A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 304,753
Currently Running With Scissors:
803 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Card weaving and a rug class!  (Read 1440 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« on: November 10, 2006 03:44:45 PM »

So, what do you do when a teacher tells you they are saving you a spot in a class, even though you arenít a major in that field?  A class you really, really want to take, a class that is really hard to get in to (go interviews, teacher has to pretty much know you and portfolios/sketchbooks!), a class that is only offered once per year. A class that this might be the last time it is offerered*. And most importantly, a class that <b> only accepts ten people a year</b>. Add to that that I would just be in, she already knows my work and wants me in the class since she knows itís something I am interested in.

Well, if you are like me, you accept, duh!  And make the rest of your schedule fit around it- Iíll have seven + straight hours of classes several days a week, which should be fun in addition to the anthropology classes Iím taking, this class is really time intensive. 

O yea, and what is the class I guess would be your most important question?

I get to design a rug.  Not a small bath matt size rug. O no.  We are talking a custom (probably 7x10 + ) rug for a client that sponsors the class.  A rug that is handspun, hand dyed, and hand woven to my specifications for the client in Nepal in workshops that have been carefully selected by the teacher. Continuous warp, hand knotted everythingÖyou get the picture!  The class is also a business relations class for artists, so itís awesome I get to take a class that applies so well to what I do even though I am not an art major.

* Revolution in Nepal makes the rug industry unstable and the country problematic for touring there and the teacher goes to oversee the rugs being made.

I also learned how to card weave yesterday- Iíve read and researched it before, but when I found out my weaving instructor knew lots about card weaving, had traveled to Peru to learn about it (and other traditional techniques), well I had to learn how to do it!  She was really excited to show me- practically dragged me down to her office to find me a book and some cards, and wellÖnow I have a new addiction!

My card weaving is not so pretty yet- Iím using a rather random rug warp and need to work on my tension (who am I kidding, my tension is always bad!).  I just find it fascinating that you can get something that looks like a twill, and even do double weaves, with a series of cards (as many as you can hold, or you can tension them on a loom), and that card weaving has been done for centuries and centuries.  Ancient Egypt, China, Russian, so many places have versions of card weaving, using cards made out of materials local to them- wood, bone, ivory, hides, even playing cards can be used when cut down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006 05:43:18 PM »

Can you explain a little bit more about what card weaving is? Or, can you point me to a website that has more information? I've never heard of it, but now you've got me curious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006 07:51:35 PM »

sure!  card weaving is also called tablet weaving and its done with cards that have holes poked in them that you thread with yarn that is your warp (its a warp faced fabric).  You turn the cards towards you or away from you in sequences to make patterns.

Im learnign from a book from the 70s from my weaving teacher (sorry I dont have it with me right now, next time I am in class Ill write down several books on it), but some resources I found on the internet include:

http://www.stringpage.com/tw/tw.html

http://community.livejournal.com/card_weavers/

http://www.theloomybin.com/cw/index.html

http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~llama/fiber/cardweaving.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
quatzical
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006 01:53:36 PM »

The rug class sounds amazing! Please show us what you design. Where do you go to school? Sounds like the best way to be ridiculously busy...good luck with everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Infiknitty: handspun yarn and glass knitting needles
http://www.infiknitty.batcave.net

Pepo Passion Blog: Squash and Art
http://www.quatzical.blogspot.com
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006 07:57:02 AM »

sure!  card weaving is also called tablet weaving and its done with cards that have holes poked in them that you thread with yarn that is your warp (its a warp faced fabric).  You turn the cards towards you or away from you in sequences to make patterns.

Thanks for the info and the links! I think I'm starting to get the picture. During college, I spent my summers in a weaving mill and I can picture these thin metal strips that the warp went through. They moved up and down (driven by a cog system, I think) in different ways to make the different patterns. It was kind of cool to watch, even though I didn't know what was going on- my job was to make sure that the yarn didn't run out...and most of the folks spoke Portuguese, so I couldn't get a good explanation of how it all worked.

I'll have to do a little more studying on this and then see what I can come up with! Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Teriyaki Glazed Duck Breast
Curry Chicken with Apples and Pasta Recipe
How To Make Curry Sushi
Chicken Lajawab Recipe
Crab Ravioli Wontons w/ Chef Susanna Foo at Gourmet Kitchen
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...