A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: UHOH! Sister's birthdays - 18th AND 21st! Sesame street...?  (Read 771 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

solid_silver_cloud
« on: November 10, 2006 11:53:40 AM »

My elder sisters are coming of age! Aww!

The older one i made a bag with a felt miffy on the front for her 18th (it wasn't too great but i was young...)
  • She's studying music at uni
  • Plays piano, violin
  • likes classical music, coldplay, ben folds five
  • wants to become a librarian
  • LOVED sesame street when she was a tot!
  • wants to become a librarian

My other sister
  • going to do classical civilisations at uni, and is currently studying that, french and drama
  • likes drama
  • draws picutres in pencil of slebs in her spare time
  • her birthday party is going to be fancy dress and you have dress up like a model from the guardian weekend magazine (basically so you look funny!)
  • she's so hard to buy for!

I really wanna make something they'll actually like, they're b-days are on the 14th of december and january.

I knit and sew and can do simple embroidery and cross stitch (and crochet if  i have to!)

I was thinking for first sister something to do with sesame street?

ANY IDEAS WELCOME PLEASE!

Thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

rakechan
little Picture drawer person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006 11:59:26 AM »

Hows about a sesame st. themed bag... just the right size to carry sheet music around in or something?

As for your other sis , there are some fantastic tutorials on here for making sketch books?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
solid_silver_cloud
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006 09:28:38 AM »

thanks! those a really good suggestions!

i never thought of making it the right size for music sheets ...

sarahx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rakechan
little Picture drawer person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006 02:08:18 PM »

Otherwise I suggested to someone else on here making a portfolio folder- if your sis uses loose sheets of music a lot, maybe you could make her one to keep those in- just get some thick cardboard, and a piece of thick ribbon or a strip of fabric and bind the cardboard together- then put a ribbon or strap for tying it shut and decorate it all swishly! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazykt1286
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006 11:58:47 AM »

idk about what your family is like...i dont have sisters, so i dont quite understand that whole kind of relationship...but if i had a friend that i wanted to make something sesame street-esque for a present, i'd probly do underwear!  Cheesy like the old "day of the week" stuff and have a different character each day or something like that. stencil or embroider or whatever you'd choose...just the first thing that came to mind... lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
solid_silver_cloud
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006 10:01:00 AM »

lol underwear! That is totally the best idea and yet, kind of not appropriate... however maybe  i could make some other kind of sesame street themed day of the week thing!

And also a fodler is good because my sister (like me!) is very disorganised.

I'm so unimaginative...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krazykt1286
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006 10:43:23 AM »

if she's unorganized...sesame street planner/organizer? or calendar? might be hard to get her to use it, but i've found those things help me a TON! other sesame street things i'm thinking of...push pins w/ character's faces probly made w/ shrinky dinks...the marble magnet things w/ character's faces...pens! look for clear barrel ones that you can unscrew the end and slide in a rolled up piece of paper...you could just print off sesame street things and make pens! and a notebook to match or such. i've made notebooks and pens sets for people, they're a HIT! Smiley that's all i'm thinking of right now. and ya know, you could use some of those ideas as a present for the other sister too, just something other than sesame street...i hope i at least slightly helped...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006 05:38:03 PM »

Hmmm...I don't know how much time you have, but for a Sesame Street idea, have you seen this quilt?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=132059.0
You could take one of the panels and turn it into a tote bag- you wouldn't have to do a whole quilt! Or, since she is into Sesame Street and music, can you find some sheet music for some of the best Sesame Street songs and put them in a folder that you've collaged with Sesame Street images?

Maybe for the other sister, you could make a bunch of celebrity "masks." Get a bunch of pics of famous celebs (black and white photos would be neat, or, even better, blow up copies of her own sketches) and mount them on cardboard. Trim around them, cut out eyeholes and either attach them to sticks or put strings/elastic on them so people can wear them. Then, after she opens them at her party, people could take turns "being" the different celebrities...they'll be dressed like them anyways...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
summerlyn

Miracles happen, just ask the angels

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006 01:09:27 AM »

What about a seasame street themed Violin cosy...
My sister used to have one for her saxaphone
 It was like a huge Over the shoulder bag that her sax fit in from the top, hers had horses all over it.

And for the other one, what about a messenger/ uni bag with those Drama Smiling/Frowning faces and French writing on it?
 Or the eifel tower on dark denim, with those little white crystals on it like a night scene?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Attach Binding Strips Onto a Quilt
About the Expert: Lion Brand Yarn Studio
About the Experts: Cynthia Mann and Melissa Lunden
How to Set Up a Face Painting Booth
Trick Out Your Model Train Layout
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...