A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: THE MOST AMAZING ADVENT CALENDAR WITH TUTE!! (complete w/ photos)  (Read 60166 times)
Tags for this thread: advent , advent_calendar , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

burstandbloom
« on: November 11, 2006 12:17:38 PM »

okay...so here's the story...as all of my craft projects tend to have stories. one night..my boyfriend and i were talking about the upcoming holiday season and stuff and things we could do since i'd be home from college and stuff. well..i ended up listing like ten billion cheesy christmas things we could do to make this the BEST CHRISTMAS EVER. hahaha. i was only semi-kidding when i was listing all these things....well...one day..i was flipping through a magazine and saw one of those boring felt grandma-y advent calendars (no offense to anyone!!) and i was like GASP OH MY GOSH I CAN MAKE AARON AN ADVENT CALENDAR!! haha and i could plan the funny events for different days and stuff.

so that's what i did...thus..about 100 dollars later (this includes all the things for events and stuff too!)...the best advent calendar in the world was born...
front (measures 12in x 15in)

side (2in thick)

close up

a couple details..
these little cookie cutters are SO precious and they are for the day that i have planned to bake cookies and other fun christmas treats!

this is a little dinosaur ornament..it's an inside joke with me and my boyfriend...but this is for the day we will decorate our own little tree in my room at home...

i hope you like this!! feedback would be lovely.

also...i took lots of progress pics and stuff so....if anyone wants a TUTORIAL...i'd be more than happy to make one!!

****EDIT****

so everyone wants a tutorial...so i will make one! as always, if you use my idea, please try to put your OWN creativity into it...dont just copy (afterall this is a very special, personal gift for my boyfriend) and PLEASE post pics of what you make!!!

materials:
+ styrofoam block in the shape/size you want (i got mine from the section in hobby lobby where you get all the floral sutff)
+ thin cardboard (i used the pieces that come on the back of those pads of paper)
+ scissors
+ sharp craft knife/steak knife. whatever you see fit to cut through stryfoam...it needs to havea  serrated edge though.
+ LOTS of different christmas themed paper
+ modpodge (i used about 3/4 of a 16oz bottle...youneed A LOT) and paintbrush to apply it with
+ ruler
+a circle cutter for paper comes in handy...but isn't a necessity
+ brads or your choice
+ any extra decorations you would like (i.e. buttons, ribbon, etc.)
+ lots of goodies to put inside!
{note: i got most of my supplies at hobby lobby...other than that..at target}
okay! let's begin!

step 1) using graph paper, draw out how you want your calendar to look like. once you've finished this you can figure the measurements you need for the calendar(you'll want to do this before going out and buying any of the materials you need)

2) cut the styrofoam to desired size. mine's 12in x 15inx 2in.  yours can be whatever.

3) next, draw a graph onto your styrofoam, then draw your circles on...this is why it was important for you to draw the design on graph paper so you can get everything just right. once you've drawn everything...start cutting out your circles!
here's my circle cutting in prgress. my circles were no wear NEAR perfect...but that's okay...you can make up for that with the paper later on.

4) once you've finished cutting...you might want to take a break. if you're like me...my wrist was KILLING me afterward. anyway...then you will cover your styrofoam using paper and LOTS of modpodge...after this is COMPLETELY dry...cut the paper away from the circles like you see in the pic below. (i used an exacto knife for this...but you can use whatever)

5) next...figure out what paper you want to cover the insides of your holes. then cut the strips according to the depth of your calendar..then tear into strips like so

6) now comes the miserable part. (if you come up with some alternative to covering the inside of the circles, i would suggest this...unless you just loves hours of modpodging)
using the glue and the paper strips...cover the insides of the circles. you will press the strips from the top paper down and cover them with the strips of paper you're using (i hope that makes sense) you're finished porduct after this point will look like this...

the piece on the right is a sheet of thin cardboard that i covered in paper. this will be attached to the back of the calendar. i just used glue to attach it.

7) next you will take more of the thin sheets of cardboard and cut out circles that are slightly bigger than the ones you've carved out (for instance...my carved circles were 1.5in and 2.5in....my cardboard circles were 1.25in and 2.75in....you can do this however you want though...the trial an error till you find the size you want)

Cool next you will take all that patterned christmas paper you have and cut in into circles. you will then cover the circles with the paper (i just used a glue stick for this)...once you've done this...you can arrange the circles on your calendar to find a pattern you like as shown in the pic below

9)the last step is DECORATE!! have fun with this. i used lots of different rubon numbers to add some variety and stuff. once you are done with this...cut out small strips of plain cardstock in whatever color you want and attach them to the back of your circles (i used  those photo squares to attach them) then...stick a brad through and just press the brad into the styrofoam and WALA! you've got yourself a calendar.

