A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Super Impossible DAD  (Read 649 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kayster
Meatloaf, Beatloaf, I HATE meatloaf

I'm growing up and living life...

View Profile WWW
« on: November 17, 2006 03:05:02 PM »

My father is a man i love and would love to give him something he truly enjoyed for christmas this year.  But here is why it is soo impossible:
1. He is a work-a-holic (sadly not by choice)
2. He travels a lot but i think getting him something travel related makes him sad that he has to travel in the first place.  and when he does travel he usually is entertaining clients or bosses on the plain and in the city he's in (hardly any time to himself).
3. he has no time for his own interest which have, in suit, dwindled away
4. He is 49
5. he had a christian rock band until about 15 years ago but still LOVES music
6.He is an amazing artist.  Better than i could explain at pastels and watercolor and photography (but doesn't have time for that anymore)
7.  He appreciates music, especially christian...i think this is the main thing i could get an idea from.

For his birthday I bought him a full season of the twilight zone which he LOVED..he like scifi and the fact it has great old famous actors in it.
I'm too strapped for cash to give him that.  i have been giving him all of my college art projects to hang up in his office all semester, i know he likes that.  I know he likes things i make him...but he is just soo darn impossible.

He works so hard and deserves soo much...I NEED SOME HELP!! Anyone??  Please??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pd8151
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006 05:23:50 PM »

How about a mini art kit?  You could make some kind of holder for his brushes/ pencils and buy a nice sketchbook and wrap it all together.  As for the music side, could you make him a nice mixed CD?  You could decorate the cover with your art.  Also I am making my dad a lottery tree.  I bought a small fake tree at a thrift store.  I am making ornaments.  Then I am going to buy $10 worth of scratch off lottery tickets and tie them on the tree.  I doubt he'll win anything but it'll be fun to try, right?  Anyway, good luck and I'm sure you can gather LOTS of ideas here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Christina

Check out my blog here:
http://variform-christina.blogspot.com/
talmina
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006 05:31:43 PM »

I would try and get the family together to get him an mp3 player and then you could make him a cozy for it out of some suiting so it is work appropriate and can store the headphones in it and stuff.  That way when he does have time for himself he can just pop the headphones in and listen.  To really make him happy, put all his favourite songs on it ready for when he opens it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kayster
Meatloaf, Beatloaf, I HATE meatloaf

I'm growing up and living life...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006 09:28:33 PM »

I told my mom to get him one today...the three of us are going to visit my brother in Hong Kong after New Years so we are all strapped for cash.  This is good though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-antihero-
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006 05:33:13 AM »

I told my mom to get him one today...the three of us are going to visit my brother in Hong Kong after New Years so we are all strapped for cash.  This is good though.

Depending on the size of the mp3 player their relatively inexpensive now, and if he doesnt have alot fo free time to himself a small one would be appropriate, you can fit a good amount onto it and if combined it as present from your family it wouldnt set you back very much at all.. i picked up on efor my dad a few days ago, can fit 200 songs (not alot in my mind/for my collection but enough for his amount of music) and only cost me 20 as was a deal in an electrical store Cheesy.  best of luck with your present though Smiley sadly i didnt have anything idea wise to say so just hope that helped a little
THIS ROCKS   Logged
talmina
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006 05:21:36 PM »

Get your brother to look into them over in Hong Kong, electrical goods tend to be rather cheap over in Asia.  Then get him to send you the measurements so you can make the cozy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Power Concedes Nothing Book Overview
Truth in Advertizing Book Launch Party at Mother New York
Unexpected Gifts Book Trailer by Chris Heuertz
She Matters by Susanna Sonnenberg
All That Is Red
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...