A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: THE MOST AMAZING ADVENT CALENDAR WITH TUTE!! (complete w/ photos)  (Read 59185 times)
Tags for this thread: advent , advent_calendar , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artisticnightmare
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2006 09:39:51 PM »

I agree this is radtastic!  Because of how long it would take to cut all the circles and glue the different paper to them I'm considering buying the precut ones they sell in the scrapbooking department.  They also have squares, rectangles, and triangles- I'm thinking of using those so they will be like little Christmas trees.  You can get a bag of them that are already decorated.  Not enough time to get everything done before Christmas/Dec.1!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MsP
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2006 05:12:31 AM »

Great work!  I make an advent calendar every year for the kids, but never thought to use styrofoam - brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
burstandbloom
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2006 08:06:12 AM »

I agree this is radtastic!  Because of how long it would take to cut all the circles and glue the different paper to them I'm considering buying the precut ones they sell in the scrapbooking department.  They also have squares, rectangles, and triangles- I'm thinking of using those so they will be like little Christmas trees.  You can get a bag of them that are already decorated.  Not enough time to get everything done before Christmas/Dec.1!

triangle trees would be sooo cute. and...i've seen those chipboard circle things...but never ones that were already decorated!!! that's crazy. that would be perfect if you were pressed for time. good luck on yours! be sure to post your results so i can see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps!
buckynbaby
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2006 02:19:15 PM »

That truly is the *BEST* advent calendar ever.  I sort of did this with my kids one year, where I planned a bunch of things that we would do (visit Santa, make cookies blah, blah, blah) but I just made a paper chain with all the activities listed on them.  You took it to a whole other level.  You are the best girlfriend EVER too!!!  I hope he appreciates it as much as we do!

~L
THIS ROCKS   Logged
burstandbloom
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2006 02:43:57 PM »

That truly is the *BEST* advent calendar ever.  I sort of did this with my kids one year, where I planned a bunch of things that we would do (visit Santa, make cookies blah, blah, blah) but I just made a paper chain with all the activities listed on them.  You took it to a whole other level.  You are the best girlfriend EVER too!!!  I hope he appreciates it as much as we do!

~L

aww thank you so much!...and hey, when i was a little kid, paper chains were like...the highlight of my life. lol i would sit in my room for hours and hours cutting construction paper and making them. so...if my mom would have done something like that when i was little...i would have died of happiness. lol.

i'll be sure to post on here after december 1st to let everyone know what my boyfriend thinks of it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps!
Fortunesfoe
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2006 02:09:42 AM »

Totally awesome calendar!  I'm going to have a go making one for my boyfriend for christmas day, with each hole being for each hour of the day rather than for each day of December, if that makes sense!  Like, the first one will be 10am, then 11am and so on till 12 midnight.

But I have a couple of questions, is modpodge the same as PVA glue in the UK?  I know it can be a glue and a sealer and a varnish, the last two of which I don't think PVA can do but I was thinking I might just buy a thing of varnish to properly finish it off instead.  Also, what is a brad?  I've googled it but I couldn't find out what it is! 

I love Craftster but the USA lingo confuses me sometimes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mave

do-dee-do-do-dee-do-dodododo

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2006 03:44:58 AM »

a brad is like a paper-fastener, the ones that you poke through and pull apart.  I think we also call the butterfly pins.  They have heads in different shapes and colours though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my (very short!) wist http://www.wists.com/MaveH
burstandbloom
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2006 08:19:54 AM »

Totally awesome calendar!  I'm going to have a go making one for my boyfriend for christmas day, with each hole being for each hour of the day rather than for each day of December, if that makes sense!  Like, the first one will be 10am, then 11am and so on till 12 midnight.

But I have a couple of questions, is modpodge the same as PVA glue in the UK?  I know it can be a glue and a sealer and a varnish, the last two of which I don't think PVA can do but I was thinking I might just buy a thing of varnish to properly finish it off instead.  Also, what is a brad?  I've googled it but I couldn't find out what it is! 

I love Craftster but the USA lingo confuses me sometimes!

yah mave was right about describing what a brad is.

as far as PVA glue...i have no idea what that is. so i really can't tell you the differences. and to me, "varnish" is like something you would use on wood or something. it may have a different meaning to you though. but i mean, if all else fails, you could just order some modpodge off the internet. because for this project you will defintiely need something that is specifically made for decoupaging things.

hope i helped a tiny bit! sorry i can't be more imformative.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps!
Mave

do-dee-do-do-dee-do-dodododo

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2006 08:57:02 AM »

i think that modpodge is some super-duper quality not so wet PVA...  i have PVA'd on top of stuff before and it was fine.  if this weren't such a special project i'd say just go for it!!

and btw
i'll be sure to post on here after december 1st to let everyone know what my boyfriend thinks of it!

i can't wait! Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006 09:01:14 AM by Mave » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my (very short!) wist http://www.wists.com/MaveH
jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2006 09:10:41 AM »

Though I wont get to this this year (baby due any day now..) I bookmarked it so I can do it next year.. one of the nicest I have seen.. great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Your Hair Into a Modern Knot
How to Style Your Hair in a Topknot
How to Style Short Hair for Men
How to Style Your Hair in a Perfect Ponytail
How to Style Your Hair in a French Twist
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...