A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,792
Currently Running With Scissors:
762 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Secret Hollowed-out books (plus an iPod case!)  (Read 11005 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

twistedfates
pretty pretty princess

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2006 09:40:33 AM »

Yay! This is my first Craftster project. Anyway...

I got really bored this four-day weekend. So, I decided to get off my lazy butt and make a hollowed out book from this tutorial.
http://how2dostuff.blogspot.com/2006/02/how-to-make-secret-hollow-book.html

Here's the first book I made (it helps to choose books no one would ever read). It took about three hours, including drying time, being a 400 or so page book...

Here's the next one I made. I used a diary this time, since it can use a lock closure for the extra security. Plus, I got it 5 years ago and I needed to put some use to it...

And here's my favorite out of all.... THE IPOD BOOK CASE! Sadly, I'm giving this to my boyfriend, but I loved making it so much. This one took a while to finish, having to carve out more than one hole and attaching the Velcro without it ripping the pages out. I hope he doesn't mind that I used Emily of New Moon...

This compartment is for the headphones...

Here's where the iPod goes. I also cut out a rather large portion of the top of the book so he can plug headphones in whether it be the iPod headphones or the funky ones that are kinda L-shaped at the end...

Here's an aerial view of the top, to get an idea of the hole for the headphones.

Hope you enjoy the pictures! Any comments would be loooved.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahpanda
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006 10:01:01 AM »

THe iPod one is super-cool, can you imagine the looks he'll get when he plugs his headphones into a book?! Brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchypanda.etsy.c om
gmail chat: sarahpanda
twistedfates
pretty pretty princess

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006 10:06:15 AM »

THe iPod one is super-cool, can you imagine the looks he'll get when he plugs his headphones into a book?! Brilliant!

Haha, I was just imagining that. Not to mention it's the book Emily of New Moon (basically from the same author of the Anne of Green Gables series). I plan on stuffing it with candy when I give it to him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raina.storms
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006 10:43:54 AM »

Cool! I've seen these for sale, but never thought of making my own. Thanks for the tute link!

I think I like your diary one the best, but what are keeping in these, if you don't mind my asking...? I only ask because that one is a rather shallow 'box'. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twistedfates
pretty pretty princess

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006 10:47:11 AM »

Cool! I've seen these for sale, but never thought of making my own. Thanks for the tute link!

I think I like your diary one the best, but what are keeping in these, if you don't mind my asking...? I only ask because that one is a rather shallow 'box'. Wink

No prob, just spreading the love. I'm actually keeping my money stash in the diary, since it's nice and shallow and it has a lock.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006 11:43:00 AM »

The books look really great, you did a nice job carving out the pages.  I screwed that up on the one I tried to make.

The iPod one is sheer brilliance.  You may have given me a reason to try this again!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raina.storms
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006 11:50:04 AM »

Cool, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Merliquin

Saving the world since 1100 AD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006 07:01:49 AM »

very nice job!

I made a hollowed book out of an oxford dictionary once.  Tongue
that took forever.

the Ipod case is very nifty. smart idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twistedfates
pretty pretty princess

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006 09:49:07 AM »

Thanks for all the compliments! I gave it to the boy (with little candies in the pockets since he loves Skittles and Starbursts) and he nearly exploded with excitement. He spent the entire football game looking at it and eating the candies.

I brought into school for a test run beforehand to see the durability and the reactions I would get. It held up really well and none of the pages started falling apart. Most people were shocked there was an iPod inside. Now people are asking me to hollow out books for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Empress
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006 03:16:13 PM »

Business making in the plan!
I really like the ipod idea, I'm gonna try it... It'll definately save any electronics from the annoying scratches you can get being in a bag full of keys and whatnots.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
phluffster
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006 11:46:18 AM »

hehehe this thread got me so excited i promptly set to work on 'the science of self-realization' (a hare krishna book bestowed on my boyfriend which i rescued from the back of his car). and may i just say this..

i fall on my knees in awe at your finished product. I don't think i have the patience to get even a reasonable facsimicile of your books. Hmph.

they're awesome.
xx
C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shout
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006 05:51:39 PM »

Sweeeeeeeet.

