A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 307,944
Currently Running With Scissors:
279 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting knewbie! What should I buy?  (Read 1501 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2006 09:05:47 AM »

So someone who has only knitted once in her life (and gave up on it) wants to start again. What kind of needles and yarn should she buy if she wants to start out simple with scarves and potholders?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dom: "This guy was a nightmare to work with, the Balrog. He had a huge trailer, never came out, never bought a round when we went to the bar, do you remember?"

Billy: "Very rude."
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006 10:24:55 AM »

I'd say go with larger needles 6-8 mm (that's US 10-11) and worsted or chunky yarn for scarves. Don't use eyelash or fuzzy yarns at first, its really hard to see your stitches. You can use the smaller size and cotton yarn for potholders or washcloths.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Radioactivecrafter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006 10:47:23 AM »

Size 8 needles are my favorites to start new people on, they are not too small or too huge. As for yarn I recommend a worsted weight, and like soozeq said, do not go for anything fuzzy, or really even textured. When I started knitting I had a hard time with the chunky yarn I started with and decided to get something easier, but even though it looked pretty normal it had this odd texture that made it all splitty. Plain Red heart is pretty go to learn on, but I would recommend getting a smaller skein, as there is far too much yarn in the supersaver size if you do not have a plan for it. Happy Knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karls_mommy
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006 10:54:34 AM »

I started only a few weeks ago, and started buying everything.  After reading more on here, I took a ton of it back because I didn't need it.  Most of the easier patterns I've seen call for size 8 needles, and this is all I used up until my current patter (a chunky knit sweater).  I also have been buying Caron and Red Heart yarns due to the fact that they are cheap.  I would be too agitated if I bought really nice, fancy yarn, only to mess up the project with newbie mistakes.

I did recently but a lot of vintage needles on ebay, which also had several different size stitch holders thrown in, for like $10.  A real steal for 17 pairs of needles, and stitch holders.  Another auction I got a 15 set of circular needles for $22.  I would say you probably don't need these yet.  I don't really need them yet, but couldn't pass on the price!

I agree with other that chunky yarns are a good bet for the projects you want to do.  I just got into these Red Heart Bright and Lofty yarns, and at first I was intimidated by the mix of threads in the yarn, but now I find it is actually quite easy to see my stitches.

HTH!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScotSkipper402
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006 11:12:40 AM »

Get some varigated yarn. It's fun to see the colors change AND it's easier to see stitches.

I'd also go up in price: nicer yarn looks ... well, nicer. And the finished product is better looking. AND knitting is a sensory experience: acrylic is not very sensuous.

You can get nice yarn for cheap in thrift stores. Look for old sweaters to rip out.

IMHO, circular needles are easier to handle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
honeydew
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006 11:41:15 AM »

... I would be too agitated if I bought really nice, fancy yarn, only to mess up the project with newbie mistakes.

You can always unravel what you knit up, no matter how disastrous it looks Smiley 

Along those lines, thrift store sweaters might be the cheapest source of yarn in sweater-size volume.

I bought some cheapy red heart acrylic to practice new techniques on as well, but I end up hating it b/c of the way it feels on my hands and the way the thickness of the yarn changes (it is not a thick-and-thin yarn, so should be uniform).  So if you don't want the extra steps of frogging thrift store goodies and then re-winding the yarn, grab something a little nicer than scratchy acrylic.  Knitting should be fun, and hurting hands will not make it fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karls_mommy
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006 12:24:01 PM »

You can always unravel what you knit up, no matter how disastrous it looks Smiley 

Along those lines, thrift store sweaters might be the cheapest source of yarn in sweater-size volume.

I bought some cheapy red heart acrylic to practice new techniques on as well, but I end up hating it b/c of the way it feels on my hands and the way the thickness of the yarn changes (it is not a thick-and-thin yarn, so should be uniform).  So if you don't want the extra steps of frogging thrift store goodies and then re-winding the yarn, grab something a little nicer than scratchy acrylic.  Knitting should be fun, and hurting hands will not make it fun.

True!  Of course I am far too stubborn to rip out too much.  And there are some acrylics that I think feel nice.  The RH Bright and Lofty is a dream to touch.  Don't get me wrong, I fancy the idea that if let loose in a REAL yarn shop, I would put poor hubby in bankruptcy.  I just have to be frugal...for now.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScotSkipper402
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006 01:09:55 PM »

the one yarn NOT TO TOUCH is "Homespun". (Lion? Red Heart?)

There's a nylon thread binding the fluffy stuff together that misbehaves if you haven't mastered tension.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
soozeq
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006 01:27:41 PM »

Homespun is Lion, and it's not too bad, but not good for new knitters. Caron's Simply Soft is a nice one to work with too.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
cinnamon teal
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006 12:25:55 PM »

When I was a new knitter I really liked using Lion's Brand Thick and Quick with those really big, plastic needles.  It's pretty cheap and you can make stuff really fast.  It's also really easy to see what you're doing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
OOOOOHKLAHOMA! Where the wind...
Tute Tuesday: Hand-Bound Book
A Little Birdie Told Me

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...