A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 306,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
376 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Candy Jewelry Advice?  (Read 938 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zombiebex
« on: November 08, 2006 09:41:44 AM »

Hey kids, how's things?

I'd like to make jewelry with candy, and I'm curious to know what advice you have on it.

The easiest process (in my unhead, that is. Untested.) would seem to be to just shellack little candy bits after poking a hole through them.

Now, with gummier candy, poking a hole is easier than with, say, Pez or Lifesavers. Advice on that?

Also, what kind of a shellack or sealant or whatever would you recommend? I don't want anything to disintegreate the candy.

Should I let it sit out and go stale a few days before trying anything?

Anyhow, any of your crafting expertise when it comes to sweets/food would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chile con yarne (crafts with meat) - patterns, projects, tutorials, and blog.
GeekGoddess

do you remember when we used to sing?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006 01:17:24 PM »

First of all I have to say that this is a fun project that I've been trying to do too! Maybe I'll actually get something done now that thanksgiving break's rolled around. Smiley

As for advice? Well, my first try poking holes went very well. I was making conversation heart earrings. I put a needle (wrap the dull end in tape or something or it'll get too hot to touch and your pretty fingers get burned. Thank my science teacher for that.) or a pin in a candle flame until it was hot, then pokied the needle through the candy. It took a bunch of reheating and repoking the same place before the needle went all the way through, but it was well worth it. A benefit? The whole room smelled like sugar for a good hour afterwards. Smiley

As for the shellac... I just use clear nail polish. Cheap if you buy @ the dollar store or something (Wet N' Wild and NYC makeup sell their polish for 99 cents). Just make sure you poke your holes /before/ you polish. I'm not sure what kind of fumes would be given off by melting dry nail polish, and I don't want to try.  Tongue   

Now I'm re-inspired... I'm going to go try with goldfish crackers... Good luck!

<3, Ruthie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She's the butterflies in my stomach,
The hearts that lay scattered over every page.

She's the reason I smile when I'd otherwise cry,
And the enchanting young actress dominating my stage.
chocoholique

obsessed with knitting.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006 02:22:32 PM »

Hi, great idea.  This will work well and look great.  Just shellac (sp?) everything well and you are good to go.

My only advice for the gummy candy jewelry? Don't wear it out in the direct sunlight...it will morph a little from the heat.  Otherwise it will last a long time!

My mom used to make wreath-shaped Xmas ornaments out of mini pretzels (with ribbon woven thru to hold it together) and would shellac the pretzels before she shaped them into wreaths and then would shellac them afterwards.  It was a cool project and I wish I had a picture to show you.  All I can say is that we made these together in like, 1986, and we still hang em on the tree every year.  Thus, shellac is a great preservative.

Also, I have a hair clip i bought in Budapest about 7 years ago that's made out of gummy bears.  Glued onto a clip and shellaced and still intact.  A lady had set up a table on the street & was selling these and other hair clips she had made out of different foodstuffs and flowers.  (Very creative!)  I will take a pic maybe later to show everyone, it's great.

cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my newly minted knitting blog:
http://knitsbyshannon.wordpress.com/
saucerville

Art. It's what I do.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006 07:09:45 PM »

to poke a hole I would recommend a bead reamer, available for $5 at most bead/hobby shops.  They're durable and won't hurt you unless you're really dumb.  And Shellac, clear nail polish would be far less durable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Caribbean Pirate Halloween Makeup
How to Get Mummy Halloween Makeup
How to Get Cat Halloween Makeup
How to Get Vampire Halloween Makeup
How to Get Butterfly Halloween Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...