A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 307,957
Currently Running With Scissors:
342 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Top Down Raglan...along...  (Read 36595 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pmack17
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2007 10:39:37 AM »

Remember, some of those stitches will become sleeves.

Here's a calculation that might be helpful: Measure around your bust and then measure around your upper arm. Let's pretend your bust is 35 inches and your upper arm is 14. By the time you finish the increases the sweater needs to fit around 35 + 14 + 14 inches. That's 63 inches. If your gauge is 5 stitches per inch you'll need to have over 300 stitches when you finish the raglan increases.

As for the collar/neckband, I have a feeling you'll need to pick up those stitches and knit it later.

Edited to clarify: if you cast on the total number of neck stitches (big enough to fit over your head) at the beginning you can start with ribbing and get a lovely neck edge. But if you're doing the shaped neckline thing (raised in the back) I think you'll have to add the ribbing/whatever later.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007 03:57:04 PM by pmack17 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2007 01:09:37 PM »

thanks, pmack.  I'm just confused how i'm gonna have a collar going from 54 to 130-some stitches in a matter of just a couple rows that won't look like a cone.

It will be more than just a couple of rows. You'll be adding 8 stitches every other row, so that's going to take several inches before you'll be at 130 stitches.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
nosyred
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2007 01:21:29 PM »

does this mean the instructions are incorrect?  they say to increase on either side of markers B AND A, which is a total of 24 increases every row . . . .

the instructions are, word for word, as follows: Working back and forth, increase before and after each B marker on every right side row. At the same time, increase at the beginning and end of every right side row until all the right-front and left-front neck stitches are added. The center-front stitches are then cast on all at once, completing the circle.

To get from 1 stitch for L front and 1 for R front to 8 stitches for each, I'll have to add 7 stitches to each side.  This means I'll need 7 increase rows (so 14 rows total).  Since I'm increasing before and after each B marker, as well as before and after each A marker, and since there are 4 B's and 2 A's, this means that each increase row adds a total of 12 stitches.  In the 7 rows it'll take to get a total of 8 stitches for L and R front, I'll add, then, 84 stitches which, over the course of 14 rows, seems like a whole lot.  This still seems like it just CAN'T be right.  Is there a misprint in the pattern?  Where it instructs me to add stitches at B markers, does it in fact mean I should only add at A markers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pmack17
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2007 03:29:37 PM »

I'm still puzzling over this. One little correction--while you're increasing for the neck front you add a total of just 10 stitches. You increase only on the very edge of the fronts--not on both sides of the A marker. Also, remember you increase on the right side rows only.
Some perspective: for my Malabrigo cardigan, I cast on 50. After my neck increases were complete (14 rows) I had 122 stitches. Think about it--the back of your neck is small--probably only 5" or so. By the time you finish the raglan increases the sweater must fit from side to side across your back--maybe 18-20" or more. You have to do all this increasing in about 9" (length of the raglan seam).

« Last Edit: January 08, 2007 03:36:50 PM by pmack17 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nosyred
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2007 04:09:35 PM »

thanks -- this response was really helpful

one more question (I know, I know).  should I interpret the pattern as instructing me to increase at the A's AND the B's at the top, or as increasing just at the A's 'til I have all the neck stitches cast on?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pmack17
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2007 05:00:47 PM »

Pattern says: At this point, you may remove the two A markers and continue knitting, always increasing before and after each marker B on every other row.

You increase 10 stitches per increase round until you have all the front stitches added. After that you increase only 8 stitches per round  (B markers) until you reach the desired length of the raglan.

However, some designers suggest that rather than go by the length of the raglan, you increase till you have enough stitches on the front and back to go around your chest (plus ease, if you want). Just for fun you might use your gauge to figure out how these two measurements compare. This brings me to my post on page 2 talking about how the upper arms can get too big if they're increased at the same rate as the front and back.

Now that I've totally scrambled everyone's brains...
My suggestion is to make a chart of each increase you'll need and how many stitches you'll have at the end of each (even numbered) row. (You don't necessarily need to count your actual stitches). Using your row gauge you can figure out how many stitches you'll have when you reach the desired raglan length. Now compare this to your bust x stitch gauge number to see how you're doing. You'll know whether you need to make any adjustments.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nosyred
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2007 05:53:30 PM »

awesome -- thanks!

(still trying to figure out how this will work with stripes, but, eh, I'll get it sooner or later.)

edited: hell with it.  I'm gonna wide-neck this puppy to to extreme (we're talking wide, wide, boat-style neck), rib the neckline, and then not have to worry even a little about the dropped neck OR the stripes OR the rib.  (man, why did I choose to start it off with stripes?  they're totally gonna piss me off, I can tell.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007 06:57:50 PM by nosyred » THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2007 10:05:56 PM »

does this mean the instructions are incorrect?  they say to increase on either side of markers B AND A, which is a total of 24 increases every row . . . .

the instructions are, word for word, as follows: Working back and forth, increase before and after each B marker on every right side row. At the same time, increase at the beginning and end of every right side row until all the right-front and left-front neck stitches are added. The center-front stitches are then cast on all at once, completing the circle.

To get from 1 stitch for L front and 1 for R front to 8 stitches for each, I'll have to add 7 stitches to each side.  This means I'll need 7 increase rows (so 14 rows total).  Since I'm increasing before and after each B marker, as well as before and after each A marker, and since there are 4 B's and 2 A's, this means that each increase row adds a total of 12 stitches.  In the 7 rows it'll take to get a total of 8 stitches for L and R front, I'll add, then, 84 stitches which, over the course of 14 rows, seems like a whole lot.  This still seems like it just CAN'T be right.  Is there a misprint in the pattern?  Where it instructs me to add stitches at B markers, does it in fact mean I should only add at A markers?

You're overthinking the increases... there's 4 B markers, an inc before and after each one is 8 sts on every *right* side row, not every row. You'll also be increasing one stitch at the beginnning and end of each row, not before and after each A marker, so there's only 10 sts per increase row. How'd you get 24 out of that?

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Trebuchet

I already made infinity of those at scout camp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2007 08:40:53 AM »

Woohoo!! Finally finished this baby up.

I used Patons Classic Merino Wool in black.  More details over at my bloggy blog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2007 09:22:07 AM »

Well done!
You look great in it.
BeaG
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...