okay i hope all this makes sense to everyone...this is the first tute i've ever done. if you have questions...feel free to ask.

oh yah...and one last thing...i thought i'd include the list of whats going into my calendar for everyday in case you guys are at a loss for ideas.
(some of the little things inside stand for events that i will be doing with my boyfriend on that day...i will have corresponding packages under the tree with the number of the day on these so he can open it to find out what we're gonna do!) oh and...to let him know which ones are "special" gifts..i put a star sticker on the back of the circle of that day.

okay. here's the list

1) candy
2) dinosaur ornament *(we will be decorating my room and our very own christmas tree this day...)
3) a little tiny clay stocking ornmant *(i made him a stocking)
4) candy
5) a little clay candy cane ornament *(there will be a box of candy canes under the tree..since we both LOVE these)
6) candy
7) a little tiny felt santa hat i made *(i will be decorating santa hats that i will force him to wear with me for pictures. hahaha)
Cool candy
9) little gingerbread ornament *(we will be making a gingerbread TRAIN!!)
10) candy
11) a little ball ornament painted to look like the world it will say "you are my world" on a little piece of paper inside
12) candy
13) teeny cookie cutters *(we will be baking lots of goodness this day)
14) a music circle that play christmas carols. its on of those ones you can put in a stuffed animal or something...but it fit perfectly into my little circle and we both LOVE christmas carols so he can jsut press the button whenever he wants
15) a little star ornament with a piece of paper saying "you light up my life"
16) a little tiny bear ornament complete with a tiny blanket i knitted aww! *(this day will be a "cuddlin' day" under the tree will be a blanket and stuff to make hot chocolate for a wonderful day of cuddling. haha)
17) little funny fuzzy character i found
18) candy
19) a little strand of lights i made *(we will be going to look at christmas lights)
20) tiny little cow plush i found...it's an inside joke
21) a tiny little wrapped present *( we will be wrapping gifts and stuff. i'm not sure what tiny gift i am going to put inside the little box yet...maybe a necklace or something)
22) candy
23) you know those christmas shows that are always on this time of year? frosty the snowman...rudolph the rednose reigndeer? well i'm gonna put a little picture of one of those characters inside *(we will watch all these shows..because we love them. i will either buy the dvds or have my mom record them)
24) little clay present ornament **we will open our gifts to each other!! (since i've spent so much money on this...his gift will not be huge! i'm making us an ornament for "out first christmas" i'll also make him a card or something..and he's always wanting cds or dvds so i may get him a couple of those)

PHEWWW that was long freaking post.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006 01:12:50 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps!
BrightEyedandCrafty
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006 12:23:22 PM »

This is awesome. I'd like a tute if you don't mind. My mom used to get me a little advent calender with the little chocolates. Yours is wicked! I love it.

Courtney
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm the kind of person who laughs at a joke three times.
Once when it's told,
twice when it's explained,
and thirdly, ten minutes later when I get it.
Leeleetea
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006 12:25:02 PM »

That is perfectly adorable! I want one...!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tricotastique! leeleetea.blogspot.com
burstandbloom
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006 12:28:01 PM »

This is awesome. I'd like a tute if you don't mind. My mom used to get me a little advent calender with the little chocolates. Yours is wicked! I love it.

Courtney

thanks! i'll put a tute up in a couple hours... so just check back later ok? glad you like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps!
BrightEyedandCrafty
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006 12:40:22 PM »

Ah! Yay. I can't wait. I wanna make one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm the kind of person who laughs at a joke three times.
Once when it's told,
twice when it's explained,
and thirdly, ten minutes later when I get it.
devilninny

isnt he adorable?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006 12:58:47 PM »

very awesome!  i'd love to see more pictures too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avian Flight
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006 01:07:59 PM »

ooh yes, this is amazing! this would be a perfect gift for my annual secret santa (kris kringle) event. A tutorial would be awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
slb2724
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006 01:17:58 PM »

wow, i made one of those before, but yours is SO MUCH BETTER! id deffinitly want a tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
westcoastribbon
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006 01:23:57 PM »

I love it.  Now I just have to make one for all five kids! IN LESS THAN THREE WEEKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JennJenn

I have my hands full...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006 02:05:27 PM »

That is amazing!  I have wanted to make an advent calendar but have not seen one I like enough.  Yours is perfect and amazing!  I can't wait to find out how you made it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...Of knitting, sewing, crochet, and so much more!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Set Up a Portrait Photo Shoot
How to Do Portrait Photography
How to Take Headshots
Learn Basic Photography Techniques
How to Do Time Lapse Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...