.  So, then, ignore my ch 1 advice.  lol  Just be sure that you're using a stitch marker to mark the first stitch of each round so that you don't lose count. 

I hope it cools down in FL before next month--we'll be at Disney World and I was counting on cool weather!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took up running so that I could eat more, not because it feels good.  haha
ingysoup
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006 11:32:03 AM »

Thanks SO much!!!!  I really appeciate it.

Yeah, I hope it cools down too.  And I hope you have a great time at Disney!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Grow Long, Healthy Hair
7 Fresh Ways to Style a Ponytail
Sleeping Beauty: How to Get Glam Waves While You Snooze
How To Get Natural Looking Waves
How to Do a Messy Bun and Freshen Up Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...