The all-time most creative Ipod related craft ever.  (and probably also the most time-consuming)  Wink

Dang.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Project Vox -  What will you say?

I, Shout, along with fellow artist, Howl, make 5x4" cardstock booklets with our artwork on them, and leave them in random places for people to find.  The goal: to inspire and provoke thought

Have you seen any of our cards?

oceanovox.bravehost .com
AmyGroovy3

Ha Ha Ha - but only soft ones...with hard bits in!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006 04:14:05 AM »

how do you make it?, do you have to stick every page together?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jlw21
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007 08:22:04 PM »

cool ipod book!  i made a few of the standard hollowed out books once and glued in some pieces of dark colored felt to hide the uneven edges where the pages were cut out.  it looked classy and helped protect the stuff in there too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007 10:40:47 AM »

thats cool, but I couldn't cut up a book

My 2 loves, Crafts and reading.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
Kelda
Pirate Queen

Rock on the dock and never stop.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007 07:53:27 PM »

This rocks on the dock and never stops. Honestly. I freaking love it. I will be making my own hollow-book iPod case in the near future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fearlessly willing to try new crafts ... and usually botching them horribly.
My wists
poohbear92

Young Crafter!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007 12:33:29 PM »

omg i really love that. it is SO creative!! i am thinking about making it for my friend, she always listens to music in class and finds sneaky ways to do it, and i think this will be a great gift for her!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

old enough to know better
young enough to do it anyways.
moonstruckdragonlass
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007 09:38:20 PM »

3 guesses what my boyfriend's getting for his birthday!

. . .yes. paints. *Dies*

Absolutely brilliant Idea. I'm fond of super strange cases for my iPod, and this'll be the third such case i'll have pulled off of craftster for my darling Trygg. ^^ Fabulous idea, thanks. ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hotty_blond2000

Crafting, Internet, and Pepsi are my weaknesses!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007 02:00:48 AM »

I so need to do this some day.
But i need more hardcover books.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redwitch
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007 06:09:12 PM »

Wow, I am so glad I popped in from the knitting forum! I made one for the boy's ipod nano and he thought it was amazing and asked me to make a hidey-hole one for him too! (Dropped me three days later)

I made a much better one for myself: my nano earphones plug in at the bottom of the ipod, so I put the nano on top, and the headphone compartment beneath with a tiny cavity going from ipod earplug hole into the earplug compartment, and another from compartment to the outside, so I can listen to it with the cover closed, then put away the earplugs in their compartment without unplugging them.

Mine's better than his first one because I lined the earplug storage compartment with leopardskin felt, and the cavity for the ipod above has a piece of sponge in it, about one centimetre bigger around, with an ipod-sized and shaped rectangle cut out, so ipod fits in perfectly. Another layer underneath, so the back of the ipod's cushioned too, and a similar layer glued to the inside of the front cover to cushion the front when the cover is closed.

Flocking would also be a good idea for anyone who wants a lining - but you would probably need to use some kind of filler to flatten, straighten, smooth, and even out the sides, as below a couple of centimetres, being super-careful will help, but not keep the sides perfect.

Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
6iggle

art. fashion. love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007 08:28:41 PM »

wow i really wanna try this, thanks for the link! i love the ipod one hahha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

----------- >8

✯My Etsy!✯  www.iiiNa.etsy.com

✯My Blog!✯  www.PiiiNaColada.bl ogspot.com

✯My Wists!✯   www.wists.com/paulinaa
phluffster
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007 08:12:28 PM »

Another funky way to cover up the rough page edges after you've hollowed the book is to collage over it using the pages you've ripped out. It looks really cool.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LOaccidentallyVE
I'm the lost one.

I HATE Valentine's Day!!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007 05:33:42 PM »

Hey, those are neat. I'm making a book case for my MP3 player. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~*Stormy*~*

I'm just a girl.

