A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,769
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wall hanging for my mum... I don't think I like it!  (Read 5733 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Crafting while watching LOST

Um Hmm

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2006 07:40:27 AM »

I worked on this for about a month and now, well, I think it's missing something. I don't know what though. Maybe the background is too plain, maybe the stems are too thick, maybe the border is wrong. It was going to be for her birthday but if I can't figure out what I need to do to it to make it not ug then in trouble! Hmmmm

Close up of the flowers

Chronic Craftubater =)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006 07:41:33 AM »

i really like it. maybe you've just been looking at it for too long?

"We pencil-sketch our previous life so we can contrast it to the technicolor of the moment"
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006 07:44:06 AM »

I'm usually not a fan of applique, but this is super cute! I think that if you added some quilting to the backround, and didn't quilt the flowers, you would be totally happy. That way the flowers would sort of pop up at you a very slight bit.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006 08:03:01 AM »

I really like it, I think it's nice just the way it is. But I agree with the above the poster, about quilting the background a little, that will let the flowers pop.

Your mom is very lucky!
Danyell Wilbur of H&C Boutique

Turn on, tune in, drop out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006 08:04:16 AM »

I think it's REALLY cute as is. You might just be having an artist fit--I drew a poster-sized picture of myself once, and everybody thought it was amazing. To this day, though, I still think it looks like crap, haha.

Karmikins: Because Knowing is Half the Battle
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006 08:07:13 AM »

I absolutely ADORE this wall hanging!!!  Is that your own pattern???  It's really cute!!!  It reminds me of the button-flower bouquets that are posted under another topic.  I have that on my list of things to make...and now I want to add this too!  It's beautiful!   Smiley

I was staring at the picture, trying to think of something I could say to help with your 'missing something' dilemma.  I kept coming back to this thought...maybe you could add something around the top of the pot?  I'm a bows and buttons person...but, I'm not sure that would work here.  I love ChaelaAnne's idea of quilting the background and not the flowers.  That would add some texture, without taking away from the flowers.

Great work!
Ms. Rosie

Helpz Mommee is a cwazee cat ladee!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006 08:17:15 AM »

Smiley It works -- the colors and prints all work together nicely!

Ok, so I am the crazy cat lady.  Live with it.
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006 08:44:39 AM »

the thing I'm not sure about is the border- it's a cool print, but you can never see the whole dragonfly, only a wing here or a head there. I think a solid color would work fine, maybe with some embroidery or wavy quilty stuff on it? haha I don't quilt, so I'm just trying to think of things I've seen before. but I LOVE your flowers! very cute design!

there's a hole in the bottom of the sea. did you know?
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006 09:08:48 AM »

I agree, the border is the only part I'm not into. I just doesn't have the charm of the rest of the piece.

Crafting while watching LOST

Um Hmm

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006 09:45:20 AM »

Thanks for all the nice words! I agree on both points, the background and the border. I was toying with the idea of some quilting in the border with a bright thread to break up the print but I don't want it to be too busy. And I think the background definitely needs something. It's white eyelet (from my grandmas stash that I inherited) so it's a little tricky to quilt because of the existing detail. Maybe a swirly quilting line to break up the stark white. I have been staring at this for a while, aaaarrgh!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Fresh Green Beans
How to Cook Pork Tenderloin
How to Tailgate
Learn How To Create The Perfect Pancake
How To Make Fajitas
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...