A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Black velvet teacup bag  (Read 1191 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bee_U_Tiffle
« on: November 07, 2006 03:57:48 AM »

This bag is made from quilted squares.  I used a black velvet as the base fabric and a teacup quilting fabric inside each square.  The blocks are made from a larger square enfolding a smaller square with mitred corners and are quilted.  This way you get a self made backing inside as you go.

I was in a hurry, didnt pay much attention to the instructions so mine turned out a bit different.  I did 54 rows not 4x4 so I ended up with a deeper bag.

This turned out to make quite a firm bag which actually stands up nicely on its own as you can see above. The top sits open in a square by itself and the base forms a square.  The velvet was not good to sew - very slippery and I had to do a fair bit of hand tacking to sandwich my layers together properly.  It was worth it in the end, I was pleased with the firmness of the sides yet the velvet is so nice and soft to touch and carry.

The handles are purchased wire ones which I covered in a ruched skinny tube of black velvet and added 4 wooden beads on the ends.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006 04:54:55 AM »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love it!!  You did a beautiful job on this!  If I didn't sew bags, I would definitely buy this if I saw it in a store (actually, I'd probably buy it anyway!!) Cheesy

I know I'll sound pushy here, but if you were ever so inclined, I'm sure others besides myself would love to know how you did this bag, or maybe you used a pattern? 

Anyway...it's fantastic!

(PS: Love the shape and the handles, too!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.co m
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006 06:02:57 AM »

This is a wonderful bag!  I love tea, so I feel sure I wouldn't be able to walk past this without scooping it up!!

Can you tell us where the instructions you used were from?  It looks like there are some very interesting techniques in this bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bee_U_Tiffle
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006 02:47:14 AM »

Thanx Katxana and runnermom   glad you liked the bag. I've made an attempt at a tutorial, my first! so I hope it makes sense.  The handles are the wire kind where you can unscrew the ends and thread stuff like beads on them - wish I could find another pair.  The original pattern (which I no longer have)  had longer fabric shoulder straps so that is also an option for handles for a shoulder bag.  Use less or more squares to adjust the depth of your bag.  Just always have 4 rows.

Bee

« Last Edit: January 01, 2011 09:08:56 AM by kategirl - Reason: Fixed coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006 06:00:36 AM »

That bag is so clever!  And your tutorial is great.  Thanks so much for posting it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Broiled Miso Salmon With Shitake Mushrooms and Corn
Asian Steak and Noodle Salad
Ginger Chicken in Parchment
How To Make Chicken Pho
How to Make a Gramercy Park Roll
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...