A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Breaking News: What's with all of the SPAM on Craftster?  Click here to find out what happened!
Total Members: 307,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: When Do You Cut Them?  (Read 1111 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mei
« on: November 12, 2006 03:06:20 AM »

I was just wondering when you guys cut your clay things. I'm more into making miniature food items.

I made a (sort of) millefiori watermelon log before and I cute it into slices immediately but they kinda stuck to my clay cutting blade and disfigured the watermelon a bit.

So what I'm asking is, when do you cut your clay things? Do you

1) leave your clay out to dry for a while, then cut it or
2) put it in the fridge and then cut it as it will harden a little bit in the fridge or
3) do you cure it in the oven until it is half cured, take it out and cut it then put it back in the oven?

Do all these methods work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Online store of handmade goodness: Tiny Hands Jewelry
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006 10:21:23 AM »

1) leave your clay out to dry for a while, then cut it or
2) put it in the fridge and then cut it as it will harden a little bit in the fridge or
3) do you cure it in the oven until it is half cured, take it out and cut it then put it back in the oven?

Do all these methods work?

Those will all work, but the most frequent thing done is to let the clay sit long enough to cool all the way through (overnight is really the best) before slicing.  This is especially important when using softer clays like Sculpey or FimoSoft.

Generally, when slices are cut after putting in the oven though, they are done after the clay is fully cured but still warm (...or any baked cane can be warmed up to soften it later for slicing). 
Some clayers feel that partially baking the first time the clay is baked, makes for weaker clay because some kind of reaction won't happen as well afterward... some either don't feel that way, or do it anyway for firming up areas of sculpts, for example, so they won't be as easily squished while working in nearby areas.

There are lots of tips on slicing canes successfully on this page too, if you want to check it out:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/Canes--general.htm
(...click on Cutting Canes...)

P.S.  Polymer clay doesn't technically "dry out" since there's no water in it, like there is in air-dry clays... it does stiffen up though when it's cool and no longer exposed to friction or hot hands, etc. (and stiffens even more over time as the plasticizer settles).

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006 10:28:19 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
mei
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006 10:30:55 AM »

Ah, thank you very much!
You have always been so helpful Smiley

So... you mean even after it is cured and still warm, it's not too hard and can still be cut with a basic clay blade?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006 02:14:46 PM »

So... you mean even after it is cured and still warm, it's not too hard and can still be cut with a basic clay blade?

Yep, especially for not-too-large canes... slices almost like butter.

"Basic clay blades" come in various thicknesses and degrees of flexibility though, so if you're using a very thin one, you'll want to "stretch" the blade while cutting to increase its tension and stiffness (reducing flexibility).  You can do that pulling outward a bit on the blade with each hand just before and during slicing, and also holding your fingers resonably close to the cane on both sides.

When the cutting gets more difficult, put the cane back in the oven for a few minutes.

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
mei
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006 04:35:26 PM »

Oh! I see Cheesy I got it, I understand Smiley
Thank you very much again!
I'll do that when I'm slicing my cane Wink
Thanks again, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006 05:15:48 PM »

Just remember that clayers seldom cut canes that are already baked into slices, unless they want undistorted slices (sometimes odd-shaped) and they're sure they won't want that cane for other purposes later... though you can always just cut off and bake one portion of a cane too when you want individual baked slices for something.

(Btw, the blade stretching trick works for regular raw canes too that might be larger or when one's blade is thinner.)

Another trick that's sometimes used on whole canes (whether they're later baked or not) is when you want to make a vertical hole each slice (for an eyepin, etc.).  In that case, holes are drilled in the raw clay   cane for each slice, top to bottom usually, then the slicing is done between the holes.  That way the slice wouldn't get distorted like when the hole is after slicing, and/or the hole will just already be made in each slice (of course, you need to be sure you know exactly how wide you want each slice before making those holes because afterwards, it's a little hard to change!

Diane B.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006 05:17:46 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Beyoncé Taps Handicapped Model to Star in Her Newest Campaign
DIY Sheet Mask with Green Tea, Milk, & Rice Paper
Beauty Spy: The Pastel Pop Look
Why Kendall Jenner Quit The Gym
Drew Barrymore Breaks MAJOR Beauty Rule Every Night
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Belted Chair Seat
Tute Tuesday: Rainbow Skirt
Who? Who Loves Owls?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...