A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 311,406
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how did i kill my cardigan?  (Read 1105 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« on: November 10, 2006 03:55:11 AM »

i'm too distraught to post it all again, so this is copied and pasted from my blog (pictures are there if you need them).

see my first ever jumper? beautiful, sailor-esque candy, knitted in snuggly soft wool/ silk blend? she got a weeny bit of indian takeaway on her, so i went to handwash her. i used tepid water with pure soap, i didn't let the water fall straight on her, i didn't let her soak, i didn't wring her. i did gently squeeze the water out. yet when i drained the water out of the bucket and laid her out to dry - well! this! she stretched! ALOT! my fingers are stretched out and you can't even see them poking out from the cuff! [she's gained five inches in sleeve length, four inches at LEAST around the bust] the shoulders don't stay on! and she smells weird. like burnt hair.

why, why did she do this? what did i do wrong? i killed not only the first jumper i ever made, but my favourite jumper of all.

any ideas on how to fix her? or what i should do with her battered, elongated remains? (a formal burial remains a possibility. do you think the cats would dig her up?).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

koshare
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006 05:57:50 AM »

Whey you laid the seater out to dry did you use a measure to make sure you were blocking to the right dimentsions? 

Wool (and silk) will stretch a LOT when wet.  And they will dry to however big you stretch them. That is hwat akes wool so figiving if the sweater is little too small around or a little too short in length, It can be fixed inthe blocking and will stay that way until washed again.

Like wise you can block it out to be too big.

Get it wet again.  Go back to the schematic of your pattern and as you lay it out to dry, squish it up to the measurements you need it to dry to. Pat it nice and flat within those measurements. This doesn't always work, but it usually does. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mel_lovey

Sometimes a flower is all you need! ;o)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006 01:00:11 PM »

Don't worry, there's hope!!!

You likely stretched your jumper out in transit from washing, and laid it out to dry in the stretched measurements.

Get it really nice and soaked again, and instead of wringing it out, mush a bit of the water out, and then roll it up in a big fluffy towel (transport it this way to your blocking area). Gently lay it flat to measurements, making sure to fix any stretched parts. Let it dry, and it should fit.

*and to answer your question, I do think the cats would dig it up!*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely <3 Craftster!

...By the way,has anyone seen my dpns...?

blog: http://www.xanga.com/fortheloveoffood
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006 03:44:49 PM »

mmmkay. i'll give it a try.
but when i tried to lay it flat to dry, i couldn't even mush it back into the blocking measurements! like, i tried scrunching all the stitches close to each other and everything. it did shrink a little from wet to dry, but, well, not enough.

i hope i'm wrong though and you guys are right.

any idea about the burnt hair smell?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the littlest ninja

Feed that mustache, son.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006 04:16:47 PM »

In my experience, almost all wet yarn smells like burnt hair...or to me, more like hair perming solution (mom was a hairdresser).  I think it would have something to do with the dye used to dye the yarn.  It usually goes away after it dries all the way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take that you stupid corn!
DharmaLei
Don't Crowd Me, Tom

Ooooo, something shiny!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006 08:18:25 PM »

I hope you can fix it because it. is. darling.  I gasped when I saw picture #2.   Cry

Update us after you reblock?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jesdmill
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006 09:51:52 PM »

Yes... just don't pick the sweater up when it's full of water - that's when it's the most likely to stretch from the weight.  I roll mine to dry in towels, and I'm always careful not to carry around the sweater wet.  They do love to stretch!  I think it's fixable though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Xanthia

the goddess of hugs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006 11:46:18 AM »

Did you wash and block the swatch you made? Because that has to be done (or whatever care style you choose for your garment) each time you do a swatch to get the final gauge. You should be able to block it a bit smaller, but if you got gauge with your washed swatch, you should be able to block it back into the smaller shape with no problems. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006 08:05:25 PM »

Since its wool/silk, do you think washing it in warmish water might help it get smaller again? If you have any leftover yarn, I would knit up a new swatch and do experiments, noting what works and what doesn't.
And I totally think you should take up poledancing  Wink lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Garret Kramer Talks About Stillpower
Sherry Jones on Her Novel Four Sisters, All Queens
Beach House Memories Book Trailer
Michelle Harrison on Her New Book Unrest
Hilary Weisman Graham on Her Book Reunited
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...