A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty Cookin' - Fun with Fondant  (Read 2776 times)
Tags for this thread: fondant  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lindsayanne
« on: September 15, 2004 01:06:04 PM »

I tried fondant on cookies for the first time the other day. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The didn't taste very good at all, but the chance to mold the icing was worth it!

And here's a pile of (regular icing) cookies I decorated for  a cookie cutter company at the beginning of the summer
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011 03:20:04 PM by Troublet - Reason: edited dead pic links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

indiaromeo
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004 01:15:11 PM »

So cute. I love the hula girl!

I haven't ventured into the world of fondant yet, but am so inspired by your post. Did you make your own from scratch, or did you use pre-made stuff?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely things for lovely people: www.indiaromeo.com
Because MALL is a four-letter word: www.thehandmademarket.com
Handcrafted adornments for body & home: www.thehandmaidens.com
scrappygirl085
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004 01:49:25 PM »

The fondant cookies are cool -- it does taste bad, doesn't it? -- but I really the regular icing ones.  You're very talented.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lindsayanne
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004 02:29:55 PM »

Thanks!

They say the taste is much better if you put buttercream icing on underneath the fondant, but I was more concerned with how they looked so I didn't bother.

I used premixed fondant-esque stuff called Satin Ice. It's supposed to taste better than fondant, and I guess it did, but it wasnt close to as good as buttercream or royal. I liked using the premade stuff because the colors were already mixed and vibrant- and I could mix colors by kneading two balls together.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

noelle
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004 02:54:24 PM »

I tried fondant on cookies for the first time the other day. The didn't taste very good at all, but the chance to mold the icing was worth it!

seriously. i've heard everyone say it tastes bad, but is pretty.
there has got to be a better way! does anyone out there have a recipe for something that can be molded, and doesn't taste like crap?

this fine gathering of craftsters must be able to come up with something...

And here's a pile of (regular icing) cookies I decorated for  a cookie cutter company at the beginning of the summer

now how did you get that gig?

and what sort of icing recipe / tools do you use to decorate?

(i always did the cheapy, ridiculously hard with toothpicks thing..
and found cake decorating tools too big for cookies  Sad )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
norsgoebel

the cutest of the 7 deadly sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004 06:24:17 PM »

Satin Ice is one of the better tasting ready made fondants available. I use Pettinice at my work and it is pretty good.  There is one company that makes a white chocolate fondant but I couldn't really tell the difference in taste from a regular fondant. There are a few things you can do to help improve the taste.  You can knead in a small amount of clear flavorings i.e. almond extract, a clear vanilla if you can find it (tho' it's never as good as the real thing)or lemon or orange extract.  You can roll it very thin and still get pretty good coverage especially if you do a thin coat of buttercream first.  I find it is much more palatable if it is just a thin covering than the thicker. You can also use a thin coating of a thickened apricot preserve that has been strained. It helps the fondant stick to your surface and the tangyness of the apricot helps cut through the sweetness of the fondant.  You've done a beautiful job on the cookies!
This is a fondant cake I did for a show recently:

excuse the mess in the background!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take a peek!
http://www.polytypicarts.etsy.com

2 sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm sh*tfaced...N.P.
firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004 06:32:40 PM »

WOW!!! Shocked
Who can notice the mess in the background?  That cake is unbelievably beautiful!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004 06:42:42 PM »

wow!   Shocked  that cake is amazing!!!  as are the cookies!  I never realized how much could be done with different types of icing.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lindsayanne
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2004 06:44:26 PM »

What a beautiful cake! Is it real or did you use a styrofoam core? Are those fondant flowers?!!

now how did you get that gig?

I was a shoe in for the job... it's my parent's company. :-) If you're good at decorating, we trade free cookie cutters for decorated cookies.

and what sort of icing recipe / tools do you use to decorate?

With the fondant the most handy tool was a tracing tool from a pattern transfer kit!! I used a pencil with the eraser pulled out to do the mermaid's scales- that was fun.

When I use royal icing I just use the small cake decorating tips. Practice really does make perfect, I do about 4 big batches a year. I've learned a lot- I was just looking at one of the first cookies I decorated today: http://www.coppergifts.com/productcart/pc/catalog/gallery/60_z1.jpg Do you know how to "flood" a cookie? That's how you get the smooth surface (I'll post directions if you'd like)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

heebie jeebie
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2004 07:22:43 PM »

oh my gosh! what a gorgeous cake! yum yum....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Art of Silver Filigree
The Art of Kilim Carpets
The Art of Felt Making
The Art of Turkish Glass Blowing
The Art of Ebru
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...