A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,629
Currently Running With Scissors:
730 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ideas for making a baby mobile...  (Read 1236 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

showmehelen

*it's nice to be nice

View Profile WWW
« on: November 11, 2006 11:25:49 AM »

i've been asked to make a baby mobile for my sister-in-law's new baby who will be arriving very soon  Grin

i was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas about how i could go about making this?
ideally i would make it from amigurumi - but i can't crochet - which obvously would make this rather difficult!!

i can knit ok and i my sewing is not too bad. i was thinking about doing something made out of felt shapes?

do you think that it's important that the objects hanging from the mobile face downwards? i would have thought that this was an important thing, but when i've been looking at mobiles on google images, loads of them have flat pieces hanging down that should be viewed from the side rather than underneath.

any thoughts or ideas that anyone has about this will be greatly appreciated  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

qazicat
Qazicat

Just not enough hours in the day to do craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006 04:37:11 PM »

Felt shapes would be good so long as they are colourful.  I don't think it matters the ornaments hang face down,  Babies's eyes are not developed enough for them to focus on details, they see movement and colour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Qazicat Designhttp://www.netspeed.com.au/qazicat/

My Wists - http://www.wists.com/qazicat

I am willing to do personal swaps for ATCs
PhoenixDawn

Um, so how does this work?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006 03:57:20 PM »

I suggest felt too.  I just made aa mobile using felt, cut into "sky" shapes (a star, a moon, a sun, a cloud) with bells dangling from each shape.  It seems to amuse him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aileen
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006 07:57:59 PM »

I saw this in the latest babycenter magazine.
http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/magazine/mag3rdtri/1484706.html

It's made with foam pieces which sound really easy to make...or you could use the templates and make it with felt.

My friend made it and painted wooden dowels instead of ordering the mobile hooks that they say to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006 04:30:30 AM »

Try to stick with strong colours - babies can focus on them better. They can see best close - think from breast to your eyes - but can still see ok at about 5 feet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
Minis Mama
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007 03:43:17 PM »

As a mother of two - baby daugther turns one next week - Id suggest make it facing downwards as my kids preferred this kind of mobiles.

We got one when my son was born - it has flat stuffed birds attached with magnets so you can take them off an use them as toys. Two of them have sounds in - and it looks pretty from "lying under it" and from the side. You could easily do it with felt, i guess.

Heres the one we have - its not handcrafted, but maybe inspires you? Im not yet allowed to post Images here - but heres the link:

http://www.haba.de/uploads/tx_habaproducts/prod_1103_big.jpg

You have to post pics, when youre done with the mobile!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
showmehelen

*it's nice to be nice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007 02:05:16 PM »

hey guys -

thanks all so much for your help and ideas!!

I got there in the end with the mobile and i am really pleased with the results  Grin

i posted the finished artical as a new topic in completed projects here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=147239.0

i decided to use the fish pattern in the end as i thought it was so cute and it worked just as i had hoped. i found it really difficult trying to think of something that would look as good when viewed from the side as it did from underneath...
the fish should work ok though i think as although they are best viewed from the side, the underneath still has lots of interesting shapes and bright colours.

I had a word with baby alice about it who was exactly 7 days old today and she said that she wasn't so fussed about the fish facing that way anyway - phew!!

i really appreciated all your comments!!

Minis Mama - that mobile you sent a link to is ludicrously cute - i might try and make one like that next time...

h x

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Minis Mama
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007 12:33:47 AM »

hey guys -

Minis Mama - that mobile you sent a link to is ludicrously cute - i might try and make one like that next time...

Hi Helen,

your mobile is fantastic - my little girl would love this - and my cats too!

And I learned a new word by this posting - ludicrously - this forum isnt just great because of the talented people around but to get better with the english language (Im from Germany)

The mobile I posted the link to is from the german manufacturer HABA - every time i enter a childrens store I have to resist NOT spending to much money on their cute products. But as inspiration for new projects...

Bye, Minis Mama
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Select With the Polygonal Lasso Tool in Photoshop CS3
How to Select With the Selection Tool in Flash CS3
How to Set Snapping Options in Flash CS3
How to Show or Hide Rulers in InDesign CS3
How to Switch Between Merge Drawing Mode and Object Drawing Mode in Flash CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...