My name is Crash. Don't make me prove it! Wink

I'm a Craftster Goddess!! Cheesy
karavshin
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2007 08:32:41 AM »

Paper is horribly hard to get clean, smooth cuts on.  Almost need a wood router that works on paper. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redwitch
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2007 04:20:47 PM »

It's okay if you are patient, slow, and keep discarding the blades once they get even a bit blunt. A huge pain in the arse, but doable. I have used polyfiller on the insides to fill them in/smooth them out and been very happy with the results.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Dictionary
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2008 08:11:59 PM »

When I read hollowed out book and iPod case I looked at my Zune sitting in the dock in front of me and thought, I'm going to hollow out a book for my Zune, exactly like you did for the iPod, but with a smaller opening for the headphones... 

Also, this is exactly what I'm making my best friend for his birthday, or any old time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<a href="http://cancasta.blogspot.com/">My Blog</a>
redwitch
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2008 03:59:25 AM »

Do it do it do it! It's a lot of fun (if you are patient and take pleasure in doing things right, still fun if you don't quite have that patience) and the result is incredibly satisfying.

As an update: I have since done a hidey-hole cavity (not specifically shaped for an iPod), not quite so perfectionisty, and used polyfiller (not sure of the American word, but that stuff from the hardware shop that's used to fill in nail holes and other gaps in gib, like liquid/paste plaster that is applied with a trowel). It would have been okay - nicely squared edges - alone, but after applying flocking (a bag of tiny individual fibres, you paint the inside with glue and put in a spoon of fibre, close the lid and shake it around to stick to and coat the inside, afterward it looks like it is covered in velvet) it is fantastic.

Here's mine: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=179595.0
Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gardenpicnic
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008 12:08:44 PM »

Awwwwwwwwww, the ipod one is soooo awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pookzilla
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008 09:04:33 AM »

This is exactly what I want for my iPhone and plan on trying it out this weekend.  I plan on combining the book with a foam insert covered in a velvet-like material - that should keep my darling secure.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emily_jane
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2008 04:41:34 AM »

I've been thinking about making one for my cellphone.  Hehehehe.... Grin

*edit*
A thought just entered my mind!  I think I'm gonna make a kit for my boyfriend's... ehem.... hobby.... So his parents won't get too suspicious.  Weeee! He's gonna love it!  Thank you for the idea!!!!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008 04:44:16 AM by emily_jane » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rrose_cestlavie
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2008 02:27:06 AM »

the ipod one reminds me of something my professor had a girl in my class do last semester. he wanted us to always carry our sketchbooks with us, and when she wasn't carrying hers he asked if she had her cellphone and if she always had her phone. of course she did, so he told her to hollow out a cell phone sized hole in her sketchbook to keep her phone in so that she would always have her sketchbook. hahaha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2008 09:18:15 AM »

the ipod one reminds me of something my professor had a girl in my class do last semester. he wanted us to always carry our sketchbooks with us, and when she wasn't carrying hers he asked if she had her cellphone and if she always had her phone. of course she did, so he told her to hollow out a cell phone sized hole in her sketchbook to keep her phone in so that she would always have her sketchbook. hahaha.

Did it work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
middlebrook
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2008 05:03:41 PM »

Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craftster Goal: Less Lurking! More Working!
xflora
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2008 05:30:10 PM »

reminds me of those spy movies where people hide video cameras in books Tongue

I love the iPod Hollowed-Out book =)
Good purpose for it too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rrose_cestlavie
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2008 10:56:39 PM »

Did it work?

you know, i don't know. she moved to a different drawing table after that, so i didn't get a chance to creep on her sketchbook. haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Ken the Eagle from Science Ninja Team Gatchaman
How to Draw Master Croc from Kung Fu Panda 2
How to Draw Marty from Madagascar 3
How to Draw Mike Wazowski from Monster Incorporated
How to Draw Master Thundering Rhino from Kung Fu Panda 2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...